Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Now older but less slow!

Technical trails - what is good?

So I was riding the canyons at Pueblo and loved them. I was surprised at how easy I found them so I want to up the game. What trails are longer (in length and height drop) and gnarlier with the same kind of rock slab type of technical features in this area? I'm not after man-made bike park type of technical with jumps, berms and such like.

I love SSV but it is still too cross countryish for the type of trail I'm looking for. I'm after that natural rocky (eroded type) of trail that has plenty of rock slabs/ledges and drops and a distinct lack of groomed dirt. I used to ride a lot of these in the mountains of Wales and England but I haven't seen too much of it over here yet.

I'm guessing Blackjack at Buffalo Creek is up there. Would you say this is easier or harder than the Pueblo canyons?

So suggestions?

Anyway here are a few vids from my session at Pueblo. I have more but just haven't got to uploading them yet.

The Freeride Trail
    Pueblo - Freeride Trail - YouTube

Hooters Canyon
    Pueblo - Hooters Canyon - YouTube

Water Tower Trail
    Pueblo - Water Tower Trail - YouTube

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Hall Ranch rock garden
    Blackjack in BC
    Devils Backbone (parts)
    Bobcat Ridge
    Dakota Ridge
    Deer Creek Canyon (parts)

Now older but less slow!
    Done Hall Ranch and Bobcat Ridge and Devils Backbone. Still not quite what I am looking for.

Perhaps I need to get a less capable bike to make everything harder? Ride it on my 26er hard-tail...

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Moab.

formerly Nomad rdr
    Apr 2010
    At about 1:05 in your hooters video take a right. More technical than the main trail.

Now older but less slow!

Next time I head back to Pueblo I'll be focusing on the Canyons. I rode most canyons only once and noted more interesting lines as I was descending.

I'll definitely will try out the non main lines next time

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNormsk View Post
    I'm after that natural rocky (eroded type) of trail that has plenty of rock slabs/ledges and drops and a distinct lack of groomed dirt.
    You're not going to find that kind of terrain around here.

Your comment about getting a less-capable bike is funny. You must be the best rider on the mountain.

mtbr member
    Next time I head back to Pueblo I'll be focusing on the Canyons. I rode most canyons only once and noted more interesting lines as I was descending.

I'll definitely will try out the non main lines next time
    Skip Pueblo & hit up Palmer Park & Ute Valley trails in Colorado Springs. Both have some nice, techy trails, some fast, some slower, but super fun to session both places. Ute, IMO, has a bit more than Palmer regarding the drops & jumps. Went Saturday & rode both, good times!

Now older but less slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Your comment about getting a less-capable bike is funny. You must be the best rider on the mountain.
    It's in jest, however, my Tallboy LTc is such a capable machine it does make trails that I was unable to ride on my mid 90s 26er cross country bike ridiculously easy. The capabilities are now only limited by my skills even though I've been riding for 20 years.

Now older but less slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by inkpad View Post
    Skip Pueblo & hit up Palmer Park & Ute Valley trails in Colorado Springs. Both have some nice, techy trails, some fast, some slower, but super fun to session both places. Ute, IMO, has a bit more than Palmer regarding the drops & jumps. Went Saturday & rode both, good times!
    Great. Hopefully the weather won't be too bad this week (this is my last week off before I start work again..)

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Go hit free lunch in Grand Junction or TWE, Portal or Amasa in Moab. The entrance to Horsetheif might make your you know what pucker as well. I always drive west to get my technical fix.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    It's in jest, however, my Tallboy LTc is such a capable machine it does make trails that I was unable to ride on my mid 90s 26er cross country bike ridiculously easy. The capabilities are now only limited by my skills even though I've been riding for 20 years.
    Yeah, I was just giving you sh*t anyways... in all honesty though, for consistent riding like you describe you're going to have to visit Moab or the GJ/Fruita area.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Yeah, I was just giving you sh*t anyways... in all honesty though, for consistent riding like you describe you're going to have to visit Moab or the GJ/Fruita area.
    If you happen to be up here in Salida, there is one trail that could be what you're looking for. Longer than anything at Pueblo, and harder than anything I've seen there. I don't recall encountering anything at Pueblo that intimidated me so much I wouldn't ride it. But our Unkle Nazty trail has a couple bits that just look like an emergency room visit to me. It's mostly a dense lava-type rock. Not like pumice that's low density and will shear off if you skid it. Similar bubbly rough surface texture, but hard. Mean rock. Flesh ripping rock.

It's a steep-ass climb up jeep road to get to it. Really steep to the upper part. But if you're here and want to ride something techy give it a shot.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

Now older but less slow!

^^^ Sounds dangerous

Not sure if/when I'd get to Salida but thx for the offer. I'd give you a shout if I do.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    If you happen to be up here in Salida, there is one trail that could be what you're looking for. Longer than anything at Pueblo, and harder than anything I've seen there. I don't recall encountering anything at Pueblo that intimidated me so much I wouldn't ride it. But our Unkle Nazty trail has a couple bits that just look like an emergency room visit to me. It's mostly a dense lava-type rock. Not like pumice that's low density and will shear off if you skid it. Similar bubbly rough surface texture, but hard. Mean rock. Flesh ripping rock.

It's a steep-ass climb up jeep road to get to it. Really steep to the upper part. But if you're here and want to ride something techy give it a shot.

that is a fun one.. worth a couple laps
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

ridin dirtay
    moar speed
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    ^^^ Sounds dangerous

Not sure if/when I'd get to Salida but thx for the offer. I'd give you a shout if I do.
    Pffft. That old man rides a 71* 29'er. Probably doesn't even have a dropper post. I'd wager that trail is slightly more challenging than Green Mountain.

The 5th knuckle

Technical trail

Here you go. Have a go at this Technical Report Archive and Image Library
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Black Jack is a leap over anything at Pueblo.
    South Saint Vrain comes mind as at least as hard as Pueblo.
    Lion Gulch.
    Crosier Mountain.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Pffft. That old man rides a 71* 29'er. Probably doesn't even have a dropper post. I'd wager that trail is slightly more challenging than Green Mountain.
    Shut your WHORE MOUTH!
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Shut your WHORE MOUTH!

ride
    2nd Lion Gulch. Or Round Mountain.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Your bike is incorrigible
    There are a few trails at Hartman that sound more like what you're describing. That's a weird place. It looks so tame, even driving by Rattlesnake you think it looks easy. It ain't, and there are nastier trails, too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Blackjack is the best tech trail I've seen in the area with natural features. If you can clean that trail you are a god IMHO. I have gotten most of the downs, but there are a few ups in there that I look at with wonder... Maybe with a trials bike? Dakota Ridge is up there as well, though kinda short. If you can get up the stairs and through the following tech section you should probably look at MTB as a profession.

Others here mentioned Moab, but your selection of "I won't be able to clean everything here" type trails is diminishing rapidly out there. The newest trails like mag-7 and Capt Ahab don't have anything even close to the likes of Blackjack, and are fully rideable by intermediates. Porcupine Rim has had a LOT of work done on the lower section in an attempt to sway people from "braiding" trails by going around the tech sections. It's a shame they feel the need to sanitize these trails down to the lowest common denominator..

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRage43 View Post

Others here mentioned Moab, but your selection of "I won't be able to clean everything here" type trails is diminishing rapidly out there. The newest trails like mag-7 and Capt Ahab don't have anything even close to the likes of Blackjack, and are fully rideable by intermediates. Porcupine Rim has had a LOT of work done on the lower section in an attempt to sway people from "braiding" trails by going around the tech sections. It's a shame they feel the need to sanitize these trails down to the lowest common denominator..
    The point has been made time and again - Porc Rim *used* to be way easier than it is now. Erosion and time has been rather abusive to that trail. Give it a few seasons and new, different gnar will be back. And your assertion that tech is diminishing is amusing. A lot of the big tech exists on the jeep trail/doubletrack and it will always be there. And let's not forget Portal.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast