icegeek is hot

Take a guess: In which county did I see this sign posted?

Psst ... I'll give you a hint ... ... it wasn't Jeffco.

(Yes, it's a rhetorical question.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TVC15; 08-06-2008 at 06:40 PM.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by TVC15
    Psst ... I'll give you a hint ... ... it wasn't Jeffco.

(Yes, it's a rhetorical question.)
    Casper County?

No pic.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

icegeek is hot
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    Casper County?

No pic.
    goddamnitihatepicasawhatthephucki'lltry again(goodjokethoughasusuald).

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    That's Summit County.There are several popular trails that we put those signs up at. The sign flips open for spring run off and reads "Trail wet, voluntary closure for mountain bikes" Several of them have been shot up and need to be replaced.

icegeek is hot
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm
    That's Summit County.There are several popular trails that we put those signs up at. The sign flips open for spring run off and reads "Trail wet, voluntary closure for mountain bikes"
    Huh. Wow. So, your guys up there are pretty much promoting mutual responsibility and mutual respect between users, and actively discouraging the "My Own Private Idaho" mindset. Fascinating, mindblowing concept. Pretty much the anti-Jeffco approach, wouldn'tcha say?

Your people need to talk to our people.

PS: Thanks for the tip on the Peaks Trail

mtbr member

Yup >>>trying for peace

Thank god we have such a tight comunity up here. I guess that sign is on Peaks from the other post> I would have guessed Spruce Creek, which if you havent ridden, you need to.
    The best trails are STILL...

www.breckepic.com
    http://mavsports.com/

icegeek is hot
    Quote Originally Posted by breckseth
    Thank god we have such a tight comunity up here. I guess that sign is on Peaks from the other post> I would have guessed Spruce Creek, which if you havent ridden, you need to.
    Well, thanks much. I haven't ridden it and find myself in immediate need of a ride plan this afternoon. Can you point me to a map link or give me the low down? Please keep in mind my knowledge of Summit County is pretty limited. Thanks!

And seriously, your people really need to talk to our people. There's smart ways and dumbass ways to go about this kind of user management, and we unfortunately have more of the latter in Jeffco lately.

mtbr member

Come By!

For sake of time and the impending rain clouds> get on your bike and ride to Empire Burger> come in and ask for Seth> Burro>Spruce Creek is accross the street from here> I'm here all day.
    The best trails are STILL...

www.breckepic.com
    http://mavsports.com/

icegeek is hot
    Quote Originally Posted by breckseth
    For sake of time and the impending rain clouds> get on your bike and ride to Empire Burger> come in and ask for Seth> Burro>Spruce Creek is accross the street from here> I'm here all day.
    Dude!! I came in there last night for take out!! A green chili burger around 8pm -- with Jalapeno Ranch dipping sauce don'tcha know ... Best damn burger I've had in forever too.

too funny.

Small world.

See you in a bit.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Huh. Wow. So, your guys up there are pretty much promoting mutual responsibility and mutual respect between users, and actively discouraging the "My Own Private Idaho" mindset. Fascinating, mindblowing concept. Pretty much the anti-Jeffco approach, wouldn'tcha say?

Your people need to talk to our people.

PS: Thanks for the tip on the Peaks Trail
    Well, we try..

The Summit Fat Tire Society has made educating riders on not only environmentally ethical trail usage a high priority but also trail etiquette with other users. We have worked hard to earn and nurture a good relationship with the Forest Service and the county and town open space departments. I think a good part of this is the SFTS is a stewardship organization first and an access organization second. The thought is that access follows stewardship.
    I think one of the most obvious reasons that we don't have the conflicts that you folks in the front range have is simple numbers. We have much more undeveloped public land out our doors and we simply don't have the population base (although on busy days it seems like we do ) nearby competing for a finite amount of trail. We also have plenty of nearby designated wilderness for hikers who don't want to encounter mountain bikes (Horses are not a big issue except in a few places such as where commercial O-G stables are destroying sections of the CT at Copper).
    I don't envy you folks down in the front range trying to come up with solutions. I really believe that with high use comes a need for increased need for more management; I just don't see anyway around that. That doesn't mean that management shouldn't make sense and be fair, nor does it mean it has to be oppressive. It takes a lot of communication between the managing agencies and the user groups to keep the pot from boiling over and even then there are going to be irreconcilable differences. Often compromises have to be made that leave everyone walking out of the room unhappy, such is the nature of democracy.
    Is there a "friends of JEFFCO open space group? I know there is an open space board but what about a separate group that is evenly divided between the user groups that not only works on conflict resolution but organizes trail projects, has voluntary bike-hike-horse patrol volunteers who help with education and that sort of thing. maybe it would be redundant to what the existing advisory board does, but if you added the component of on the ground field work it might foster 'dirty hands' cooperation.

mtbr member
    That's Summit County.There are several popular trails that we put those signs up at. The sign flips open for spring run off and reads "Trail wet, voluntary closure for mountain bikes" Several of them have been shot up and need to be replaced.
    Do you think the mountain bikers shot them up?

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dauwalt
    Do you think the mountain bikers shot them up?
    Jeeze, I dunno man,I never thought of mountain bikers carrying firearms before - the thought certainly never entered my mind, but the way some guys on this board talk about packing heat.....

icegeek is hot
    Jeeze, I dunno man,I never thought of mountain bikers carrying firearms before - the thought certainly never entered my mind, but the way some guys on this board talk about packing heat.....
    Well I did hear about this biker who went absolutely crazy on the trail, screamed like a madman at a bunch of really sweet handicapped kids, whipped out a rusty machete from his Camelbak, and then rode a few feet to their trailside bus and then slashed all ten of its tires.

The kids were so traumatized Jeffco got sued and now has to pay for their psychotherapy.

Crazy biking menaces. Something's gotta be done about them ...

Last edited by TVC15; 08-08-2008 at 08:42 AM.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Well I did hear about this biker who went absolutely crazy on the trail, screamed like a madman at a bunch of really sweet handicapped kids, whipped out a rusty machete from his Camelbak, and then rode a few feet to their trailside bus and then slashed all ten of its tires.

The kids were so traumatized Jeffco got sued and now has to pay for their psychotherapy.

Crazy biking menaces. Something's gotta be done about them ...

Stuff like this just doesn't make the news anymore, does it?

Thread Terrorist

Here's one... guess where this one is from

If you can guess it right, I'll buy you a beer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

icegeek is hot
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    If you can guess it right, I'll buy you a beer.
    No idea. I'll guess Boulder County.