mtbr member

Listen! Is there alot of Hunting around Buffalo Creek

I was planning to go biking on the trails around buffalo creek this weekend. I called up the Forest service to ask about hunting activity around the area and if there was any problems for mountain bikers. They gave me an unclear yes and no answer. Anyone here know if buffalo Creek is busy with hunters this time of year where i would have a problem with camping or riding?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepmb
    Anyone here know if buffalo Creek is busy with hunters this time of year where i would have a problem with camping or riding?
    Yep there are hunters in the area but I'd say bike away. I've ridden through hunting season in Buffalo Creek without ever having an issue. And you just about always hear gunfire back there because there are several shooting ranges (official and unofficial) nearby the trails.

The only problem with camping is that there may be fewer spots because the hunters are also camping.

If you're really worried, wear bright clothing (dare I say it, roadie-wear ) Your chances of getting shot are about as good as getting attacked by a Catapancougmountuma Lion or struck by lightning. So if you hear thunder, gunfire and a growl right around sunset - DUCK!

Ed

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    Snipe hunting is fun.

skillz to pay billz
    if hunting for cougars, rest up, they can go all night

Singletrack Daydreamer
    I've noticed a higher density of hunters is on the west side (especially along Forest Road 552) Gas House/Skipper Trail area than the rest of the area. Far fewer, in my experience, when you're in the heart of the area (Morrison/Shinglemill/Sandy Wash/Baldy).

mtbr member
    May 2005
    What everyone else said. No worries.
    I've riden there lots for 14 years. Almost always hear shots, never a problem.
    Have fun!

Your bike is incorrigible
    The horse dude I wrote about in another thread was telling me about some people having a little target practice by Buck Gulch. A shot went whizzing past his head, so he decided to confront them. He told me he carried a .357, and it wasn't for the critters but the morons who don't know how to point their guns in the right direction.

That said, I ride there a lot and have never actually been in a dangerous situation with the gun toting yokels. Sure, you hear the shots all the time, but the people doing some target practice rarely get more than a hundred yards off the road (more like right on the road). As someone else said, Baldy/Sandy Wash/Shingle Mill (bottom)/Tramway (bottom) are all safe since there isn't easy road access to them.

Ride away and be happy!

mtbr member

Listen! Thanks

I'm glad to hear it's not a big problem.

I licked a frog.
    "alot" is not a word.