mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Tent Camping- Boulder Area

A buddy and I are looking for places to camp and not having a lot of luck finding many good spots online. Looking for primitive tent camping for a few days while we ride the local trails and Valmont. Are there places out there that aren't found online or is it going to have to be a trip from one of the national parks? I'd rather spend the time out there fairly close to Boulder and not driving.

Thanks in advance!

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Raul34 View Post
    A buddy and I are looking for places to camp and not having a lot of luck finding many good spots online. Looking for primitive tent camping for a few days while we ride the local trails and Valmont. Are there places out there that aren't found online or is it going to have to be a trip from one of the national parks? I'd rather spend the time out there fairly close to Boulder and not driving.

Thanks in advance!
    Camping in Boulder County, Colorado | USA Today

Bad Case of the Mondays
    If it were me, I'd probably opt to go up to the Peak2Peak highway around Nederland and camp up there. Better scenery, cooler temps and good riding from camp but you'll have to either drive or catch the bus from Nederland to get to Valmont. Its about a 30 minute trip up / down the canyon.

Here is a page that lists some of the campgrounds near Boulder:
    Camping at Eldorado Canyon | Colorado Parks and Wildlife

I personally wouldn't really consider the fairgrounds in Longmont or St Vrain State Park (next to a very busy stretch of I-25) as great options.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    ^^Thanks Jdub. We would like to avoid commercial campgrounds as much as possible. Have a good buddy in Boulder, but his place isn't available to stay. I'm just curious if there is a smaller private campground that isn't well advertised that someone may have stayed at and had a good experience. I'm sure we can just wing it once we get there, but I'd like to have some semblance of a plan.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I think Boulder Mountain lodge up Canyon has a tent area but I am not sure Boulder Mountain Lodge
    If you dont mind being away from town theres a Forest Service area to Camp up near Gross res. on the Magnolia side

Except when I'm driving
    Mar 2012
    Pretty much anywhere in the National Forest you can camp, the Ceran St. Vrain trailhead comes to mind if you are looking for primitive spots. Lyons has camping at Meadow Park, it's a city park.
    I'm bored and at work or else I would be riding

contains quinine
    There are some spots near the switzerland trail and gordon gulch.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Do you have a 4wd and clearance? Maybe some offroading skills too? If so there are some places right off the backside of Flagstaff a little beyong walker ranch, but are only accessible by OHV, biking with camp gear or hiking. Althought the campsites are less than a mile from where you would have to park a normal car. Or you can camp at gross reservoir which is only 15 minutes from Boulder and a short bike ride from camp to walker ranch. Only problem is you can't swim in the lake which is tempting when it's 90 degrees out!