Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ..ouch

Thank you to the rock stacking genius.

I'd just like to take a moment to extend a large thank you to whomever decided to lay a string of large, squared edged rocks across the bottom of one of the short gravel slopes leading from the gravel parking lot on Canyon Rd down to the west end mouth of the Boulder bike path. It made for a beautiful end to my night ride as I hucked the slope and nicely cased one of these with my rear tire. I didn't know it was possible to get an extra 7 feet of air off a 6 foot slope until I discovered how to do this sweet superman move over my handlebars at 15mph. Kudos. Without your help I would have never pushed myself to try this. To ensure I'm able to savor the memory of my newly acquired talent I've made sure to take home a 3 inch leg gash, a nicely dented helmet and several bruised ribs.

Being a bit selfish, I want to keep this cool new trick to myself so I've temporarily removed said rocks far from the trail, but please get back out there as soon as possible, because as soon as I can get my rear rotor straighted back out I'll want to give it another shot! Whoever you are, you should know you are truly a mentor and all around wonderful human being. I really hope we have an opportunity to meet some day.

Sincere Regards,
    thump

Shattering Glass
    Same thing happened to me at Hall. These fools did some rearanging of the trail making it a total farse of a trail up top and I plowed in to one of those poorly placed or should I say thrown boulders on the trail causing a bent rim and biffed knee. My rearranging will come. Total carelessness and it looks like $hit.

Thread Terrorist
    no pics?

skillz to pay billz
    it's an epidemic.

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    no pics?
    Sure, why not. 'Tis merely a flesh wound though.

IMG_6393a.JPG

The ribs on the other hand.. been a while since I've had the opportunity for those nice sharp pains on each inhale. A better wakeup than morning coffee.

Card Carrying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dash
    Same thing happened to me at Hall. These fools did some rearanging of the trail making it a total farse of a trail up top and I plowed in to one of those poorly placed or should I say thrown boulders on the trail causing a bent rim and biffed knee. My rearranging will come. Total carelessness and it looks like $hit.

Are you speaking of the "trail narrowing" rocks?

mtbr member
    This sucks. I only hope it was somebody NOT knowing what he/she did.

May you heal fast.

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaba Klaus
    May you heal fast.
    Thanks, Klaus.. combined with a handful of Tylenol it's nothing that will keep me off the bike this weekend. Probably a good excuse to tell the wife I need head out to Keystone so I can avoid too much of that deep breathing/pedaling stuff.

mtbr member
    Wow, bummer. Hope you heal quickly! I have hit that section countless times after finishing a ride and couldn't imagine the surprise of finding said rocks whilst cruising though there.

To all you rock-stackers out there, if you build something to play on - please undo it after! Especially if it is on a high use trail/area.

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by bike21
    Wow, bummer. Hope you heal quickly! I have hit that section countless times after finishing a ride and couldn't imagine the surprise of finding said rocks whilst cruising though there.

To all you rock-stackers out there, if you build something to play on - please undo it after! Especially if it is on a high use trail/area.
    I wish I could say these were well intentioned, but I can't see how. They were simply laid in a loose line from side to side about a foot past the bottom end of the rocky slope. Would have made nice endo targets if I had rolled the slope, but as long as I can see there aren't people at the bottom from the approach then I usually like to huck it, which unfortunately put said rocks directly in the landing zone for my rear tire. They weren't laid out in a way that would make sense for diverting drainage or another logical purpose, so my assumption is their intent was exactly what happened, albeit that I probably made a more spectacular example than they expected by jumping onto them.

Btw, props to the guys at The Fix for building a strong wheelset.. When I got up I was sure I would find a thoroughly taco'd rim, but amazingly it's still running true.

crashes in parkinglot
    I've seen that BS on trails, white ranch is the one that comes to my mind. If a hiker (I can only guess it was a hiker) wants to control how fast bikers are descending, come out to a work day and do sanctioned work. I don't mind the need to slow down trails, but tossing a bunch of grapefruit sized rocks on the trail is about as effective as not.

Rolling
    Did you have a good audience when you performed this amazing stunt?

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Did you have a good audience when you performed this amazing stunt?
    Unfortunately, no. It was about 10pm on a night ride down from Ned so no one was around to witness my glory.

mtbr member
    is the rock piling/trail narrowing recent addition on the upper part of hall "official" work or not?

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfroggy
    is the rock piling/trail narrowing recent addition on the upper part of hall "official" work or not?

Yes. Youth Corps project. There is a thread somewhere on it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thump
    I wish I could say these were well intentioned, but I can't see how.
    So random rock stacking huh? Even worse! I sure hope it wasn't intentional to bring riders down. Might have to keep an eye on the area and report it if it keeps happening.

Your bike is incorrigible
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Yes. Youth Corps project. There is a thread somewhere on it.
    Damn you, I was fully expecting an alien conspiracy. Crop circles, cattle mutilation, rock piling.

Stiff yet compliant
    I wouldn't consider the Boulder bike path "mountain biking" so I don't think this really applies in that situation. However part of mountain biking is being able to handle whatever the terrain throws at you including unexpected changes, and knowing what your limits are.
    If you crash because of a rock in the trail that wasn't there last week you only have yourself to blame.

(Flame suit on)

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Moustache rider
    I wouldn't consider the Boulder bike path "mountain biking" so I don't think this really applies in that situation. However part of mountain biking is being able to handle whatever the terrain throws at you including unexpected changes, and knowing what your limits are.
    If you crash because of a rock in the trail that wasn't there last week you only have yourself to blame.

(Flame suit on)

I'll put my suit on as well cause I thought the same damn thing. Same as people complaining about horse sh!t, treat it as another obstacle and avoid it. Pretty simple. Sorry about your injury though.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Bandolero

+1

Quote Originally Posted by thump
    I'd just like to take a moment to extend a large thank you to whomever decided to lay a string of large, squared edged rocks across the bottom of one of the short gravel slopes leading from the gravel parking lot on Canyon Rd down to the west end mouth of the Boulder bike path. It made for a beautiful end to my night ride as I hucked the slope and nicely cased one of these with my rear tire. I didn't know it was possible to get an extra 7 feet of air off a 6 foot slope until I discovered how to do this sweet superman move over my handlebars at 15mph. Kudos. Without your help I would have never pushed myself to try this. To ensure I'm able to savor the memory of my newly acquired talent I've made sure to take home a 3 inch leg gash, a nicely dented helmet and several bruised ribs.

Being a bit selfish, I want to keep this cool new trick to myself so I've temporarily removed said rocks far from the trail, but please get back out there as soon as possible, because as soon as I can get my rear rotor straighted back out I'll want to give it another shot! Whoever you are, you should know you are truly a mentor and all around wonderful human being. I really hope we have an opportunity to meet some day.

Sincere Regards,
    thump
    Sarcasm meter is peeking.

+1 point for effort. +1 point for humor. +1 point for vividness. +1 point for effort.

Your views are interesting. I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

regards,
    nk
    See the trails, be one with FOO-MTB.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish
    I'll put my suit on as well cause I thought the same damn thing. Same as people complaining about horse sh!t, treat it as another obstacle and avoid it. Pretty simple. Sorry about your injury though.
    I'll third the sentiment. If you're going to catch some air, you oughta know what you're going to land on first. And doing it at night doesn't seem all that brilliant, either.

mtbr member
    Jugdish and moustache - I think you guys are missing the point. Thump wasn't 'mountain biking' on the path, he was coming back from a ride...and a NIGHT ride at that. This is a spot that many of us come back through from riding up in the hills. That is, those of us who go under our own power to get to said hills. Big a$$ rocks in the middle of the path that you are not expecting nor can see at night - would catch any of us by surprise.

Edit to add: what about the casual bike path cruiser coming down from a ride? They are certainly not prepared to encounter something like this at night. My point? Sometimes we crash and it usually our fault...however, folks should not be putting large rocks on a highly traveled public path.

..ouch
    I'll give that I certainly added to my own problem by hucking, but this is a fairly steep and rocky little slope and the way these rocks were placed there's a good chance I would have took it over the handlebars even if I had rolled it. As bike21 was nice enough to point out, this wasn't a mtb trail, it's a slope leading from a parking lot to an 8 foot wide, graded bike path. If I had been more focused I probably could have spotted them soon enough to come to a screeching halt or rode around off the side, but after just finishing 15 miles of actual night trail I was autopiloting back into Boulder on a path that I've cruised down literally hundreds of times. It's kind of like walking out your bedroom door and tripping on a toy the kiddos left out. The difference being that I expect the toys because I have kids, I didn't expect a Joe Moron construction project on the Boulder bike path.

But in the mean time, I'll work on developing those lightning fast, Bruce Lee reflexes like you guys so I'll never get caught off guard again.

ridin dirtay

Oh POOP

[QUOTE]I wouldn't consider the Boulder bike path "mountain biking" so I don't think this really applies in that situation. However part of mountain biking is being able to handle whatever the terrain throws at you including unexpected changes, and knowing what your limits are. QUOTE]

Kinna ambiguous, not Mountain biking, but is mountain biking....
    Anyway, Remember that roadie who nailed a rock on the S.Platte river trail this summer? Remember the media coverage, public outcry, police investigation? I do...

http://www.9news.com/rss/article.aspx?storyid=67132

PS, not to threadjack, but how do you come down from Ned at night?
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR
    Anyway, Remember that roadie who nailed a rock on the S.Platte river trail this summer? Remember the media coverage, public outcry, police investigation? I do...

http://www.9news.com/rss/article.aspx?storyid=67132
    Wow, overkill. Especially for kids. I'd just want a chance to have a nice "chat" assuming it was an adult. Kids I wouldn't even bother.

Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR
    PS, not to threadjack, but how do you come down from Ned at night?
    Umm, without trying to be an arse, it's not one I can post on the internets, and would be hell trying to explain even if I wanted to. I'm happy to take good and decent folks with me on a ride, but it involves some land permissions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast