mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Thieves at Green Mountain Pt. 2

I wanted to put this here rather than tack it onto the end of the other thread. The Boulder County Sheriff''s department just called me and asked me questions about if there was any activity on the two cards that I "lost" at Greenbelt Plateau. I told him no (I'd canceled them both within an hour of the theft). The reason he was asking now is that they've caught a group of thieves who specialized in smash-and-grab at trailheads and want to tie them into as many thefts as possible.

They can look for video surveillance pics of people using the stolen cards---if they have the numbers of the cards stolen. He asked me to put his phone number (at the Boulder County Sheriff's dept.) here (I'd mentioned that we trade theft stories on this forum) so that anyone who's been the victim of thievery at trailheads from Boulder to south C470 could call in with the numbers of the stolen cards. The perps would go to Targets and Wal-Marts and gas stations and buy gift cards and stuff. One guy had a seven page rap sheet.

That number is 303-441-1681. Numbers of the cards stolen and the date it happened. Hard to tell how much info is passed back and forth between different jurisdictions. The thefts may have been reported in Jeffco but the Boulder County Sheriff's department arrested them.
    So it seems to me to be, this thing that I think I see.

Moosehead
    Thanks for the info xcg. I keep noticing broken glass at numerous jeffco TH's since the earlier posts.

Count me in for the sting ops as well. Maybe we could rig up a bunch of us and drag em down apex at 40 MPH.

mtbr member
    Can they be sent to Saudi Arabia for some stoning and maybe even lop the hands off?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    How does someone get a 7 page rap sheet? You'd think after the 6th page they would just lock them up and throw away the key.

crd
    ride like a girl
    Quote Originally Posted by Three Phase
    How does someone get a 7 page rap sheet? You'd think after the 6th page they would just lock them up and throw away the key.
    is tis the same question as why does a New Mexico driver get 12 DWIs yet still have their license?

Shread Ready
    Awesome! This is great news to here Boulder County PD doing this for us! Glad to hear they caught some of these SOB's! Hopefully they are the main "circuit" that was doing these thefts. Still, I'll take extra precaution at the trail heads assuming I do any more riding this season. I only road GM once this season and it was the middle of the day and I parked in the main lot with lots of other cars. Hope you guys get some merchandise back.

Shattering Glass
    We could use the 3 strike rule here

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Three Phase

Jails are over crowded and no one wants a jail in their neighborhood. The problem with the judicial system is reform. Did you know that the average murderer spends 7 years in prison? Yep that's it. We as a society don't provide solutions to criminals after they get out of jail. They go back to what they know. Its a crappy cycle that gets repeated often!

I work in the law field as well as finishing my degree in Criminology. Its horrible that you can't leave your car at a trailhead and go ride your bike and come back to your car untouched, but rough times bring out the worse in people.

So, this is how one gets a 7 page rap sheet. Our system doesn't offer the best solutions.
    Ride Fast, Take Chances!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikergal
    Jails are over crowded and no one wants a jail in their neighborhood. The problem with the judicial system is reform. Did you know that the average murderer spends 7 years in prison? Yep that's it. We as a society don't provide solutions to criminals after they get out of jail. They go back to what they know. Its a crappy cycle that gets repeated often!

I work in the law field as well as finishing my degree in Criminology. Its horrible that you can't leave your car at a trailhead and go ride your bike and come back to your car untouched, but rough times bring out the worse in people.

So, this is how one gets a 7 page rap sheet. Our system doesn't offer the best solutions.

Turn our prison systems into soylent green factories and churn out somthing useful.

Moosehead
    Uh, Bikergal, gotta ask, do you pack heat?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moosehead
    Uh, Bikergal, gotta ask, do you pack heat?
    No, I'm not a cop, I just work with lawyers and do their jobs for them
    Ride Fast, Take Chances!

Slopestyle Rider
    Some people are so beyond "reform" it's not even remotely funny.

Moosehead
    Quote Originally Posted by joelalamo45
    Some people are so beyond "reform" it's not even remotely funny.
    yea, sorry, i got a thing about a woman with a gun. bikergal, was hoping you could join in on the sting event with artillery.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crd
    is tis the same question as why does a New Mexico driver get 12 DWIs yet still have their license?
    I guess when you sell hard liquor at gas stations, you have to cut some slack.

Members who have read this thread: 0