Cynical Bystander

Superfly Report!

Left about 8:30 yesterday morning with my dad. We got some McDonalds on the way up and I was pretty stoked for the whole day. We got up to the store around 10:30ish and being that my dad went to CSU we drove around and he showed me just about everything he could remember there... then we picked up a CSU jacket for my mom for Mother's Day, lol. Anyways, hooked up with Todd and Shawn for some gnarcore Sonics for lunch. Went back to the shop to find probably 30-40 people there by now and kinda scrambling to figure out what was going on. Then we kinda trickled out of the parking lot a bit after 12.

Arrived at the parking lot at Horsetooth Park at probably 12:30ish. Then we had to deal with the ranger lady there. At this point there was a TON of us and so she had to talk to Will and there seemed to be some elevated conversation about it being a group ride and how much the shop helps out the park. Spencer and I decided to just kinda start going up and a lot of other people did too, not sure how the thing resolved but we ended up being able to head off. WOW, there was almost an hour long hike to get to the starting point. Some beautiful scenery of the lake and forest area but man the trail getting there was STEEP!!! I probably should have taken my AC so that I could have ridden up instead of walked.

Once we got there it was sort of a ridge area that had some trees and what not. A million people were there with bikes ranging from high end downhill bikes to 15 year old singlespeed hardtails. They timed it by giving everybody a number as they went off and released somebody once a minute then recorded name/number and the time at the bottom. The course was a lot of fun but also tedious at the same time. For the most part it was really flowy singletrack with loose gravel. Some really fast sections and then a 75ft climb that was too steep to climb on a dh bike, lol, so most people go off and walked it. After that was a fast swooping section that was as wide as a fireroad with a few lines available in it. This is where my rear end slid out and I got the small battlescar on my arm. After that it had a few tight switchbacks and small sprinting sections and it was finished.

THEN there was the hike BACK to the parking lot! I didnt' really wanna do it at this point, being that I just sprinted my way through the course and my arm was covered in blood. It was probably a mile or two of some up and down stuff, mostly singletrack with large granite rocks on it and then some fun wooden railroad-tye steps that were a blast to do. After we finally made it back to the parking lot I learned that there was a total of almost 70 riders there! That has to be one of the biggest non-sanctioned non-permitted-illegal races ever!

After being able to cool down a bit at the car we drove over to Road34 house. That place is fricken insane!!! A million jumps everywhere, some awesome people throwin' it down. Anything from pimp gold bmx bikes to the new SC Jackal. It was all there. I caught sight of Lee McCormick on an EnduroSX I think as well as some other awesome riders. There was of course free redbull for those that wanted and a lot of kegs for those that wanted. Then 12 Cents for Marvin started playing and I have to say I was thoroughly impressed by them. Awesome band. Sadly I did have to leave at about 6, but I heard it was quite some night afterwards.

Was gonna post this earlier but I had to leave in the middle to go to Denver.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Cynical Bystander
    Kickass! I'm an e-celeb now!

http://leelikesbikes.com/Stories/050805/
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Professional Lurker
    I'm glad it was a success! Unfortunately I had to be in flat-land, windy hell (aka: Kansas) or else I'd have been there, too. I'm a CSU alumni and basically learned how to ride in Horsetooth Mtn Park, good to see everyone still suffers on the up, but pins it on the way down!

I just wish we had guys like Will and Willy to throw some grease onto the fire, and get scenes like these started! That is truely great stuff!
    I have no idea what I'm talking about...But yeah, that sounds about right.

eci
    it was a darn good time. For the most unorganized race it was better then any organized contest id been at

go big or go home
    Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    Kickass! I'm an e-celeb now!

haha ya tony i saw that pic...

yeah i barely made that corner...shoulda bled my back brake

o yeah you havent heard, i snapped my chainstay drifting into a rock at that race...probly explains why i kept feeling my back end fishing out to the right

here comes a another welding job...

edit: haha lookin at that pic again you need some bigger shin pads!
    Last edited by bentimby; 05-08-2005 at 10:09 PM.

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by bentimby
    haha ya tony i saw that pic...

yeah i barely made that corner...shoulda bled my back brake

o yeah you havent heard, i snapped my chainstay drifting into a rock at that race...probly explains why i kept feeling my back end fishing out to the right

here comes a another welding job...

edit: haha lookin at that pic again you need some bigger shin pads!
    Man that was a fun course but I was retarded and didn't lower my tire psi!!

That sucks balls that you just got that bike and you already snapped it. I'd be soo pissed if that happened to my bike.

More like I need some new-better shin pads that don't fall down when I pedal!
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

eci
    Here's a pic of me from up there. Thanks to Lee for it
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tame the Penguin!

So let me get this right.....

....you guys, organized by Road34, had a race event at HMP without the Park's permission?

Is that what I'm getting from your post?

go big or go home
    Quote Originally Posted by El Beastro
    ....you guys, organized by Road34, had a race event at HMP without the Park's permission?

yeah...and it was one hell of a good time

eci

It was an organized group ride. Their were no prizes awarded for the dh ride. It was meant to b a fun time. The dirt jump jam was def a contest and from what i heard it went off!

Cynical Bystander

As it says on lee's site, it was an "organized group xc ride with a timed descent"
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Tame the Penguin!
    As it says on lee's site, it was an "organized group xc ride with a timed descent"
    Can you point me to where on Lee's site the ride information is at? I just quickly looked and didn't see it.

eci
    the timed resuls are up at www.road34.com > events > 04 superfly race results.

Tony your time and my time are correct. The rest are off the wall. First off spencer got a 4.18 and shawn got a 3.50. So in all honesty it was fun
    Last edited by snowskilz; 05-09-2005 at 02:49 PM.

Rocket Scientist
    Can you point me to where on Lee's site the ride information is at? I just quickly looked and didn't see it.

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz
    the timed resuls are up at www.road34.com > events > 04 superfly race results.

Tony your time and my time are correct. The rest are off the wall. First off spencer got a 4.18 and shawn got a 3.50. So in all honesty it was fun and thats about it
    LOL. How'd everybody else's times get so far off?

It was definitely a blast though. I probably would have been a lot faster had I been smarter and let some air out of my tires (or changed them to non kujos )
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

eci
    LOL. How'd everybody else's times get so far off?

It was definitely a blast though. I probably would have been a lot faster had I been smarter and let some air out of my tires (or changed them to non kujos )
    well, the kid had 1 piece of paper a pen that didnt work properly and it started to rain. my guess is the ink ran and the times that could b made out were, the rest were guestimated. It was still a great time.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    well, the kid had 1 piece of paper a pen that didnt work properly and it started to rain. my guess is the ink ran and the times that could b made out were, the rest were guestimated. It was still a great time.
    What's up dude,
    This is Will with Road 34 bike shop and just so you know your guess would be very wrong. The times are accurate and everyone ( Save Matt that rolled off 57th) had a dead balls on time.
    Everything was bad ass all around and everyone seems to have had a great time. Thanks to everyone who came out and we'll see all of you soon at races and such.

Will Overbagh
    Road 34 Bike Shop
    www.road34.com

contains quinine

Seriously?

Some 70 people showed up to an advertised and organized event that happened to be held on Larmier County Open Space, doing timed runs down an open public trail?

I hope each and every person involved was super nice to every single trail user. Otherwise, it could provide more fodder to folks who'd like to see cyclists banned from trails.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

eci
    Quote Originally Posted by Road34
    What's up dude,
    This is Will with Road 34 bike shop and just so you know your guess would be very wrong. The times are accurate and everyone ( Save Matt that rolled off 57th) had a dead balls on time.
    Everything was bad ass all around and everyone seems to have had a great time. Thanks to everyone who came out and we'll see all of you soon at races and such.

Will Overbagh
    Road 34 Bike Shop
    www.road34.com

Will,
    i beg to differ i watched a few times to see how i faired and tony beat spencer, by what i thought was 10 seconds. tony was 55.08 and spencer was 56.18 so that means tony beat him by 10 seconds but when the results were tallied spencer was faster than all of us. Also Shawn went right before me his time was 52.50 mine was 54.00 that means he beat me by 10seconds. Well on the site it says he was at 3.57. i was just stating my observations not tryin to rag.

No doubt you threw a great frikin time. the timing was fun and thats all that matters. No points, no money, no prizes = no worries.

Anyways i tried callin the shop today and no one answered wondering if you guys would be willing to send 2 shirts to denver and how much the total would be.

Thanks

Todd

eci
    Quote Originally Posted by Debaser
    Some 70 people showed up to an advertised and organized event that happened to be held on Larmier County Open Space, doing timed runs down an open public trail?

I hope each and every person involved was super nice to every single trail user. Otherwise, it could provide more fodder to folks who'd like to see cyclists banned from trails.
    the trail we were no not a single other trail user would want to be on. To get their you had to take a horrible goat trail or a pretty hefty series of climbs

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by Road34
    What's up dude,

Will Overbagh
    Road 34 Bike Shop
    www.road34.com
    Will it was cool meeting you guys. That was funny the first thing you said to me when I introduced myself was "Oh yea you're the guy that posts all the time huh?" lol. The race was fun as hell as was the jump jam. Maybe in a year or so I'll be good enough to lose at the jump jam.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Cynical Bystander
    the trail we were no not a single other trail user would want to be on. To get their you had to take a horrible goat trail or a pretty hefty series of climbs
    Plus riders were released once every minute and most sections were wide enough to where you could see what was coming up (except the climb) so there would have easily been space to move out of the way.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

contains quinine

Huh.

From what I caught before this post, I thought this was a dh race. A dh race held on county open space, without their permission, would seem to be a bad idea.

I'm going up to the Superfly dh race in Fort Collins on that Saturday but don't really have plans for Sunday.(building on my property 5/7 and 5/8)
    If I were to imagine 70 horses on one trail in rapid succession, going as fast as possbile, I'd imagine a lot of trail damage, and some upset trail users.
    Last edited by Debaser; 05-09-2005 at 03:27 PM.

Cynical Bystander
    From what I caught before this post, I thought this was a dh race. A dh race held on county open space, without their permission, would seem to be a bad idea.

If I were to imagine 70 horses on one trail in rapid succession, going as fast as possbile, I'd imagine a lot of trail damage, and some upset trail users.
    race is a lot simpler to type than "group cross country ride with timed descent".
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Buckle Up
    Here's a pic of me from up there. Thanks to Lee for it
    I didn't see that picture on Lee's site. Did you email him and ask for it?
    <><

eci
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieMan
    I didn't see that picture on Lee's site. Did you email him and ask for it?
    yeah, hes a real cool dood took him a few hours to get back to me. Make sure you describe what you looked for or you prolly wont get anything back.

Stand back

well, obviously

Everyone knows 70 x 1000 (or however many) pounds will do more damage than 70 x 170 pounds. Simple physics...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

FleshwoundGravityResearch
    That is NOT true. There are several ways to get to Stout (we ride up it) and I have seen horses and hikers on it. You were just lucky you didn't see anyone else. We knew about this "non-sanctioned non-permitted-illegal race" so went early enough to be off the mtn by 12:30 just so we would miss this "event".
    Also, the trail damage from 70 guys going down (rapidly) cannot be neglible.

So, since road34 does so much for the park, when is the trail maintenance day to work on Stout?

Beer
    Quote Originally Posted by mtn hack
    That is NOT true. There are several ways to get to Stout (we ride up it) and I have seen horses and hikers on it. You were just lucky you didn't see anyone else. We knew about this "non-sanctioned non-permitted-illegal race" so went early enough to be off the mtn by 12:30 just so we would miss this "event".

So, since road34 does so much for the park, when is the trail maintenance day to work on Stout?
    With 68 volunteers, you guys should be able to handle it easily

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Endo King
    With 68 volunteers, you guys should be able to handle it easily
    Ok Ok, let's take it easy.
    This is Will with Road 34 Bike Shop, the entire day was a blast including the DH ride. I would like to say that we approached the DH ride a bit wrong. I've spoken with the parks services and straitened out where exactly we messed up and we'll have that remedied next time. Sorry for any inconvenience to other riders, hikers, horseback riders out there. We all do our best to have fun with the riding whilst respecting others. This one was a bit over the top and I personally apologize to anyone adversely affected. We all do our part to keep up on trail maintenance as well, Road 34 works with the parks service, Diamond Peaks and others to make sure we all have kick-ass places to ride for years to come. Again thanks to everyone for the good times, we'll see you guys soon. Oh yeah, Kona and Yeti demo at Horsetooth Mtn. Park tomorrow (5/11) from 3p.m. - dark. Full fleets from both companies to demo for free.
    -Will Overbagh
    Road 34 Bike Shop
    www.road34.com

go big or go home
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn Hack

we're all riders here arent we?

it doesnt matter whether it was a race or an organized ride: it was 68 bikers riding down a trail, everyone paid for their passes and thats what goes into maintaining the trail. Every time i ride trails around here, i ride like im racing, you wanna shift the blame to me? Sure I destroy the trails, but the passes i buy make up for it..
    Last edited by bentimby; 05-11-2005 at 10:05 AM.

slow

Stout Trail

I beg to differ with Snowskilz:

snowskilz: "the trail we were no not a single other trail user would want to be on. To get their you had to take a horrible goat trail or a pretty hefty series of climbs"

I use that trail all of the time going both up and down. I too planned my ride so that I was out of the park well before the event on Saturday. I agree that this was handled poorly, but Will is apparently working on a better way to do things next time.

We climbed Stout last night and I was pleasantly surprised at how well the trail held up under the weekend use. There were some areas that were a bit beat up, quite a bit of loose rock on some of the steep parts, and you could tell that a couple of corners had been blown, but overall, the evidence of an event was minimal. I only found one beer can and cannot direcctly attribute this to the "XC group ride with a timed descent".

Thanks Will and Road 34 for putting on events that promote our sport. Next time, however, please follow proper channels so we don't jeapordize our trail access.

my 2 cents

Beer

Good job! Will and Rd 34

right on dude, I totally respect your response. You owned up to some of the mistakes and showed that you are being responsible in the mtbiking community and helping to promote it. Lead by example.

Fu

we're all riders here arent we?

it doesnt matter whether it was a race or an organized ride: it was 68 bikers riding down a trail, everyone paid for their passes and thats what goes into maintaining the trail. Every time i ride trails around here, i ride like im racing, you wanna shift the blame to me? Sure I destroy the trails, but the passes i buy make up for it..
    bentimby
    go big or go home

dude wtf
    man wtf is your problem? raggin on r34 and their use of the trails? who gives a ****, it was a fun time. you and all you snobbyass xc friends can kiss my ass.

This is the PM I just got from bentweeny. What's up coward? Can't post here? It's jackasses like you with your shty attitude that gets trails closed. I was satisfied with Will's explanation and appology. My initial concern was mostly with the upset ranger and any other trail users that may have been negatively affected. I appreciate Road34 taking the initiative to plan something, after all there is really nothing else besides the Beaver Meadows races. Hell, I've always wanted to help organize a HTMP stage race myself. It's a kickass park for it.

But there always has to be someone like you who does nothing positive for the sport.. Let's see your name on a volunteer list for trail maintenance, since you are so into trashing trails. Give something back instead of calling other bikers names. I mean come on, what are you a teenager?

Cynical Bystander
    bentimby
    go big or go home

dude wtf
    man wtf is your problem? raggin on r34 and their use of the trails? who gives a ****, it was a fun time. you and all you snobbyass xc friends can kiss my ass.

This is the PM I just got from bentweeny. What's up coward? Can't post here? It's jackasses like you with your shty attitude that gets trails closed. I was satisfied with Will's explanation and appology. My initial concern was mostly with the upset ranger and any other trail users that may have been negatively affected. I appreciate Road34 taking the initiative to plan something, after all there is really nothing else besides the Beaver Meadows races. Hell, I've always wanted to help organize a HTMP stage race myself. It's a kickass park for it.

But there always has to be someone like you who does nothing positive for the sport.. Let's see your name on a volunteer list for trail maintenance, since you are so into trashing trails. Give something back instead of calling other bikers names. I mean come on, what are you a teenager?
    heehee, he is a teenager.

What'd be awesome is a stage race starting at the parking lot, going up the huge trail that we took to get over to Stout, coming down Stout, and then the trail that comes back to the parking lot. That would get the best of both xc and dh. :drool: Of course, it would have to be done right though...
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

mtbr member

I Think We're all missing the point.

The idea of the day was to have fun. Nothing else. Everyone was included and it was free, except for the parks pass. Everybody should have come to the dirt jump jam also because it was freakin awesome.

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by CSU Drunk
    The idea of the day was to have fun. Nothing else. Everyone was included and it was free, except for the parks pass. Everybody should have come to the dirt jump jam also because it was freakin awesome.
    Yeah it was!
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by CSU Drunk

When I read about the de facto race, I had assumed that it was fully legal, and I was really stoked to see an outlet on the front range for dhing and freeriding. It turns out that I was wrong.

The issue I have with the race is that it wasn't ok'd with the land management staff, Larimer County Open Space, and likely broke several park regulations. Larmier county is talking about closing down some of the trails at Devil's Backbone to bikes, at least partially due to complaints from other users. What's to keep them from starting to close trails at Horsetooth to bikes, especially if there are 70 bike riders in a group aggravating hikers and horses? Not much!

Mountain bikers are the first group to be discriminated against when it comes to county open space rules on the front range. Larimer, Jeffco, and Boulder County have all closed or limited trail access to cyclists, or are planning to. Each time a trail is closed, we're cited as the "bad guys" out there. Seems that we have a reputation for upsetting the other trail users enough that they post complaints and organize against cyclists. We need to band together and work towards keeping trails open and opening more trails for our use.

Join IMBA, BOA, and whatever other organization you can that lobbys to keep our trails open. Be active on trail days. Be conciderate towards other trail users. Don't engage in activities that can tarnish our image!

Cynical Bystander
    When I read about the de facto race, I had assumed that it was fully legal, and I was really stoked to see an outlet on the front range for dhing and freeriding. It turns out that I was wrong.

The issue I have with the race is that it wasn't ok'd with the land management staff, Larimer County Open Space, and likely broke several park regulations. Larmier county is talking about closing down some of the trails at Devil's Backbone to bikes, at least partially due to complaints from other users. What's to keep them from starting to close trails at Horsetooth to bikes, especially if there are 70 bike riders in a group aggravating hikers and horses? Not much!

Mountain bikers are the first group to be discriminated against when it comes to county open space rules on the front range. Larimer, Jeffco, and Boulder County have all closed or limited trail access to cyclists, or are planning to. Each time a trail is closed, we're cited as the "bad guys" out there. Seems that we have a reputation for upsetting the other trail users enough that they post complaints and organize against cyclists. We need to band together and work towards keeping trails open and opening more trails for our use.

Join IMBA, BOA, and whatever other organization you can that lobbys to keep our trails open. Be active on trail days. Be conciderate towards other trail users. Don't engage in activities that can tarnish our image!
    While we were going to the main area we encountered a few hikers and horses. From the people I was around most people offered the horses to go past them and had pulled to the side of the trails. It seems that everybody was very polite and friendly all around from hikers-bikers-horses.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

no direction in life
    Sep 2004
    While we were going to the main area we encountered a few hikers and horses. From the people I was around most people offered the horses to go past them and had pulled to the side of the trails. It seems that everybody was very polite and friendly all around from hikers-bikers-horses.
    For sure. Lee was leading the hike up the hill (I was only a few behind him), and he (along with most of us) was very courteous to every hiker/horseback rider we encountered along the way. I don't think anyone we saw could have held a grudge against us. As for the DH aspect, I do not beleive there were any hikers on the trail when we all decended, so no one got run off of the path or anything like that.

And bentimby - you're not a good enough rider to be such an @sshole, saying things like "i tear up the trail and I don't care". I saw you ride, trust me. And even if you were a ripper, being a dick is not the way to get your opinion across

mtbr member

I don't know about any park regulation being broken, but that doesnt mean they weren't. I'm just think that it will all be okay becuase this only happens twice a year. So maybe next year we will take the north service road up and try to avoit the horses and hikers that done typically go that far up the mountian. I think it a good thing that bring riders from all over the community together and seeing how its there is no entry fee it would not really be possible to pay people to let us use the park.

Sorry about all this i just think that people are taking this a little to seriously. It was supposed to be fun and people are going to ruin it by complaining.

go big or go home
    Hell, I've always wanted to help organize a HTMP stage race myself. It's a kickass park for it.
    We knew about this "non-sanctioned non-permitted-illegal race" so went early enough to be off the mtn by 12:30 just so we would miss this "event".

go big or go home
    Quote Originally Posted by big_johnson
    And bentimby - you're not a good enough rider to be such an @sshole, saying things like "i tear up the trail and I don't care". I saw you ride, trust me. And even if you were a ripper, being a dick is not the way to get your opinion across
    im not saying im tearing the trails, im just making a point

Cynical Bystander
    Just drop it please ben....
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

mtbr member

debaser is totally right guys. the road 34 event at the house was a neat thing but the group ride timed descent was a DUMB idea (to do illegally. next time call a race promoter if ya cant figure out the logistics/legalities). the dh/freeriders posting/lurking here still have no idea that their actions cause trail closures. gold hill, idaho spgs, etc. and i thought lee would have learned his lesson after he retracted his idaho spgs story. but no his lead story yesterday had a cover shot of the race.
    it seems like we will never get what we want because our stupidity grows with each failure. i mean jeez there ware race results posted here!!! the only reason this event was not a total catastrophy was it happened in fc and not the west metro area.
    Divide Bike Bags

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mtn hack

Hell, I've always wanted to help organize a HTMP stage race myself. It's a kickass park for it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mtn hack
    We knew about this "non-sanctioned non-permitted-illegal race" so went early enough to be off the mtn by 12:30 just so we would miss this "event".

Apparently you don't know what a stage race is, nor the difference between a legal organized event and what went on Sat.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Wow, I hadn't paid any attention to this thread until this morning.

I don't want to hash this all up again, but I think its being a bit naive to think that this event (race/organized group ride with timed descent) had no impact on how mountain bikers are seen by the community.

Take this quote from the initial post:
    Then we had to deal with the ranger lady there. At this point there was a TON of us and so she had to talk to Will and there seemed to be some elevated conversation about it being a group ride and how much the shop helps out the park.
    This alone is a bad thing in my opinion. Like other people have mentioned, Larimer County Open Space has already pulled the plug on mountain bikes at Devil's Backbone without any noteable incidents that we could find out about.

If I was at Horsetooth and saw this event happening would I be or left feeling anti-mtb? No.

From the descriptions/pictures of the event, do I think others in the park that day might have? Probably.

mtbr member
    now that everyone is flustered, go watch this to calm down haha. Trail usage, permits, enviromental impact, bla bla bla oh my god bar spin to wallride to tailwhip out, WHAT?

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by abhollow
    now that everyone is flustered, go watch this to calm down haha.
    Trail work days (like the one in the aforementioned Larimer County on Saturday) are an even better way to work out the problems of the world.

Hope to see some of you guys out there.
    Last edited by Jdub; 05-12-2005 at 08:26 AM.

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub

If I was at Horsetooth and saw this event happening would I be or left feeling anti-mtb? No.

From the descriptions/pictures of the event, do I think others in the park that day might have? Probably.
    from http://leelikesbikes.com/Stories/050805/

"Everyone met at the shop then drove to the trailhead in a local open space park. The parking lot contained a lot of hikers and one concerned looking ranger. This was seeming like a bad idea. Some bozos actually asked the ranger where the "downhill race" was. Stupid!"

From their own description, sounds like a less than positive impression was left.

Sure I destroy the trails,...
    Volunteer

count me in
    bentimby, way to step up. I'll see you there Saturday, I am one of the trail crew leaders.