Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

There's always gotta be one, doesn't there?

Out riding today and encountered 30, 40, 50 - a lot for this trail - people out enjoying the day. Everyone's courteous and following the rules of the trail, saying hi etc etc.

Then as I'm grinding my way up the last climb, one tool - all kitted out in a local shop's colors - comes plowing down and absolutely refuses to yield. Finally, at the last second, I'm forced to stop and I sarcastically yell, "thanks!" as he goes by. And he turns his head as he continues down past my friend (god forbid he give up his world cup winning time!) to yell, swear and generally make an ass of himself.

Jeffco has Evergreen and we have [to be filled in later after I talk to the shop guys].

I've heard stories about the team and/or sponsored riders from this shop for several years, but this is my first direct encounter with one of them.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

I'm with stupid
    If you say ascent I will die from laughter.

the Chain Guy
    Filled in later? I can't take it, was it Ascent? I'm just assuming it is if that never gets answered.

- B

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    If you had already stopped, why not block the trail and send him onto his a$$.
    We need to self police these idiots before they piss off the wrong person.

mtbr member
    Why will you die of laughter if it's Ascent?

I stopped at the last minute; no chance to block the trail or I would have. After we finished our ride, I did go over to a road/trail intersection to try and grab a pic of the tool, but I guess he passed that point before we got there. Or we left a bit too early.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

i suggest you complain on the internet first

Why would you own 100 Yugos when you could own 1 Porsche? - Rumpfy

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    Why will you die of laughter if it's Ascent?

I stopped at the last minute; no chance to block the trail or I would have. After we finished our ride, I did go over to a road/trail intersection to try and grab a pic of the tool, but I guess he passed that point before we got there. Or we left a bit too early.
    Just sounds familiar, from a more then once experience. Mainly palmer park or the falcon trail. Cant mess up those Strava hot laps.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Hmmm, I'm imagining a tiny spike strip, James Bond style. ISCG mount, shoots out from under the BB?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

rr
    I don't do PC
    Does the Ascent kit have the wording Pikes Peak on the front of it? I had a run in with a serious racerboy tool on the AFA trail a few weeks back, basicly the exact same experience as skiahh. Later in the loop I ran into him again and got off and confronted him, he didn't stop and just said "what's your problem" or something like that.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I've said it before and will say it again, bikers can be are own worst enemy.
    Yesterday I was racing at the Steamboat Stinger, on the big downhill, came up on one guy with two single speeders on his wheel. The front rider has no DH skills, and is holding all of us back. I start talking and asking for him to yield, no response. We have 3 more miles to go on the DH, and I'm racing duo, and not even in his class. When he crashes out in a corner, he says " see you got by so STFU" I respond, " be a gentleman and let faster riders by, the Pro women's leaders are just behind" his response, "F-U"

Once you accept that some bikers are total a$$holes, their behavior isn't surprising, and it explains why so many non-bikers have problems with us. You don't remember the 30-40 that were polite, and courteous, just the one that wasn't.

Loser
    Mar 2008
    Deja Vu

Propaganda Lover
    Aug 2013
    I try to be happy so many ARE courteous, besides, it's not like bikers are the only jerks out there. Never ceases to amaze me when I yield for a runner or horse, and get some snarky comment about how it's nice that I'm 'following the rules for a change', or some such BS.

Save it for the a$$hole, a$$hole...

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    When I used to race the rule of thumb was to put in 70% of your time on the road and never ride at race pace on a trail open to other users... maybe they spend too much time on the trail and that's why Ascent racers are so slow on race day?

mtbr member
    Interesting. I hadn't heard this about Ascent and no, it wasn't their kit. But yes, it was the AFA Falcon Trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Zowie View Post
    I try to be happy so many ARE courteous, besides, it's not like bikers are the only jerks out there. Never ceases to amaze me when I yield for a runner or horse, and get some snarky comment about how it's nice that I'm 'following the rules for a change', or some such BS.
    At one point, I did come up behind a runner, completely oblivious with her ear buds pumping out loud music. I followed her down a nice part of the trail that I'd rather have ripped down. Eventually, she saw me out of the corner of her eye and jumped off the trail to let me go by with a meek "sorry." I said thanks and went on by.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    ...I followed her down a nice part of the trail that I'd rather have ripped down.
    I hope she had a nice bum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder View Post
    Does the Ascent kit have the wording Pikes Peak on the front of it? I had a run in with a serious racerboy tool on the AFA trail a few weeks back, basicly the exact same experience as skiahh. Later in the loop I ran into him again and got off and confronted him, he didn't stop and just said "what's your problem" or something like that.
    What color was the kit?
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

rr
    I don't do PC
    Multi colored, lighter in the front and darker on the back, I'm color blind so don't see colors real well sometimes. It had Pikes Peak something in cursive on the front of the jersey.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    You can probably find the jersey here.
    Ascent Cycling Series Final Gallery 1 - Pikes Peak Sports

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    That would be Pikes Peak Velo ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    mountain bikers with cartoon shirts, so gay. And those pants they wear, what's the world coming to.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by brokefork View Post
    mountain bikers with cartoon shirts, so gay. And those pants they wear, what's the world coming to.
    Nothing wrong with being gay.

Team kits remind me of NASCAR, how silly would one of Dale's fans look driving a street Chevy with a full sticker kit.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker View Post
    Nothing wrong with being gay.

Team kits remind me of NASCAR, how silly would one of Dale's fans look driving a street Chevy with a full sticker kit.
    My ex-GF called team kits Superhero costumes

You did the Stinger Saturday? Lots of superheroes out there weren't there?

I didn't have any real rudeness like you described, but man some of those folks were sure reluctant to let a guy pass! I was in a parade down the Ridge Trail on my first lap that was ridiculous. If I'd had any idea that it was going to be a 20 minute descent I would have put more work into asking for a pass. Probably a dozen of us followed this kitted up dude who had to slow to practically walking speed to get around the hairpins all the way to Aid#2.

On my second lap I wound up behind the same guy, but by myself this time. I knew what was coming and wanted to have some fun this time, so I asked him for a pass and he said sure, but it took like 5 minutes before he was willing to do it. He didn't want to lose any precious seconds, what with his possible standing of 55th place in the Citizen class. I mean jeez, I can see it if you are thinking you're maybe in line for a spot on the podium, but here we are descending onto the back side of the course, and the pro men's winners have been finished for an hour already!

What a killer course though. Man my shoulders and hands were so tired from descending by the end, I could hardly hold a beer.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

Awesomist™
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Man my shoulders and hands were so tired from descending by the end, I could hardly hold a beer.
    Your life sounds tough.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    meh.... firstworldproblems...

I rode Kenosha couple of weeks back and had an experience that I thought was totally lame.

About 1/2 half up the initial climb from 285, I see some bike packer off the side of the trail taking a well earned respite. sweet.
    As I approach them, two fellars, full of stoke and amped to be done with an epic ride come hurtling down the trail.

Now, in this moment, I had a choice to make, put myself in a position to be butt hurt for the remainder of the a very long ride that will in fact result in actual butt hurt or let the stoke be with me.

I waived the fellars through and said "May the Gnar be with you"

que the lame...
    The bike packers step into the trail, yell some about moms and a donkeys, and then turn their gaze upon me and demand an explanation as to way I didn't demand that they yield to me... wtf? seriously?
    "Dude", I says, " The trail is plenty wide here and those guys were having a blast." bike packer responds with lameness... I says "its a beautiful day, spend time on the awesome of your trip" and I pedal away...

seriously... can we get over ourselves a little...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    A arrogant biker... No way..... Welcome to the elitist sport of biking ....were something as simple as riding a bike in the woods turns into a entitlement battle of who's right or wrong about this or that.... Try riding in the woods in New Jersey were people already have attitudes as is

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast