Almost Human
    Sep 2007

They're coming! MTe-bikes

I predict we'll see these on the trails by year end. I'm already seeing scooters/mopeds and motorcycles on the bikes trails down here on almost a daily basis.

What could go wrong ...
    I'll race him when I get this done
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails They're coming!  MTe-bikes-bike-007.jpg  

They're coming!  MTe-bikes-motor-002.jpg  

I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

Tossin the salad.
    Neato!! No helmets and almost exposed butt cracks. What else is coming soon to a trail near by?

Stiff yet compliant
    Quote Originally Posted by TX_Shifter
    Neato!! No helmets and almost exposed butt cracks. What else is coming soon to a trail near by?
    Trucker hats.

What could go wrong ...
    or maybe these
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Xcel Energy will love these...

Yeah, use more juice, especially that high priced, two tiered stuff. I can hear it now... that's the sound of Xcel laughing all the way to the bank.

My leg feels funny
    Quote Originally Posted by TX_Shifter
    With that design I'd say more people going OTB when they catch what I'm assuming is the motor on a rock.

hehe ...you said "member"
    I don't get it ...
    why not just ride motoX?
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening

mtbr member
    Pff...
    Go big!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Optibike has been selling good full suspension electric MTBs for a couple of years now. Top quality components, including Fox forks and shocks, which is ironic because Optibike is a project of the Turner family, Turner as in RockShox. They are made in Boulder.

If you have several grand to drop on an electric mountain bike, this is the one to get:

http://optibike.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y
    Pff...
    Go big!

I've ridden the Zero MX and the Zero DS (Dual Sport, street legal). They are really nice.

Here is a little secret: If you buy a street legal electric motorcycle, the feds will give you 10% of the cost back in an income tax credit, and Colorado, using a complex formula, will give you a ridiculous state income tax credit. This makes a $10,000 Zero DS actually cost about $4200 out of pocket. The catch is that you have to front the $10K, and then you actually have to have at least a $1K federal tax liability and a $4800 state tax liability. The state credit can be spread across five years.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit
    I've ridden the Zero MX and the Zero DS (Dual Sport, street legal). They are really nice.

Here is a little secret: If you buy a street legal electric motorcycle, the feds will give you 10% of the cost back in an income tax credit, and Colorado, using a complex formula, will give you a ridiculous state income tax credit. This makes a $10,000 Zero DS actually cost about $4200 out of pocket. The catch is that you have to front the $10K, and then you actually have to have at least a $1K federal tax liability and a $4800 state tax liability. The state credit can be spread across five years.
    There was also some weird CA thing that would let you get it for 1/2 price... If anyone is in for one, I'll find out more details.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

friend of Apex
    There was also some weird CA thing that would let you get it for 1/2 price... If anyone is in for one, I'll find out more details.

Interested.
    A tad discouraged by the 50 mile range, but hey... 67mph is faster than I can pedal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR
    Interested.
    A tad discouraged by the 50 mile range, but hey... 67mph is faster than I can pedal.
    Lemme ping my buddy and ask her how this CA thing works. Post back later.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

caffeine dependent
    Cool. This kind of thing used to make me want to puke, but now that I look a little closer, I think I might vomit, instead.

But, hey, most of the places I ride are public land. So if someone is too lame to hang on for real throttle-twisting, and they want the opportunity to stand in close-up awe of the Continental Divide while smoking Camel Straights, I'm all for it.
    I'm just here for the food.

Rolling
    If I recall, most trails are limited to Non-motorized traffic. Nifty device though...for commuting for lazy people who want to be "green".

not actually bad :)
    but hey... 67mph is faster than I can pedal.
    pfffffft - - - girlie man.
    Old Codger

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    If I recall, most trails are limited to Non-motorized traffic. Nifty device though...for commuting for lazy people who want to be "green".
    If you thought shuttling gave mountain biking a bad name, wait till these hit the trails.

But realistically, you enforce this how? There's actually a movement down here to open the multi-use trails to scooters and motorcycles. Everyone laughs, but I think there are a lot more motorists than bicyclist, and if they can kick bikes out of Blackhawk, some nut on a City Council can also propose sticking motorized vehicles on non-motorized trails and then let the rest of the nuts on the City Council vote for it. BTW, we have no trail cops or rangers down here either.

Don't get me wrong. I think the Zero is the next hot thing. I would love to have the street version. Hell, I own e-scooter.com and used to sell electric scooters online. But with that said, take a look at the Zero videos. They hit public multi-use trails with "hikers, bicyclist, and equestrians" for an obvious reason. Look at the lady on the horse. "Oh, we love them. They're so quiet".

How can you doubt what the intention is? Because they are "quieter" than a moto, they think they should be able to access non-motorized trails.

I don't know about you, but after 2 serious head-on collisions, I'm not looking forward to coming around a blind corner and meeting a 200lb silent ev-bike face-to-face at God knows what speed.

Will IMBA get out ahead of this one... ?

Anyway, there's my rant. Flame away.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    So close to home. Just last weekend.

Last I heard they were both in critical condition in the hospital. moto-moto/head-on, on Gold Camp Road.

"A third crash involved two dirt bikes on Gold Camp Road, according to Trooper Heather Cobler of the Colorado State Patrol. Two people were taken to the hospital, she said, though the extent of their injuries was not known Sunday night."

Read more: http://www.gazette.com/articles/moto...#ixzz0sP49lu7N

mtbr member
    Interested.
    K, so she doesn't know the exact details but suggested to contact Zero directly as they'll most likely know all of the incentives
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I don't think we'll see a lot of trails opened to e-bikes. I do think we will see a rise in the use of them on trails where MC's are currently allowed. It seems to me there are a lot of people who like DH, and an ebike allows you to have the DH experience uphill. Why not just get an ICE moto? Because the ebike has lower costs, lighter weight, and the ability to pedal as attractive options.

I laugh every time I read someone dissing someone on an ebike for being wussy. How much suspension travel are you running on your 24 lb, 27 speed MTB? You know *real* men ride 32 pound, rigid hardtails with a six speed freewheel and non-indexed thumbshifters. Everyone else is just using technology to compensate for their weaknesses. Only people who have never ridden a dirt bike would dis a moto rider, whether the moto is a WR450 or an ebike. Riding an MX or enduro bike hard is one of the most athletically difficult activities on the planet.

Get used to seeing more electric bikes, cars and motos, both on and off road.

110 MILLION ebikes were sold in China last year. Wrap your head around that number. Shimano and Bosch have both developed mass-market ebike solutions. Yes, Shimano is now releasing an ebike group. The batteries are now small enough to be hidden inside a carbon frame.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/...component-set/

Bosch has teamed with Cannondale and has developed an electric road bike that from ten feet away, no one would even KNOW was an ebike. It uses a geared drive of the BB axle internally in the frame.

http://www.protoolreviews.com/news/i...c-bicycle-bike

Look around on YouTube and you'll find lots of videos of people who have put together 40 mph ebikes in their backyard. The horse is out of the barn.

Nissan is shipping the Leaf soon, GM is shipping the Volt, Tesla just did their IPO and is refitting the old GM factory in CA to build a sedan.

Zero, Brammo and several others are shipping electric motorcycles already.
    Last edited by honkinunit; 07-01-2010 at 08:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    K, so she doesn't know the exact details but suggested to contact Zero directly as they'll most likely know all of the incentives
    They have a nifty map of incentives on their website:

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/incentives/

Colorado's are the best, by far, of any state. The legislature was talking about reducing or removing them in the last session, but they let them be for now. You snooze, you lose.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit
    They have a nifty map of incentives on their website:

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/incentives/

Colorado's are the best, by far, of any state. The legislature was talking about reducing or removing them in the last session, but they let them be for now. You snooze, you lose.
    Oh damn! Now I want one even more... $4888 tax credit. Sweet Deal!

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    So what happens when you go OTB and toss it down a cliff?
    The battery busts open. Do you call hazmat for clean-up on xyz trail?

A MX track is a little easier. But let's say it's Pipeline/Jones?