mtbr member

Switzerland Trail

I think I know the answer, but maybe someone here can confirm. Switzerland Trail south side passable - Sunset to Sugarloaf and over to Peak-to-Peak? Hoping to take the long way home today or tomorrow.

Just go ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pluto Pilot
    I think I know the answer, but maybe someone here can confirm. Switzerland Trail south side passable - Sunset to Sugarloaf and over to Peak-to-Peak? Hoping to take the long way home today or tomorrow.
    It's good to go. Rode up Pennsylvania Gulch from Sunset on Sunday too - it was rideable, but had a few snowy spots and a lot of running water. I only had to get off the bike for 2 spots though. It seemed like I got better traction over wet rocks than in dry sand... Have a sweet commute home!
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. -TJ

mtbr member
    Cool. Thanks. I didn't know anybody else rode up PA Gulch voluntarily! That was the best Montezuma training back in the day when that race existed, especially on the single because you'd basically have to walk for 45 minutes, which is exactly what that race was all about...hiking with your bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Montezuma--I saw a documentary on that race, unbelievable, hike up to the top of gray's from the westside at night. You said they don't have it anymore, did everyone die from exertion?

trail waggler
    I didn't know anybody else rode up PA Gulch voluntarily!
    The first time I rode it, I accidentally rode up!
    MY dog can lick YOUR dog!

skillz to pay billz
    is pennsylvania gulch the rocky trail off switz just above sunset?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    is pennsylvania gulch the rocky trail off switz just above sunset?
    Yup. It's a hoot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brokefork
    Montezuma--I saw a documentary on that race, unbelievable, hike up to the top of gray's from the westside at night. You said they don't have it anymore, did everyone die from exertion?
    Yeah. I have to say though, there are few cooler things than being up on the top of Gray's Peak just as the sun is rising. (Some poor bastard had his wheel fall off his backpack at the top a few years back. Rumor is it rolled all the way to I-70). The only thing cooler might have been climbing up Arapahoe Basin at 8 pm and riding down Lenawee Trail under the Milky Way Galaxy in all her splendor. Good stuff.

Last year they had some issues with sponsorship, but I also heard only 2 people had registered by the beginning of August. There are rumors it might go again this year, but nothing on the website. I'd say that race is a direct victim of the Curiak/GDR/CTR free race movement. Why pay $350 to do the revenge when you could ride/race the whole CTR for free?

skillz to pay billz
    thanks, I've gone down it but not up. Someday possibly.

Yup. It's a hoot.
    I did climb the next big climb up the road. That was quite a climb. Where it ends overlooking magnolia across the canyon.

Rolling
    Come on peeps, this is the Front Range forum not the Alps.

Too busy looking good
    Hey, Stefan, what time did you ride up PA Gulch? What kind of loop did you put together? I went up PA Gulch the same day, around 8 AM or so, wondering if maybe I just missed you. I saw no other bikes at all.

My first time up, it's a nice little climb! As you said, most of the trail was under a thin sheet of running water, made it interesting.

Just go ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by HOser
    Hey, Stefan, what time did you ride up PA Gulch? What kind of loop did you put together? I went up PA Gulch the same day, around 8 AM or so, wondering if maybe I just missed you. I saw no other bikes at all.

My first time up, it's a nice little climb! As you said, most of the trail was under a thin sheet of running water, made it interesting.
    We left Boulder around 7:30, so I think we musta been heading up PA Gulch at 9 or so? That was actually the first time I'd ever ridden it! We didn't see any bikes either, and initially took the left hand turn just before the top, but it was still snowed under. From the top, we took CR126 back to Sugarloaf, up to the top of Sugarloaf Mtn, then back down to the road and over to Arkansas Mtn. and down into 4-mile canyon. I think it ended up being about 35 mi and 5000'.

What kind of loop did you end up with? I'm always looking for more ideas of stuff to link into from Boulder.
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. -TJ

Too busy looking good
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan_G
    We left Boulder around 7:30, so I think we musta been heading up PA Gulch at 9 or so? That was actually the first time I'd ever ridden it! We didn't see any bikes either, and initially took the left hand turn just before the top, but it was still snowed under. From the top, we took CR126 back to Sugarloaf, up to the top of Sugarloaf Mtn, then back down to the road and over to Arkansas Mtn. and down into 4-mile canyon. I think it ended up being about 35 mi and 5000'.
    Pretty cool, just missed you then! A nice day it was too, but a bit windy up high.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan_G
    What kind of loop did you end up with? I'm always looking for more ideas of stuff to link into from Boulder.
    Well, my loop won't give you any new ideas, I don't think. I live in east Longmont and left my house at 4:30 AM. Put together the following loop:
    Longmont -> Left Hand Canyon -> Lickskillet -> Gold Hill -> Gold Hill road -> down Switzerland to Sunset -> up PA Gulch to HW 72 -> Nederland -> down Magnolia road -> CR 68J past Walker ranch -> down Flagstaff to Boulder -> back home to Longmont.

Total 88 miles, 7500 vertical feet. About half asphalt so arguably, barely an MTB ride. But, I wanted to get some distance and climbing in, and with the high country still under snow, I decided "Why drive?"

Funny story - at the transition from Magnolia road to CR 68J there's a parking lot with access to some forest service roads, seems to be a popular place for 4WD. I stopped at this lot to read my map, and a group of kids, maybe 18 - 20 years old or so, asked me if I had a pump. Apparently they had a low tire and were desperate to air it up. I have the smallest pump in the world, a tiny Crank Bros. that fits in my seat bag; I warned them it was small, and that it wouldn't help, but they insisted on trying it. Feeling a little self-conscious (there were a couple of girls in the group), I whipped out my pump, and sure enough, one of the girls laughed. Honestly, it was a slightly embarrassing situation. I think I need to switch to the biggest frame pump I can find, just so I can impress the ladies if this happens again.

Just go ride!
    Sounds like you had a pretty big ride!

Quote Originally Posted by HOser
    Feeling a little self-conscious (there were a couple of girls in the group), I whipped out my pump, and sure enough, one of the girls laughed. Honestly, it was a slightly embarrassing situation. I think I need to switch to the biggest frame pump I can find, just so I can impress the ladies if this happens again.
    Nice! That's hilarious! I think I have the same mini-crank bro's pump, and while it might not be very big around, it sure is short!!!