mtbr member

There was once 2 but now only 1. Veloswap!

Looks like San Fran has been taken off the veloswap tour. Don't have any idea why, but sure would be upset if denver didn't have one. Nothing like standing in line in anticipation of what you may or may not find. It's like being a kid on christmas again!

DenverDH'er
    LOVE THE VELO SWAP!!! Missed it last year though.

When is it this year, do you know the date?

slow

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

I'm a huge fan too

What amazes me about Veloswap is what sells and what stays. During the repping days we'd blow out samples all the time. People would snarf up some of the ugliest stuff and leave things I thought would go in an instant.

In 2006 I took the usual two tables of stuff. People bought used parts like no tomorrow but left new tires and the sweetest cross bike deal going.I'll never figure that place out. Maybe the mystery is half the fun.

I'll be there again this year so bring your break the piggy bank and bring friends.

Thread Terrorist
    I'm amazed at the lack of deals you can find. People want high $$$ for trash. They usually go home with it as well.

I worked a booth last year. The most common question was....

Do you have a high end, hardly used Downhill bike for under 500 dollars?

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by preparation_h
    Looks like San Fran has been taken off the veloswap tour. Don't have any idea why,...
    Maybe the organizers got sick of looking at a bunch of hipster dudes wearing girls' jeans looking for NJS shite to put on their $5K commuters.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

To "Air" Is Human
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    ...The most common question was....Do you have a high end, hardly used Downhill bike for under 500 dollars?
    LOL, mine was, "I'm looking for a small road bike, Ultegra or DuraAce, new, and under $500." Hmmmm, good luck with that.

I had new Saint cranksets for $125 and new Crank Bros. Candy Ti Pedals for $60 and people still wanted to wheel and deal. I sold them all but had to laugh when everybody came back in the afternoon asking if we still had that stuff.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by The Agency
    LOL, mine was, "I'm looking for a small road bike, Ultegra or DuraAce, new, and under $500." Hmmmm, good luck with that.

I had new Saint cranksets for $125 and new Crank Bros. Candy Ti Pedals for $60 and people still wanted to wheel and deal. I sold them all but had to laugh when everybody came back in the afternoon asking if we still had that stuff.

The last Velo was when I noticed that everyone was dumping their Saint groupo's. It seemed as if no one could give those things away.

I think people believe they can get something for nothing, even though the best price for that one thing is better than they've ever seen before....

cheeseburger in paradise
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    Maybe the organizers got sick of looking at a bunch of hipster dudes wearing girls' jeans looking for NJS shite to put on their $5K commuters.
    _MK
    Hilarious!

Veloswap is the poo.

Ride, Rinse, Repeat

Sell to sellers

Actually the BEST time to sell stuff seems to be at set-up the night before. A friend & I had a table last year, and sold a LOT of stuff to other vendors "setting up" that night. Could not even get it out of the truck, they were pawing thru the stuff all breathless.....

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleTR
    Actually the BEST time to sell stuff seems to be at set-up the night before. A friend & I had a table last year, and sold a LOT of stuff to other vendors "setting up" that night. Could not even get it out of the truck, they were pawing thru the stuff all breathless.....
    Must be why Excel sports does their sale right before Velo. Catch the money early.

Quote Originally Posted by grayling
    What amazes me about Veloswap is what sells and what stays. During the repping days we'd blow out samples all the time. People would snarf up some of the ugliest stuff and leave things I thought would go in an instant.
    Sounds like a typical yard sale.