Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Taken out!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Taken out!

So a friend of mine riding a poplar trail was taken out by another mtbiker. Spring Creek trail runs from the high school in steamboat to Dry Lake campground, about 4 miles uphill. In the last few year it's become popular with armor clad riders who shuttle to the top for downhill runs. My friend was riding up, rang his bell to warn the downhill rider and still got smashed. He is looking at a trashed Crossmax wheel, front Fox fork and possibly a damaged head tube on his Moots 29er. If the frame is damaged, my friend is looking at a $5000+ loss from this "accident".

Wondering what the forum's thought are on this type of bike on bike crash? Is the downhilling rider liable for damages to my friends rig? Time for a Lawyer?

I would suggest that if a rider is so out of control that they cannot avoid a crash with other trail users they should be responsible for the damages from their recklessness.

What do you think?

killin clear creek
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker View Post
    I would suggest that if a rider is so out of control that they cannot avoid a crash with other trail users they should be responsible for the damages from their recklessness.
    As someone who rides mostly DH... I say yes.

I'm not in favor of law suits in general, but if someone is that reckless, they need to learn a lesson. (and at very least pay for what they damaged.)
    Quote Originally Posted by thump View Post
    How about we take the "let it burn approach" with the rotting cesspool of the Denver metro?

Your bike is incorrigible
    Are you making this up because of all the Strava nonsense lately?

If it's true, then I'd say the downhill rider should pay up. Still, if I saw some idiot riding like he owned the place, I'd get out of the way and yell, not just stay on the trail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Sorry for being dumb, anyone know how I can start a new thread. says I can but I cant see new thread button.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrider View Post
    Sorry for being dumb, anyone know how I can start a new thread. says I can but I cant see new thread button.
    Make 4 more posts.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    thanks, 1 down 3 more to go

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Not making this up, he has pics if his trashed Moots on Facebook.

mtbr member
    Spring Creek is the sh!++iest trail to run DH. You guys thing Buff Creek is all marbles, it doesn't even hold a candle to Spring Creek!
    The sad thing is, that bozo w/ the DH bike...it's prob the most valuable thing he owns and trying to collect would be like getting blood out of a turnip!
    I def think the cops/sheriff should be involved, if for no other reason than to perhaps make him sell the DH rig and keep that d!ckh3ad off the mountain, and bike, for a while.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Does he know who the DH rider is?

First step would be to get a tally of the damage and contact the DH rider. When he denies (and probably freaks out) any responsibility, then it's time to either check out small claims or speak with a lawyer. And maybe even talk to the rangers out there; there could be more than just civil liability involved, too.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Not making this up, he has pics if his trashed Moots on Facebook.
    Does your bud know who plow him...the dumbass shuttle twat?

How's about upping some pics?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

contains quinine
    The book of faces has the same story tonight with this picture. No idea if true or not, but guessing it had to be a forceful impact with something (if not a head on collision then what?) to cause that kind of damage.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    That's Corey's Moots.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I run trails too and see this....most mtbers ...perhaps more than 9 out of 10 ...understand responsibility and will either yield or at least apologize/acknowledge an uphill RoW. I understand gravity, so I get the hell out of the way when necessary. However, there are occasions where it is obvious the rider did not care one bit who they plowed over.....and I've seen some top pro mtbers here in Durango act like asses on heavy and multi use trails.

It's a tort like any other....don't let bike culture play into it. If someone acts without regard for others they certainly take on liability.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The DH rider now says its half my friends fault for riding a dual direction trail, and will only cover 1/2 the damages. LAME!

mtbr member
    The DH rider now says its half my friends fault for riding a dual direction trail, and will only cover 1/2 the damages. LAME!
    Sounds a call to the sheriff is in order? Get the Sandy's involved; have your buddy ask for their help.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

killin clear creek
    You really think your buddy will even see the 1/2 the guy is claiming he'll cover without getting the law involved??? Not likely. Now that he has likely waited, he'll have a much harder time getting anything/ proving what happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by thump View Post
    How about we take the "let it burn approach" with the rotting cesspool of the Denver metro?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    SSPD already weighed in and said its a civil matter, no charges or report.

mtbr member
    Yes, but has your friend gone in and sworn out a complaint for assault?
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Gaddammit, that PD is REALLY just the biggest POS on the planet, good for friggin' nothing but speeding tix and DUIs huh?!
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm not so sure that SSPD gives speeding tickets, but DUI's are an easy charge in this town. What else is anyone doing out past 10pm besides drinking?

mtbr member
    I'm not so sure that SSPD gives speeding tickets, but DUI's are an easy charge in this town. What else is anyone doing out past 10pm besides drinking?
    HAHAHA...
    I don't know what kind of trustafari you are, but I worked... waiting tables, night audit, IT service calls for the hotel.

So will PD not even take a complaint like Skiahh suggested? What about the sheriff's...or is Spring Creek w/in city limits so the sheriff's also won't touch it? If they don't I'd give Steamboat Pilot a call and let the public know just how they're being "served and protected".

Edit: don't know if you can sense it, but I have nothing but contempt for the entire governmental structure in that town. The whole lot of them got off the friggin' short-bus when they pulled into town!
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Apr 2012
    Maybe the DHer should sue the Moots guy for jacking up his Strava. Maybe the Moots guy should sue Strava.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    cops don't care they have better things to do than mediate between two mtbrs

the only way your going to get any money or get the cops involved is to have personal injury and be carted off by the ambulance thats how it works, so always remember to get hurt if you want money

as far as shuttling I thought it was just some front range "problem" well sure enough shuttling is getting pretty popular in breckenridge. and wow what a mess it is. you've got a bunch of tourons with their heads up their butt wandering along a trail and here comes some mtbrs full speed with no concern for anyone else and guess what... some gaper is gonna get hurt

at least in breck we have tons of tax dollars to waste so enough complaints and someone will be out there patroling the trail, no joke it will happen

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Bummer. I've gotten close to being taken out a few times. I avoid those trails now...especially on weekends.

As it's been said, a lot of these kids have every penny they have invested in that bike.

Rule #1: Never sue poor people.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Gaddammit, that PD is REALLY just the biggest POS on the planet, good for friggin' nothing but speeding tix and DUIs huh?!
    What is he supposed to do? There are no laws governing trails. From his perspective, you have two guys that ran into each othe on a trail. Was there criminal negligence?

I think the DHer should have to pay for the damages. But the bigger picture here is who was at fault? Both had the right to be there, one should've yielded to the other, but missed or didnt. In the whole scheme of things, the sherrif has bigger crimes to solve ( speeding tix not one of them, lol).

So does one write legislation to inact laws on trails? God I hope not. However, if the local authority isn't going to care about public safety on trails, then poaching wilderness trails is what I should do.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast