Now older but less slow!

Test riding an Intense Carbine?

Hi all,

It looks like (finally) I will be in a position to get a new ride this Fall. I'm really interested in the Intense Carbine in 650b (or 27.5) flavor so I will probably be waiting until the Fall anyway when these should become available.

For Intense I'm assuming that Dave at Redstone or GBS are probably the best choices for me in the Boulder area, though does anyone know if it is possible to ride a Carbine (in 26" form) in this area? Any other shops that are exceptional Intense dealers?

Also I've never ridden a VPP or a DW-Link bike before, so I am still evaluating my choices (seeing what comes up on the 650b horizon). My goal is a good all round Rocky Mountain trail bike in the 150-160mm travel range, but one that is also equally addept at hammering it along the Marshall Mesa type trails - so I am after smooth pedaling efficiency. I ride a 3" travel 26er now that is of the low single-pivot variety. It's not the most efficient pedaling platform but it was good back in 1997

I'm not a strong climber so I am looking for a bike that is an exceptional climber. I hear that the DW-Link (aka Pivots/Turner) may be better than the VPP of the Intense in this regards, but I love the look of the Carbine and I suspect the difference is minor and figure that both must be better than what I am on now.

So, DW-Link or VPP? What better, or shall we say that both are of equal stature?
    Last edited by TheNormsk; 06-12-2012 at 01:34 PM.

ride
    I've got a large here that I've been on since Dec. I freaking love it. It's definitely available for demo. Don't hold your breath for the 27.5 though. It may or may not become a reality. Intense has showed a lot of project bikes that turn into production bikes, but they have also shown a lot that never get produced...
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Now older but less slow!
    Dave, good to know you have a large (I'm 5'11" - so large it probably is) and I'll take you up on that something in the next few weeks.

It was sounding from Mr Intense's post that the 650b dropouts for the Carbine should be available soon (by soon, I'm assuming end of Summer/early Fall). The Tracer 27.5 sounds more questionable with the comment "and should see production in he future".

I'm really wanting sometime with wheels bigger than 26" for better rolling over the rocks we have here and more grip than I get today. However, I am not totally convinced on the 29er thing either (hard-tail yes, but trail bike? Err, no) so I hope the 'tween wheel works out.

Right now, I'm guessing that Intense may be waiting in the wings for the forks and rims/tires in 27.5 size to start flowing in. On a side note, how long typically does it take to get a Carbine frame should one work out for me?
    Last edited by TheNormsk; 06-12-2012 at 09:58 PM. Reason: typos

mtbr member
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

ride
    Give me a shout or shoot me an email Kerryn to further discuss offline if you'd like. thanks! dave at redstone cyclery dot com
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO