mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Switzerland Trail Singletrack

I have done some exploring
    Last edited by jfk1700; 02-22-2009 at 08:37 AM.

ride
    As long as you are on USFS land, riding a bike is legal unless specifically posted illegal. I.E. if you see a USFS sign that says "hiking only" you can ride it because it does not say "no bikes." Technically, it is illegal to create social trails but it is legal to ride on them. Forest rules dictate that you have to stay on existing roads and trails and you can be on anything that is not private or marked "no bikes."

You really have to know your land managers around here. City and County of Boulder manage quite differently. On city or county land, you are only able to legally ride your bike on trails specifically posted with a sign that says "open to bikes."

That's why I spend most of my time exploring in the forest

edit - most property owners in the neck of woods you describe are very good about posting private property. There are usually also little yellow USFS signs that mark land ownership boundaries.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I unfortunately don't have a clue where these trails are you mention. That said, time to let this thread die.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish
    I unfortunately don't have a clue where these trails are you mention. That said, time to let this thread die.
    Sounds good to me. I have all the information I need.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    As long as you are on USFS land, riding a bike is legal unless specifically posted illegal. I.E. if you see a USFS sign that says "hiking only" you can ride it because it does not say "no bikes." Technically, it is illegal to create social trails but it is legal to ride on them. Forest rules dictate that you have to stay on existing roads and trails and you can be on anything that is not private or marked "no bikes."

You really have to know your land managers around here. City and County of Boulder manage quite differently. On city or county land, you are only able to legally ride your bike on trails specifically posted with a sign that says "open to bikes."

That's why I spend most of my time exploring in the forest

edit - most property owners in the neck of woods you describe are very good about posting private property. There are usually also little yellow USFS signs that mark land ownership boundaries.
    The FS used have use prescription in tier forest plans that allowed cross country (off designated trails) travel by bike and motor vehicles. (Prescriptions in a forest plan are kind of like zoning, each prescription has its own objectives and travel management policies) As forest plans have been updated they have pretty much done away with that prescription and restricted wheeled use to designated trails. I don't know how old the Forest plan for this area is, they are supposed to update them every 20 years, so it might still allow cross country travel. However, if the plan has been updated in the last 7-8 years I would be very surprised if cross country travel off designated trails is allowed, I know on the White River Forest, the management stratagy is "closed unless designated open" and while I may be wrong on this, I thought it was a nation wide policy that the FS is heading in.

mtbmike

Hear me now, believe me later....

Today: For bikes, it's open unless specifically designated closed. For motorized it is closed unless specifically designated open.

Yes, changes are coming. But for today and foreseable future, the above statement applies in the Boulder Ranger District.

If you want to check out ownership, I encourage people to make use of the Boudler County Parcel Find webpage. It's a useful tool to positively know if you are on public land or not.

The Switzerland Trail was created to service the mines, and therefore some of the most messed up ownership patterns can be found along that route.

DO NOT ASSUME!

http://map.co.boulder.co.us/basemap/default.jsp

This site should be able to identify quite well if the land is public, and if not, who owns it.
    mtbmike
    Longmont Colorado

The world is run by those that show up....

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    thanks, that website is very useful.

skillz to pay billz
    Looks like I've got some explorin' to do.

..ouch
    Errr.. Nothin to see there except fireroads, rutted out moto tracks, barbed wire fences and loose dogs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by thump
    Errr.. Nothin to see there except fireroads, rutted out moto tracks, barbed wire fences and loose dogs.
    I agree.
    Last edited by jfk1700; 02-22-2009 at 08:35 AM.