Ride Everything

Switzerland Trail -- cross bike?

Never ridden it. Would a cross-type bike be OK, or am I asking for pinch-flats, etc?
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

EJP
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MileHighMark View Post
    Never ridden it. Would a cross-type bike be OK, or am I asking for pinch-flats, etc?
    I think it should be fine. There may be a few sections that you have to pick your way through. Enjoy! It has great views.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

I like 'em either blond and fruity or dark and chocolaty

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    totally fine on a cross bike. and with all the moisture lately, the sand might not be too bad.

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by EJP View Post
    I think it should be fine. There may be a few sections that you have to pick your way through. Enjoy! It has great views.
    Thanks, much appreciated.

Assuming the monsoons subside, I'll give it a try this weekend.

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Its a good time. Especially up from 4mile to Sugarloaf.
    The only issue I had was descending from Gold Hill into 4Mile while trying to outrun lightening. The trail was a river, thunder was going off and I double pinchflatted. Damn near went hypothermic trying to get things fixed up on that ride.

ride
    If you stay on the road a crosser would suffice. I wouldn't do it, though. Way too many gnarly Jeep road and singletrack offshoots that would be completely suboptimal on skinny tires.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by flowtron View Post
    Its a good time. Especially up from 4mile to Sugarloaf.
    The only issue I had was descending from Gold Hill into 4Mile while trying to outrun lightening. The trail was a river, thunder was going off and I double pinchflatted. Damn near went hypothermic trying to get things fixed up on that ride.
    Was that this past weekend? I did a mixed-surface ride (Sunday) in Superior/Louisville/Boulder and got home just before all hell broke loose.

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MileHighMark View Post
    Was that this past weekend? I did a mixed-surface ride (Sunday) in Superior/Louisville/Boulder and got home just before all hell broke loose.
    Nope, it was almost exactly 10 years ago.

I was driving up 25 to 36 yesterday afternoon, and for a while it looked like the world was gonna end. I probably saw about 20 lightening strikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Funny, I was sitting in my car at the High Plains TH when that storm went over us. I thought the word was going to end, too.

75+ mph winds, hail and rain so hard I couldn't see my hood, and more lightning than I've ever seen.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    You better have the right gearing if you want to do it on a cross bike. It is very rocky. I would want some suspension and smaller gearing for sure.

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by GunMetalGirl View Post
    You better have the right gearing if you want to do it on a cross bike. It is very rocky. I would want some suspension and smaller gearing for sure.
    Currently running a 36/32 low.

I just did a google image search on 'switzerland trail boulder' and it looked pretty doable on 700x37c tires.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    What you can't see is all the loose rocks and sand

Ride Everything
    What you can't see is all the loose rocks and sand
    Is the entire trail like that?

The first three google hits show these pics:

And judging from the following ride report, it sounds doable:

http://303cycling.com/boulder_switzerland_trail

!Vamos, flaco!
    I think there's a disconnect here between the OP's emphasis on "doable" versus others' thoughts on "advisable." Lots of people would not advise riding a cross bike, or a rigid bike for that matter, on most trails in these parts, but that's a different quesiton of whether is can be done. I've ridden a "dirt" road bike with 28s on Bunce School Road and the same bike with 32s on Johnny Park Road. They were both "doable," though Johnny Park Road was just barley so, but they were very different experiences than if I would have had if I had ridden my 29er. To the OP, you want to do it, or so it sounds, so go for it.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    There are many different sections to the Switzerland Trail. The one I've ridden the most is made from an old railway bed and much rockier/sandier/looser then what is pictured.

ride
    Ever going to do that again, Pabs? I guess JP is more doable than ever now though. Don't know if you've been up there recently bit they've graded everything from the west to just past the Bright Ext th.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    There are many different sections to the Switzerland Trail. The one I've ridden the most is made from an old railway bed and much rockier/sandier/looser then what is pictured.
    The most accurate, although the entire "switzerland trail" is actually an old railroad bed that was utilized during the gold rush / after as a marketing ploy to get tourists into the mountains.

I think many people think of the switzerland trail as the section from Gold hill to Sunset to sugaloaf, which can be done on a cross bike as in the pictures above.

However, much of the trail has seen very little use and is overgrown / almost impassable. To do sections beyond those mentioned and pictured you'd want a mountain bike.

The top picture is near between Gold hill and Mt. Alto rec area (which has cool history)
    The middle picture looks to be down at near sunset (almost where some decent singletrack from the gold hill end joins in.
    The bottom picture might be the section from Sunset to Sugarloaf, but i'm not sure.

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr View Post
    Ever going to do that again, Pabs? I guess JP is more doable than ever now though. Don't know if you've been up there recently bit they've graded everything from the west to just past the Bright Ext th.
    I was up there yesterday. You know, I don't have plans to do it again, but there's a lot of places to ride. I can't say I won't do it again.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson