Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Super D - Mountain States Cup?

I've been considering coming out of "retirement" to race the new Super D format. More specifically I'd like to know what I would be getting myself into. There are five scheduled events in 2005 in the Mountain States Cup - Angel Fire, Crested Butte, Telluride, Snowmass, and Keystone.

Can anyone shed some light as to the types of courses, the most effective type of mountain bike, how long the races are, etc? I'd be especially interested in what the Keystone venue might be like.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by poppywilly
    I've been considering coming out of "retirement" to race the new Super D format. More specifically I'd like to know what I would be getting myself into. There are five scheduled events in 2005 in the Mountain States Cup - Angel Fire, Crested Butte, Telluride, Snowmass, and Keystone.

Can anyone shed some light as to the types of courses, the most effective type of mountain bike, how long the races are, etc? I'd be especially interested in what the Keystone venue might be like.
    I haven't heard a whole lot about it, but the MSC website says that courses will be a minimum of 10 minues.

FleshwoundGravityResearch

Well,

since it is brand new, I don't imagine anyone will know these things. You can guess based on other super-d's around the country, but ....

locked - time out
    The impression that I got in the little reading I've done is that they will generally be courses taking 10 - 20 minutes to complete, which will not be as technical as actual DH courses. It looks like something along the lines of a 5 - 6" trailbike might be just the ticket - as it is downhill, of course, but may also involve some climbing - sounds like great fun to me.

Cynical Bystander
    Super-D actually started last season but was only out in Cali at the big national races. From what I've heard and what I've read from people that have done it, it is pretty much a mix of xc and dh like it is stated. With huge fast open sections as well as some slightly technical sections but from what people have said its nothing that you'd ever need a big bike on at all. It'll be interesting to see what they do. I think it'd be fun.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Card Carrying Member
    From what I've read, the courses are an up/down mix and ~10 minutes or so with technical content. I wouldn't exactly count on them being real technical, but we can hope. From what I've gathered from the Cali event pics, a trailbike is the steed of choice. I'll be racing all of the SDH races that I can get to and I'll be doing them on my Chameleon with a Z1.

I predict that this is a class that is going to spawn a lot of interest among trail riders and some WICKED competition in the MSC. There are an assload of amazing trail riders right here on the FR, so I'm thinking things are going to be exciting. I'm looking forward to racing with friends and pushing my fitness level a bit this year.

FleshwoundGravityResearch

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by kitchenware
    From what I've read, the courses are an up/down mix and ~10 minutes or so with technical content. I wouldn't exactly count on them being real technical, but we can hope. From what I've gathered from the Cali event pics, a trailbike is the steed of choice. I'll be racing all of the SDH races that I can get to and I'll be doing them on my Chameleon with a Z1.

I predict that this is a class that is going to spawn a lot of interest among trail riders and some WICKED competition in the MSC. There are an assload of amazing trail riders right here on the FR, so I'm thinking things are going to be exciting. I'm looking forward to racing with friends and pushing my fitness level a bit this year.
    So you are going to race XC this year?

Card Carrying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtn hack
    So you are going to race XC this year?
    SDH and DH. No plans to race XC, but that's not saying I couldn't if I got a wild hair.

mtbr member

yup

I love winter, but I'm already dreaming of racing this summer. This is the first I've read of Super D, but sounds pretty sweet.

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by kitchenware
    I'm getting all teary eyed just thinking about it.

BIKES!!!!
    Mar 2004
    I cant wait to race super D
    It seems like the cross country racers do better than Downhillers
    so you can count on pedaling. A lot

jl
    climb
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbkid
    I cant wait to race super D
    It seems like the cross country racers do better than Downhillers
    so you can count on pedaling. A lot
    Seriously, how much pedaling can you do in 20 minutes going mainly downhill. 20 minutes isn't even a good time trial...
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jl
    Seriously, how much pedaling can you do in 20 minutes going mainly downhill. 20 minutes isn't even a good time trial...
    Probably quite a bit, especially in a race setting.

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by DanD
    Probably quite a bit, especially in a race setting.
    And when they consider about 10 minutes to be probably an average time, not necessarily the fastest but probably requiring more effort than most are expecting.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

screw road bikes

a boat load if you want to win....lets think about this..

1) You're going to be maxed (waaaay above your anaerobic threshold).
    2) It's for around 20 freakin minutes...I don't know many(if any) that can all out sprint for 20 minutes.

For those of you who already race DH out here, you know what its like, you're pedalling (most likely) at every opportunity, not just when the trail turns up for those god-aweful 100 yards.

just my 2 cents...i highly doubt anyone cares....at all.

-the cheez
    Full Tilt Cyclery
    GT Bicycles
    Oakley
    Sram and Co.
    Fox
    Go Fast
    MAXXIS

I

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    seriously, I'm probably going to stick to the classic downhill unless I end up with a light short travel bike. I don't know about going all out for 20 minutes on my downhill bike

screw road bikes
    seriously, I'm probably going to stick to the classic downhill unless I end up with a light short travel bike. I don't know about going all out for 20 minutes on my downhill bike
    Yea, word....it's not worth the suffering on the full squisher. I'd rather put the money towards real suffering anyway....mmmmm. XC racing!
    Full Tilt Cyclery
    GT Bicycles
    Oakley
    Sram and Co.
    Fox
    Go Fast
    MAXXIS

I

jl
    climb
    Seriously, anyone here ever done a real time trial. It's 30-60 minutes of as-hard-as-you-can-possibly-pedal pedalling--no coasting... How about a criterium?

This sounds tough (dont' get me wrong) I might even try it. But as for 'a lot' of pedalling, it's not. It might be hard pedaling, but it's not 'a lot' of pedaling. It's only 20 minutes. That's like saying a 5K is 'a lot' of running
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Seriously, anyone here ever done a real time trial. It's 30-60 minutes of as-hard-as-you-can-possibly-pedal pedalling--no coasting... How about a criterium?

This sounds tough (dont' get me wrong) I might even try it. But as for 'a lot' of pedalling, it's not. It might be hard pedaling, but it's not 'a lot' of pedaling. It's only 20 minutes. That's like saying a 5K is 'a lot' of running
    we are talking about pedalling as it relates to downhill, a logical relation. You are talking about pedaling as it relates to a criterium, its an apples and oranges comparison

Hairshirt Rider
    I'll be parking my ass at Carnage Point with a cow bell, camera, and frosty beverage making sure you all are giving 100%.

For you guys...

"Get up and ride you ninny - it's only a flesh wound!!"

"Quitters don't get beer!!"

For the competition

"Nice bike! They make that in a boy's color!"

I think what they really need is combined two day GC award for SS XC and Super D - then I might part with my hard earned cash and enter a race again.

Cynical Bystander
    we are talking about pedalling as it relates to downhill, a logical relation. You are talking about pedaling as it relates to a criterium, its an apples and oranges comparison
    Not to mention the different bike setups, mountain bikes have tighter gearing and aren't geared for such long distance high speed rides (in general) I mean you aren't gonna find a 52t ring on a mountain bike or anything like that. (yes i know they have time trials and stuff in mountain bikes too, I'm just saying yea)

Like Danny said, completely different.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

screw road bikes

Yes actually....and the time trial is as hard-as-you-can-so-long-as-you;re-within-your-aneaerobic threshold-hard.

While the crit is really more of a ride slow-in-a-big-circle-until-the-last-10-minutes-and-go-real-fast-for-these-ten-minutes.

While a gravity/super D event will be something closer too a ohmygod-im-going-to-puke-with-exhaustion-because-my-heart-is-about-to-explode-like-a-sausage-in-a-microwave-hard for a shortish amount of time
    Full Tilt Cyclery
    GT Bicycles
    Oakley
    Sram and Co.
    Fox
    Go Fast
    MAXXIS

I

locked - time out
    Written like someone who's never raced a 45 minute CX race before Not like they're going to be long races, but you can pack plenty of hurting into 20 minutes.

dwj
    mtbr member
    i rode the super-d course at the durango natioals when warming up for the dh. it was mostly downhill non-technical, but some fast rocky fire rode sections, some short uphills and a few flat sections. the guy at the start house said Ned usually wins the local races they have there. check the durango race results to see how long the course was.

a 4- 5" travel bike with some 2.35 tires would probably be good for most courses.
    Last edited by dwj; 01-08-2005 at 09:40 AM.

dwj
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudpawlz
    I think what they really need is combined two day GC award for SS XC and Super D - then I might part with my hard earned cash and enter a race again.
    make it so you have to ride the same bike in both races and ban suspension. fully ridged singlespeed, xc/super-d stage race. old, old school all the way. i'm in!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast