Team Inflexible

Tanner Stultz Loop in Canyon City

Has any body ridden this trail? I am wondering if they had the same bad experience I had.

The Falcon Colorado Springs area Trail Book rated this a 3hr ride max.

It turned out to be a 5 1/2 hour hike a bike with a 2 hour down hill in the dark..

Somthing I would never do again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    When I lived in Canon City that was one of my training rides for the LT100. I'd ride to the trailhead from my house, do the loop, ride home. The first time I did it I rode it out in the dark. It was "just" light enough to sorta see on the downhill; a good thing as it's VERY stout riding. It was black on the road down to town but I'd left a note for my wife telling her where I'd gone so I expected each set of headlight to be my rescue... I got home at 9:15 and she and the kids were watching x-files reruns...

Just the loop portion takes me 3.5 hours and I know it well, 2.5 to 3 hours as the book states is a sandbag.

mtbr member
    HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Oh man...I did this with a buddy of mine about five years ago. It was BRUTAL. Sounds like the same experience you had. Planning on a 3hr ride and it took 5-6 hours. Turns out the trail is pretty much a dedicated ATV/Motorcycle trail now.

Now check this out. We SWORE on the trail, practicaly swore a blood oath that if we ever met the idoit that wrote the guide - we'd kill him no questions asked.

So about 2 years ago...my buddy calls me from Palmer Park "Dude! What's the NAME of the guy that wrote that friggin thing about Tanner Stultz?". Turns out he was riding in Palmer, struck up a conversation with some rider - talked about stuff and this guy says "Yeah, I write some biking trail guides".

Then my buddy asks "You didn't happen to write this Riding Colorado Springs guide with the thing about Tanner Stultz did you"?

It was hilarious! The guy hadn't ridden Tanner Stultz in quite a while and had no idea how ripped up the climb had become from the ATV's. He appologized profusely.

If you get the revised edition of "Riding Colorado Springs"...the Tanner Stultz description is pretty well updated...and he gives props to my buddy in his acknowledgements section for "Keeping it real".

BTW - I live in Penrose. I'm always looking for rides out that way (and building trails at my own place). I recently heard of a killer trail near Beulah (just SW of Peublo). I'll be trying it out in May - I'll post here when I'm heading out there.
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

Team Inflexible
    Yeah We swore the same thing "kill the author" I am glad somebody had words with him.

On a positive note we reached the summit at dusk and saw the most beautiful Sunset over the Sangre de Cristos while weaving our way though a heard of 20 deer. We also passed by a huge buck moments before. It's funny despite all the pain and agony this moment is what stands out. Man I love mountain biking.

Beulah is awesome! I rode that area several times last year and can't wait to ride it again. My favorite is Squirrel Creek to Second Mace to Dome rock. About a 15 mile lariat that is pretty tough. It seems like you cross squirrel creek at least 30 times. After a few times I would start to laugh. Plan on getting wet! Dome rock is a superb down hill. Probably my 2nd favorite down hill next to Greens creek off the crest. It's raw and techno and very beautiful.

If you are not up for a long climb you can shuttle to Davenport campground and get picked up in Beulah.

Cisneros and St Charles are other trails I plan to explore this year in the same area.

Beulah is a little known Jem. I only passed one other Mountain Biker the 4 times I rode it last year.

Gravy Boat Regatta
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaydude_72
    Cisneros and St Charles are other trails I plan to explore this year in the same area.
    I enjoyed the Tanner / Stultze loop. Granted the climb is a slog on an ATV trail. (Note that I climbed the ATV trail in spring 2005 - conditions were good then. The whole climb was rideable and not too loose).

We also found the descent to be much shorter than you. However, we descended during the day. All but the first switch back got cleaned by myself and riding partner. Again, this may have to do with current riding conditions.

I talked about riding that loop again; but never have (so I guess it wasn't that great of a ride).

As for St. Charles - avoid the "climb" as noted in the C-SPrings guide book. Portions of the climb were difficult to hike up. We met some motos at the Cisneros/st Charles junction. They laughed at us and told us to ride up Cisneros to the forest road, take a right, and then take a trail in to the high alpine meadow (that the st charles trail runs through). The meadow was fun (reminiscent of Limbaugh; except with less people). The climb out again turned into a slog. The descent was great. Good mix of technical and length. ohh what length.

IMO - Cisneros to St CHarles is around 1/5 stars. However Cisneros to Snowslide is 4.5/5 stars (phenomenal downhill. Technical at first then fast fast fast.) I'd imagine Cisneros to the forest road, back to St CHarles could be a 4/5 as well.
    Hi

Team Inflexible
    We rode the Tanner Stultz loop in March of this year. Hence one of the reason we ran ot of daylight. So the trail conditions may have been good for this trail. It was still chewed up by atvs but the challenge was the grade/steepness.
    I consider myselft to be a strong climber but ended up hiking up most of the climb. Maybe I need to ride it again now that I know what to expect. The views of the Wet Valley make it almost worth it.

In the book the downhill is rated a 5+? I did not find it too technical seeing how I rode almost the entire downhill in the dark, a little slow but still on my bike.

Thanks for the heads up on Cisceneros. Ciscenerosto Snowslide sounds like a good run to try first.

Has any one ridden Dome rock?