Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Switching shock on '10 Reign...

570 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Pau11y 
#1 ·
Technical question - is there generally any "fit kit" necessary to put a different shock on a Reign? I'm considering getting an old 5th Element coil as a "backup" for mine but wanted to know if there are any bushing/spacers generally required when putting a different shock on. Or are they pretty much standard and I can just switch-and-go?

#3 ·
SkaredShtles said:
Technical question - is there generally any "fit kit" necessary to put a different shock on a Reign? I'm considering getting an old 5th Element coil as a "backup" for mine but wanted to know if there are any bushing/spacers generally required when putting a different shock on. Or are they pretty much standard and I can just switch-and-go?
It depends. 5th Elements, if memory serves me right, came with spherical bearings, which makes them different than typical. Most shocks come with a half inch diameter eyelet; there are some which come with 12mm, or slightly smaller, those used to include Rock Shox and Manitou; Manitou may be the last holdout as my most recent Monarch has a half inch set of eyelets.

The Reigns typically come with Fox shocks, so half inch eyelets. The width of the shock is the same across the board, so it's the eyelet thing. If the 5th comes with a half inch eyelet, you should be fine. If it comes with spherical bearings, you'd need custom hardware, or, press out the bearing and press in a DU bushing.

_MK

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.