mutaullyassuredsuffering

Thieves at Green Mtn.

After finishing a great night ride I rolled up to the Rooney Lot at around 7:00. A woman stopped me explaining someone had broken into her car, and asked if I saw anything. I looked over to see all my clothes thrown out into the lot, and my useless possesions (books) lining the road on the way out. I figure $2500 worth of crap and the window.

She called the police and a jeffco sheriff came up. She explained it was lakewood's jurisdiction and we would have to work with them. Lakewood then explained on the phone that they won't send anyone out that far, so we just have to file an online report...no investigation. Apparently that is a great place to break into cars and get away with it since it falls into that hole. She said there had also been a couple break-ins there last week.

This puts a bit of a damper on my night-riding ritual... not sure where to park now.
    Free will is an illusion, people will always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

Awesomist™
    Sorry to hear that man, but a good warning to the rest of us - don't leave anything in your car of value out there. SO lame.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Living the High Life
    Glad to hear the cops are out protecting and serving. I wonder if that new off ramp has anything to do with the easy access to cars in that lot.

Light freak
    It doesn't help that we post when and where we will be there for them.

Best thing to do is remove all valuables and put them in your trunk. Then roll down the windows and leave the car unlocked. It is usually replacing the window that cost the most.

As I am typing this, I am thinking a"sting" might be fun. Set-up a night ride, leave a car with some valuables in sight, have a lookout watching the car, when a suspect hits it a car zooms in and blocks the exit to the parking lot. Then about 15 MTBR's swoop down to level some justice. What are they going to do, phone in the report?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scar
    Best thing to do is remove all valuables and put them in your trunk. Then roll down the windows and leave the car unlocked. It is usually replacing the window that cost the most.
    putting stuff in your trunk does absolutely no good - in fact i would discourage it - many times thieves are watching you and if they see you drop stuff in the trunk your car will be hit. At least that is what happened to me.

skillz to pay billz
    $2500 in random useless possessions?

Light freak
    Originally posted by hungryhead
    putting stuff in your trunk does absolutely no good - in fact i would discourage it - many times thieves are watching you and if they see you drop stuff in the trunk your car will be hit. At least that is what happened to me.
    How in the heck did they get in your trunk? Did you leave the keys in it (just kidding)? Did they pry it open with a prybar?

mutaullyassuredsuffering

randon

Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    $2500 in random useless possessions?
    I admit it's dumb to have all that crap in my car, but being that I ride on the way home from work, I have no choice but to have my wallet, cloths, briefcase, etc. Normally, its in the trunk but I was in a hurry to get out of there.There is really no safe place to stash things in my car.

The random useless stuff was thrown out the window and left behind.

The $2500 is crap that is gone.

Also to rectify the Lakewood folks, I talked to an officer today. I was in between their shifts, so that is why no-one was available.
    Free will is an illusion, people will always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

Stiff yet compliant
    Most cars have a trunk release inside the car. No keys needed, just break the window and pull the lever. However this feature is easily disabled.
    With all these posts about break-ins I am seriously thinking about trading my current vehicle for a sedan with a locking trunk as my mountain biking transport.
    The response from law enforcement is troublesome. Does Lakewood police normally have a down time between shifts?
    "Sorry ma'am we can't investigate that murder right now. We are between shifts and no one is available."

mutaullyassuredsuffering

Time

Quote Originally Posted by Moustache rider
    Most cars have a trunk release inside the car. No keys needed, just break the window and pull the lever. However this feature is easily disabled.
    With all these posts about break-ins I am seriously thinking about trading my current vehicle for a sedan with a locking trunk as my mountain biking transport.
    The response from law enforcement is troublesome. Does Lakewood police normally have a down time between shifts?
    "Sorry ma'am we can't investigate that murder right now. We are between shifts and no one is available."
    It sounds like they only have one dude assigned to vehicle theft at a time in that area. In their defense, I can understand why...He actually is a pretty helpful guy, but one officer can only go so far...

I heart the drops
    Quote Originally Posted by scar
    As I am typing this, I am thinking a"sting" might be fun. Set-up a night ride, leave a car with some valuables in sight, have a lookout watching the car, when a suspect hits it a car zooms in and blocks the exit to the parking lot. Then about 15 MTBR's swoop down to level some justice. What are they going to do, phone in the report?
    I support you scar count my 210lbs of fury on your side
    "its not how slack your head angle is, its how you ride the bike"

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    I'm really glad my car is a p.o.s.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by giantsaam
    2nd that, I volunteer my 215 lbs for that opperation

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Blocking the gate sounds like a good idea! then calling authorities! "Guy must have used his face to break the window not sure how he got all bloody! "
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I like the vigilante sting idea. Its most likely the same individual(s) doing it. After the thieves are busted or broken we could post a sign "Steal at your own risk"
    Add another 210 to the list.

Stiff yet compliant
    Quote Originally Posted by giantsaam
    I heard the thief rides a rigid single speed 29er.

how heavy are you ??
    Yup I will find the time to get midevil on his a**. BTW I weigh on the light side @ 251.... LOL. Gonna be a shitty day for someone
    What does Marsellus Wallace look like, A BIT*H?

I Crash Often
    Nov 2006
    A sting would be a great idea. Thieves should be punished and if Peace OFFICERS aren't going to do anything, someone has to do it. It's only ethical that people are punished. I'm sure if you call the police and say "I've reported break-ins at GM and no one came, but now I'm going to take beat the sh!t out of the thief..." they might come?

mtbr member
    yes - i highly encourage all vigilante stings - they are always a good idea and a great way to spend your free time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    We need to send Kurt Russell as Wyatt Earp over to the Rooney Road lot...."You tell them I'm coming, and Hell's comin' with me!!!"

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwW_y2TuW58

Thieves be warned were coming for you!!!
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

skillz to pay billz
    My measly 175lbs probably won't do any good. I'll probably just stay home.

I heart the drops
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    My measly 175lbs probably won't do any good. I'll probably just stay home.
    Not true we can always use you as a projectile
    "its not how slack your head angle is, its how you ride the bike"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by used2Bhard
    After finishing a great night ride I rolled up to the Rooney Lot at around 7:00. A woman stopped me explaining someone had broken into her car, and asked if I saw anything. I looked over to see all my clothes thrown out into the lot, and my useless possesions (books) lining the road on the way out. I figure $2500 worth of crap and the window.

She called the police and a jeffco sheriff came up. She explained it was lakewood's jurisdiction and we would have to work with them. Lakewood then explained on the phone that they won't send anyone out that far, so we just have to file an online report...no investigation. Apparently that is a great place to break into cars and get away with it since it falls into that hole. She said there had also been a couple break-ins there last week.

This puts a bit of a damper on my night-riding ritual... not sure where to park now.

Hard economic times make people do stupid things. I would suggest if at all possible riding your bike to GM. There are a ton of residental areas that you could park, go ride and come back to your car. I used to live on the North side of GM and I could ride right out my door. That's not the case now, but boyfriend and I don't park at trailheads nor leave any possessions worth stealing in the car. We carry what we need.

Sorry about your lost, I know if it was me I would be very disappointed.
    Ride Fast, Take Chances!

friend of Apex
    ... not sure where to park now.
    Ironworks
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Your bike is incorrigible
    add my 230 lbs.

let's stand at the top and roll large boulders down on any suspicious characters.

mtbr member
    I’ll volunteer my 150lbs and my friend Louisville slugger….We'll bash some heads

Shread Ready
    Sorry to hear about your loss. I remember reading about thieves hitting trail heads earlier this season. It makes since that we'd be easy targets with potential valuables in our cars while going on long rides. Ever since then I've taken a little extra precaution when I got trail riding. I guess I haven't seen any sketchy characters hanging out so I've been lucky. However, I never ride at night so that might help also. Please film the Mtn Biker vigilante justice.. Well, maybe not but it would make for a good youtube video.

mtbr member
    The whole idea of an angry mob of MTBrs rolling in on a would be theive and blasting them is so awesome.

Seriously, think about it... That would make the news, and if the beating was severe enough, the rest of the thieves would know to steer clear!

These pr$cks are like roving miscreants. It used to be Matthews Winters, now it's Green Mountain. It really sucks to have 'emptying your car' as one of the pre-ride must-do's. But thats what i've been doing for the past few years.

To the OP- sorry man. Hopefully you can replace your stuff without too much damage to the wallet.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR
    Ironworks
    FTMFW! You kill 3 birds with one stone.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    People! Take your wallet WITH you.

mutaullyassuredsuffering

Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    People! Take your wallet WITH you.

I did that once and it flew out of my jersey pocket. I had a 2.5 hour ride in the dark (without a real light) to go find it. Da$%ed if I do, Da^%ed if I don't...

I just wanted to raise everyone's awareness with night-riding season beginning, that the azzhats are hitting GM lots weekly.

Really, I'm not that hacked off about this whole deal. It's happened to my friends, I accepted the fact that it was just a matter of time before it happened to me. My buddy was going to buy a car the evening after his buff creek ride this summer, and lost an envelope with $6,000 in cash in addition to another $5000 in crap. My loss is light in comparison. I'm also not mad at the cops. They can't do a whole lot here. Of course, I want to give these thieves a canoe shaped head for making me waste a day of my life fixing my car, getting a new license, cancelling cards, putting fraud alert on my SSN, etc. Insurance will cover most the crap. I was free to ride on Tuesday as well and wasted it getting a new window. That was the biggest loss!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I did that once and it flew out of my jersey pocket. I had a 2.5 hour ride in the dark (without a real light) to go find it. Da$%ed if I do, Da^%ed if I don't...
    Guess that's a pretty good argument to always ride with a Camelback. Cheap theft insurance.

I just wanted to raise everyone's awareness with night-riding season beginning, that the azzhats are hitting GM lots weekly.
    Thanks for the PSA, for sure!

Really, I'm not that hacked off about this whole deal. It's happened to my friends, I accepted the fact that it was just a matter of time before it happened to me. My buddy was going to buy a car the evening after his buff creek ride this summer, and lost an envelope with $6,000 in cash in addition to another $5000 in crap.
    WTF? I'd be hard pressed to put $5000 worth of possessions in my car. And I can only DREAM of an envelope with $6K in it.

mutaullyassuredsuffering

Yup

Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    WTF? I'd be hard pressed to put $5000 worth of possessions in my car. And I can only DREAM of an envelope with $6K in it.

He basically lives in his truck = traveling salesman. He stopped on his way to buy a new car at buff creek for a short ride.

My imagination has created a little story....the passenger is leaving the crime scene and going through the clothes...hmmm what's this little envelope?hmmm holooooolllly crap!....and then trying to tell the driver that you just found an empty envelope and was surprised by how wonderful the guys coat was... No no you take the wallet, I'm good with just this coat!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Well, I went through this at Greenbelt Plateau a few weeks ago. My car was unlocked so they just opened the door and took my daypack full of crap. I had my wallet, camera and phone with me. It almost seems as if my thief was just learning because he didn't take the camera on the floor of the car or my garage door opener or didn't rifle through any of my bike stuff.

Now, after talking with lots of people afterwards about their incidences I took out all personal info from both my vehicles (business cards, insurance cards...anything with my name or address or phone numbers on them). That includes Proof of Insurance and Car Registration (I now keep them in my ever-fattening wallet). I haven't given up my garage door openers yet but I stick them far under my driver's seat when I get out (of course, what garage door are they going to open if they don't know where I live?) A few days ago before I drove to a trailhead I took EVERYTHING out of my car and left it in my garage. So much for spare helmet/bike repair stuff with me, it's all at home from now on.

I now only have one camera with me and it goes on my ride or goes under the seat when I go to a store. I hate being this paranoid but it almost seems stupid these days NOT to be paranoid.

And as I said in that other thread, tonight when you get home turn your wallet upside down, dump everything on the floor and take a picture of it. Same with your purses, ladies, dump it all out and take a pic. It'll make filling out a police report that much easier.

The sheriff's deputy that took my report has called me back and would love for me to give him the license plate numbers (and bumper stickers, other identifying marks) of "suspicious vehicles". Maybe if we all get our info to that deputy he might get more done (even if he's out of Boulder County) than some understaffed department elsewhere.
    So it seems to me to be, this thing that I think I see.

Tribe Member
    I would suggest maybe parking at Front Room Pizza or the strip mall right off of Jewell and DeFrame. It is a short ride to GM from there and then you have a place to eat after the ride.

That totally sucks though. My parents live right over there, so I park in front of thier house.

The other place you might want to park at is either the Safeway on Alameda or the church that is right on the corner of Alameda and Utah by the small parking lot.

I will be there with beers to help out catching these punks....that way I can use the bomber bottle over thier head to slow them down.
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

mtbr member
    I like mtn biker vigilantes and the ism that follows. I love being paranoid. Thieves beware- if you're watching, I'll be waiting!

mtbr member

Good place to park

The church mentioned is a good place to park, the cops actually sleep in there cars in that lot.

ENDO!!!
    how about electrifying your car? Anyone who touches it gets zapped! knocked on there arse until the cops get there...... probably some liability issues there... never mind.... of course there is always the TRUNK MONKEY!!!!!
    Just circles turning circles....

mtbr member
    Maybe get a box for a laptop or something. Then fill it with those exploding dye packs. Oh yeah and put a skunk in the box.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Originally Posted by used2Bhard
    ... not sure where to park now.

Ironworks
    Yup only a lil ways down the road and really busy. Park directly facing the dog park and there is a constant flow of peoples and the cars are plainly visible from the park. Then you just cut across Alemeda to the water tower road and the trail.
    http://www.lakewood.org/comres/page....&ForsbergPark/

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Man, that really blows.....a sign of the times.

Someone mentioned it earlier in the thread, but things are tight out there right now for a lot of people and think of how easy it is to smash and grab...especially while we're riding away on our bikes for at least an hour. I now know I'm not alone as 3 weeks ago I lost my ass by thinking that parking in a lot, in front of tennis courts that were heavily lit, and lots of people, that I was immune! Not a chance. I'm guessing that they are everywhere lurking. If you are riding away from your car, chances of someone watching you is good.

Count me in for the Vigilante route...I need to take $5000 in frustration out on someone's a$$!...and I can throw in 250 and a mean streak!
    Guerilla Gravity stable: Megatrail, Trail Pistol, Pedalhead

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Check out the other thread "Thieves...Pt 2"

Quote Originally Posted by PattD
    Someone mentioned it earlier in the thread, but things are tight out there right now for a lot of people and think of how easy it is to smash and grab...especially while we're riding away on our bikes for at least an hour. I now know I'm not alone as 3 weeks ago I lost my ass by thinking that parking in a lot, in front of tennis courts that were heavily lit, and lots of people, that I was immune! Not a chance. I'm guessing that they are everywhere lurking. If you are riding away from your car, chances of someone watching you is good.

Count me in for the Vigilante route...I need to take $5000 in frustration out on someone's a$$!...and I can throw in 250 and a mean streak!
    Call that phone number I listed, can't hurt.
    So it seems to me to be, this thing that I think I see.

Members who have read this thread: 0