Goofing off?

Tag A Long bike wanted

Does anyone here in the front range have a tag along (trail a bike) bike they are looking to sell? My girls (4&6) would be stoked to get out of the trailer and pedal themselves. My older girl does ride but her little sis would like the wind in her hair as well. Yes, I checked the classifieds. Also, what have been your experiences with trailing your kids?

Trips for Kids Denver
    Hey, I've got one available that my neice just outgrew! My wife bought it so I'll have to get a price from her. It's in great shape and they had a lot of fun with it riding to the movies and on bike paths. I wouldn't off road it however.

I can get you a pic today if you're interested.

Thanks,
    Andy...

Goat of Legend
    I've had my oldest on one since she turned three. I ended up cutting three inches off the seatpost so it would go low enough for her. We'll occasionally do the single track trails at Bear Creek Lake Park and I think it would handle most of Green Mountain ok.

I found mine on Ebay brand new for around $115 shipped to my door.

My wife and oldest daughter at Lake Summit, NC

Tabetha and Ayla on Lake Summit

Happy girls on Lake Summit

old skool newbie
    My wife saw one for $20 a couple of weeks ago at the second-hand, kid's stuff store in Evergreen. The store is right by the stoplight downtown.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Keep an eye on Craigslist - we've gotten one from there and one from a garage sale. They're GREAT... my kids loved them before they were able to ride on their own.

Bad Andy
    I'm pretty sure I still have one in the shed. I'll check tonight when I get home, and let you know, if you haven't already made other arrangements - like from the other Andy!
    We had a great time with it with both our kids. We mostly did the paved bike paths, maybe some easy/smooth offroad stuff.

mtbr member

Which brand of Tag Along Bike?

There was one of these just posted today on Craigslist (Denver). The brand is 'In Step'.
    I too am interested in getting one of these for my little guy but not sure which brand to look for. I've read some reveiws on Amazon and a common complaint is inferior coupling mechanisms. Anyone able to offer more input on which bikes to look at and which to avoid? I've also read that REI's version is maybe the best but a bit heavy.

Goat of Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Comrade K
    There was one of these just posted today on Craigslist (Denver). The brand is 'In Step'.
    I too am interested in getting one of these for my little guy but not sure which brand to look for. I've read some reveiws on Amazon and a common complaint is inferior coupling mechanisms. Anyone able to offer more input on which bikes to look at and which to avoid? I've also read that REI's version is maybe the best but a bit heavy.
    I think some of the older versions had issues with their couplings. I'm partial to Adam's trail a bikes but I'm sure there are others that are just as good on the market.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Both the ones we have (Kent & Alley Cat) are heavy and the couplings are a bit dodgy. Doesn't really seem to detract from the overall experience, though.

hehe ...you said "member"
    I have an In Step - originally bought for my oldest around 2003. It has been through three kids and works great. In fact, I would hook the tandem to my bike and then the trailer to the tandem - and we would trail ride with that setup (I did avoid large drops when pulling all three )

The link on this one was cool because it was a clamp attached to your seat post that had a quick release lever that hooked to the tagalong - very sturdy/secure.

Sadly, I have already promised it to a neighbor or I'd be giving it away to you. Nonetheless, the In Step was great for us. I only changed the tire once.
    Me fail english? Thats unpossible. - Matt Groening

slow
    We had two of them when our kids were smaller. Both kids loved them and we took them on all kinds of terrain, including single track. I towed my daughter up the service road at Horsetooth, and up Hewlett Gulch west of Fort Collins. The two biggest things to watch out for are that you need to allow an increased turning radius, and increased stopping distance. My rim brakes were barely enough coming down from Horsetooth, and on many single tracks.

We had a Kent foldable that we bought at Target for $75 and a Burley Piccolo that we got at a garage sale for $75. Ended up selling the Kent 5 years later for $60 and the Burley 5 years later for over $200. The Burley was lighter and better built, with a more secure mounting system, but required the use of a dedicated rack attached to the bike. The Kent had a sketchy clamp that went around the seatpost, and used cheap plastic shims for sizing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I've got a Giant "Halfwheeler SS" that the boy has grown out of. Folds in half for easy transport, made of aluminum so it's nice and light.

Bad Andy
    I do still have ours in the shed. It is an Adams trail-a-bike.
    Let me know if interested.
    Will be very reasonable (free), unless I am thirsty