Thread: Superlight

mtbr member

Superlight

I'm considering a Santa Cruz Superlight from Colorado Cyclist. Anyone have any experience or opinions on the bike or experience buying a bike from Colorady Cyclist? I'm primarily looking at climbing; rides like Mt Falcon and Deer Creek.

The bike is more of a price-point bike ($1500) with mid to lower-end components but it would be an updgrade on my GT hardtail.

Would appreciate your opinions/recommendations.

Thanks -Tom

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Tom - I gotta tell you that I swear by my Superlight. I got mine in 2000 from the old Bike Werx, thanks Scott and Soren where did you go? Anyway, I ride mainly all Jeffco trails, try to do the WP race series and have done 24 Hrs of Moab twice. It is a blast, climbs like a champ and is still strong enough to take some good drops, probalby 3.5-4 feet is my highest, that's about all I need any more anyways. I am on a medium frame, I am 5'9'' and about 170 with Fox Float RLC 100 front and Fox RL rear, not sure about the size, maybe 3 inch? It was a $3500 set up at the time but I notice since they brought the Superlight back after taking it off the market for awhile it is less expensive, not sure why, of course componentry will make a difference but still I think the frame price is about $600 less. Like I said this bike climbs with ease, takes good hits, a lot of the fun is running really tight single track because you can move the bike so easily, often I just shift my weight a hair and it responds instantly. I rode my friends Blur once out of comparison and it was nice but I still hold tight to my Superlight, maybe because I put so much damn money in it! No problems with the frame, I did recently replace the bearings on the rear swing arm which I bent last season and probably have to get a new one. ($300 replacement and totally my fault) I have also upgraded the rear deraileur to XTR after the XT snaggled climbing Dakota Ridge. Basically I am telling you it has been great for me, you may get some posts against it but my luck has been good and especially now that the price is down, what a great buy on a good bike.

No experience with Colorado Cyclist but after the Bike Werx closed I get most of my servicing, gear and information on Santa Cruz from Denver Spoke.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by tnorris
    I'm considering a Santa Cruz Superlight from Colorado Cyclist. Anyone have any experience or opinions on the bike or experience buying a bike from Colorady Cyclist? I'm primarily looking at climbing; rides like Mt Falcon and Deer Creek.

The bike is more of a price-point bike ($1500) with mid to lower-end components but it would be an updgrade on my GT hardtail.

Would appreciate your opinions/recommendations.

Thanks -Tom
    They are great Colorado bikes. I bought a Heckler in 98 (the old style which became the Superlight) and did everything from race DH to epic 20+ mile rides on it. I bought my wife a Superlight in 02 and borrow it frequently. It climbs extremely well and descends better than most other "XC race" bikes I've ridden.

Pros:
    Cheap
    Strong (unless you are a clydesdale)
    Versitile

Cons:
    No replacable derailluer hanger (not a big deal for most people and you can helicoil if you have problems)
    Built a little light for an "all mountain" bike--I wouldn't expect it to hold up to repeated 3+ foot drops.

In terms of Colorado Cyclist, they are a good outfit. You might be able to do better price/tax wise by buying outside the state, but if you do buy from Cyclist, you can count on great customer service (or at least based on my retail experience at the store).

mutaullyassuredsuffering

If you want something more burley...

...the 'dale Rush is a similar bike, just a bit heavier. It has the same suspension design and 4" of travel.

I love the single pivot, so I think either bike is a wonderful choice. 4" seems to be enough on all the trails around here, yet you can still fly on XC stuff.

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    I'm still rock'n my Superlight since 2001. Just rode it at White Ranch yesterday, actually. As the previous posts suggest, it climbs and descends great. It is a single pivot design, but coming from a hardtail (like I did) you won't mind or notice the drawbacks inherent to that design. But don't worry about it! They key is it's a fun bike, a great bike and now they are VERY reasonably priced. And the deal you get from CO Cyclist is insane! $1500 for a complete bike?! FYI, I bought the frame only in 2001 for $1200. I have ridden my Superlight pretty much every where in CO and even beyond. It has handled a variety of terrain perfectly...I still love it!
    Biker? I don't even know her.

mtbr member
    I've had mine since 1999. Great bike for XC, but don't push it, I've cracked the rear triangle on it twice, and the front once. And I'm a small guy. But I did ride it like a freeride bike at times, so if you stay within the limits of XC you should be fine. If you are a big guy just get the Heckler, it will last longer.

Generic shock length, good for replacing. Also you can get an extra .5 to .75 inches of travel with a longer i2i shock. Never had a problem with the bearings, its a simple and easy to replace design. Derailleur hanger seemed easy to bend, at least on the 2001 model rear end.

And an anodized frame is the way to go on a Santa Cruz.
    All in all, I would buy another if I was interested in a new XC bike.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by bikecruz
    I've had mine since 1999. Great bike for XC, but don't push it, I've cracked the rear triangle on it twice, and the front once. And I'm a small guy. But I did ride it like a freeride bike at times, so if you stay within the limits of XC you should be fine. If you are a big guy just get the Heckler, it will last longer.
    Wasn't there a weight limit of 190 pounds on the early (late 90's) Superlights? That might be why yours was "fragile". I am pretty sure they removed the weight limit when they redesigned it in 02 with the new style rear triangle. Either they officially removed it, or they stopped advertising the weight limit. Regardless, the newer style rear triangle is supposed to be stiffer, more durable, and most importantly, more plush due to the falling rate for the last part of the travel (to counteract the progresivity of an air shock).

mtbr member
    All,

Thanks for all the great feedback! I went ahead and placed the order with CC. Stay tuned.

-Tom

Stupid and Dangerous
    I've got a 2001 with a new 2005 swingarm (almost mint), Large, ano orange built at 24lbs with some very nice componants (Miniute 2, XTR, Sram XO) that needs a good home. I'd let it go for around $1,500 (maybe less depending on included componants)...

if you're interrested give me a call 720-317-7779

Mason
    By the way, it says "BALLS" on yor face

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Hey guys
    I am actually the asst manager at the retail store for Colorado Cyclist.
    I see you already ordered the bike. But i was going to say id be more than happy to get ya set up on one. If you guys have any questions give me a call!!
    -Jordan
    jesus rides a fixed gear.