Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Bad Andy

Thanksgiving Moab Invite

Hi All,
    The family and I will be headed to Moab for Thanksgiving w/e.
    Anyone interested, or already planning to be there, let me know.
    I have a wife that rides VERY seldom, and 2 kids - 13 yr girl and 10 yr boy, that both enjoy riding, and are just getting into it!
    We will head over 11/21 Wed eve, and return Sunday AM, probably stopping for a Fruita ride.
    I am thinking I'll be able to get out for a "real" ride fairly early each AM for a couple hours, then do family rides/hikes etc later in the morning, afternoon.
    Will probably take a day and go to Goblin Valley and also the Little Wild Horse slot canyon.
    Will be fun, but gotta have a different mindset than the typical Moab MTB - ride ride ride - trip!
    Manmountain and a couple other friends and their families are considering it...
    lemme know

Thread Terrorist
    Duuuuude... Should have checked over this way sooner. We love Moab in the November time frame, but we have family coming out. Not doing the Turkey thing... oh no, we're having King Crab legs and Lobster Biske!

Rolling
    It's a great time to go. Have fun.

Big Boned
    I'm so trying to get the wife to agree to this. I think I can pull it off by leveraging some birthday guilt (Nov. 25)...
    Never rub another man's rhubarb.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    We'll be there with a group of people but we're going to be wheelin' instead of riding.....

Bad Andy
    That sounds good too, but I don't think I'll be taking my jeep this time. I need to get a bumper with a hitch mount to carry the bikes in order to have enough room for everything for a family of 4 - and that's' with a roof rack too!
    Some would say it's just as big a sin to go to Moab without your jeep (if you have one) as without your bike!!!

Thread Terrorist
    You can always rent a jeep!

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    Lobster Biske!
    Make sure you check the urine content of the Lobster Bisque.*

[SIZE="1"]*obligatory "Fight Club" reference[/SIZE]
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by andychrysler
    That sounds good too, but I don't think I'll be taking my jeep this time. I need to get a bumper with a hitch mount to carry the bikes in order to have enough room for everything for a family of 4 - and that's' with a roof rack too!
    Some would say it's just as big a sin to go to Moab without your jeep (if you have one) as without your bike!!!
    I hear ya! Our future plans will involve a trailer that will hold the Jeep, a couple dirt bikes and our XC bikes

Right now it's the Jeep that we drive up there (very slooooooowly) and the bikes on the hitch mount, spare tire on the roof and our stuff and dog stuffed in the Jeep....advantages of having an XJ

You can but there's not enough lift on the rentals

Bad Andy
    I am much too poor for that!
    Besides, screw Moab, I'm comin' to your place for lobster and crab...

Bad Andy
    Quote Originally Posted by weimie
    ....advantages of having an XJ
    Yes, there have been many times where I wish I had more room for things (coolers, camping stuff, bikes, etc) in my '93 YJ - especially considering the family of 4. My 13 year old daughter is convinced it'll be her's in 3 years!
    Not sure if I'd like the summers not being able to take the top off the XJ though!
    Where ya staying in Moab?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Where ya staying in Moab?
    We're at the Super 8 just as you come into town....cheap and dog friendly.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    Make sure you check the urine content of the Lobster Bisque.*

[SIZE="1"]*obligatory "Fight Club" reference[/SIZE]
    OH.... good point!

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by weimie
    You can but there's not enough lift on the rentals
    Do you know the differences between SUV's and Rentals?

Rentals go anywhere.

Bad Andy
    Weimie, that's where we'll be also.
    Look for us - dark blue dodge caravan. What color's your XJ?
    Any plans for a feast Thurs? Not sure what we'll come up with yet...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Weimie, that's where we'll be also.
    Look for us - dark blue dodge caravan. What color's your XJ?
    Any plans for a feast Thurs? Not sure what we'll come up with yet...
    HA! That's too funny! Our XJ is grey with a Lafayette Off-Road sticker on one of the side windows. I think Thurs is going to be a driving day for us, we'll probably be getting there late afternoon but if we get there early enough we'll probably unload our stuff and head out to a trail for a quickie.

mtbr member

How was Moab

How was the thanxgiving? Sorry I bailed, worst part was the snow wasn't that bad and we would have had no problems.

Bad Andy
    No problem - ended up being a good family vaca.
    Had another friend out there, and never even saw him (until the end of our Fruita ride on Sunday).
    I think I saw the XJ weimie said she'd be in a couple times, but never saw her either.
    Arrived late Wed - checked in at Super 8 and went to bed.
    Thurs - Klondike Bluffs and Thxgivg dinner at...Denny's (it was surprisingly good)...
    Fri - unexpected snow overnight Thurs (was s'posed to be overcast, but warmer than Thurs), so hung around, then watched the CU game from the time they were down 35-24 til the end. Then went out to Dead Horse Point. If you haven't been there, go sometime - amazing views - especially after a snowstorm with thick parting clouds!
    Sat - Hike at Little Wild Horse slot canyon, and then Goblin Valley Park. Another must do sometime. The slot canyon is really cool. It's about a 1.5 hour drive from Moab.
    Sun - pack and drive to Fruita - Rustler's and a 3 mile Mary's out and back. Then drive home.
    Sorry, haven't figured out how to post pix yet without viewers having to click the link.
    LATER!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bad Andy
    oh - guess i did figure it out, just don't know how to post pix within the text...
    Attached Images Attached Images

dirty trail dog
    Great pics! The shot of your family at the overlook is very cool.
    yep...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Hey, sorry we didn't get to meet this weekend....we hit the trails pretty early to get a full day in before sunset then ate and went to bed pretty much every night.

Got in on Thurs, went to Denny's and went to bed. Woke up with the snow and tried to figure out what to do until the sun came out Poison Spider sounded like a good thing.

A few pics....sorry for the non mtn biking pics....

The waterfall section was a little tricky, there was running water and pools of water making this a pretty slick section

snow on Poison Spider

Next day we hit Fins & Things and played on Baby Lions Back

On Sunday we hit Hells Revenge and headed out
    Gettin' a little tippy playing by the Abyss overlook

The Abyss, there was a guide out there telling stories and he said they've had to pull about 7 mtn bikers out of the canyon....riding at night, they went right over the edge

The hummer guide making it look easy to pose

Playing in the small hot tub

The big hot tub....that wall it almost vertical, we didn't go there

Helping a guy out on the escalator, he ended up getting winched out but tried again and made it

Trying to not tip over on the Tip Over Challenge....we ended up getting winched out This was way steeper than it looks and there was broken glass everywhere from people loosing the Tip Over Challenge

Your retarded
    Man, I miss my XJ.

A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

Bad Andy
    Hey weimie, sorry we didn't get to meet as well.
    Cool pix anyway.
    I have had my YJ on all the trails you hit.
    Took the wimpy way out on tip-over. I have open diffs, and am not much of a risk-taker, and had heard noone can make it up that without lockers, so figured that was a good excuse to chicken out. Then, my cousin made it up in his open-dif'd (at the time) XJ - - - but he's a little crazy. Is the XJ you were in locked?
    The 1st time I was on anything challenging in Moab was fins-n-things, came to the 1st steep down, and had to get out and look for a loooooooong time before I convinced myself to do it.
    Glad you had fun and stayed safe - scary stories the guide was talking about - "they've had to pull about 7 mtn bikers out of the canyon....riding at night, they went right over the edge"
    Oh, btw - did you or your significant other have the oppportunity to meet "Karen" at the front desk of Super 8 or the other "male" employee working behind the counter at some point? A couple "interesting" ones there...not that there's anything wrong with that...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    We're locked in the rear but open in front....problem was when we got the passenger side up on the rock the right front came off the ground just slightly and just spin and then the rears would just spin because it was so steep and slick. We would have probably made it up if it was a little warmer out, the rocks would be have a little more grip to them.

We didn't "meet" the front desk people but we encountered them....odd to say the least.

Hey, if you ever plan on doing some wheelin' in the future PM me...we're always looking for more people to wheel with I know we're planning on getting to some local trails before the snow gets too deep.

Thread Terrorist
    you guys and your 4wd rock crawlers.... pffft... my saab can do all that!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast