Thread: Sunscreen?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Sunscreen?

I know, I know . . . not the sexiest thread, like best beer or biggest huck or front range tire recommendations, but what the hell.

I have mountain biked for years but last year bought a road bike (I know, not this forum) and now find myself occasionally on long training rides (3+ hours). I am an idiot and signed up for the Triple Bypass just to get in shape for mt. biking. It's worked since I have lost 20lbs and am riding great. But . . .

I was wondering if there is any particular sunscreen that stays on/active for longer rides and is less prone to dripping in my eyes (I am a shaved-head baldy and cannot, no matter what type of headband I buy, keep sweat out of my right eye). I am a melanoma survivor, so sunscreen is not an option as much as a religion. I have been using Coppertone Sport spray at 30 and 50spf, depending, and it has worked out ok so far, but just curious if there is some secret brand--you know, the fancy bottle, extra expensive, Italian-imported kind--that all the cool kids use. Or is my typical kind is good enough.

Any thoughts?
    Cheers.
    "Fair is foul and foul is fair." from Macbeth

Your bike is incorrigible
    Water Babies 50spf seems to last even on the sweatiest of rides. It's the only stuff I'll use since it was ranked number one for sunscreen a couple years ago. Plus, it's cheap.

<100%
    I have fair skin but not as concerned mild burns as you but when I need it for a long time and don't plan to reapply I use Badger 30+. It's 18.75% ZO, no other chemicals. Takes a while to rub it but I have not burned.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    What's the best sunscreen for the Front Range.

I like it...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks guys. I'll look for those and give em a shot.

Coming next week: "What's the best chamois butter for the Front Range!" jk

Rolling
    I found my arms get the most sun and for that I go with Pearl Izumi sun arms. I use a little cheap brand sunscreen on the neck.

Special Purpose
    Oct 2009
    As a sweaty bald guy with melanoma in the family, sunscreen is important to me.

Most sunscreens stink like bubble gum, take forever to rub in, leave a white haze to your skin, and sting the eyes like crazy when your forehead sweats.

I've tried them all, and Rocky Mountain sunscreen is the only one I'll use.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I just use Banana Boat Sport SPF 50. I have always had sweat in the eyes problems no matter what sun lotion I used.

Have you tried a cycling cap rather than a headband? I use a Headsweats brand "SpinCycle" cap. It lets the sweat drip off the tip of the brim rather than down your face, and it breathes way better than the typical cotton style cycling cap. I, honestly, can't even ride without a cap under my helmet now.

mtbr member
    Don't put sunscreen above your eyes. I've been doing this for years and never get burned on my head or forehead, or stinging nano-particles in the eyes. For you bald guys, get some sort of skull cap, or a cycling cap to protect your noggin'. You already know the sunscreen is going to run, so why put it in the places you don't need it?

That said: the badger is good stuff. I also use Alba Botanica Sport sunblock in 45spf. I've gone of 8+ hour rides and not needed a reapply.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebelman View Post
    Thanks guys. I'll look for those and give em a shot.

Coming next week: "What's the best chamois butter for the Front Range!" jk
    DZ Nuts of course!
    Feels like an Arby's night.

mtbr member
    Save the money and make your own: shea butter + essential oils = cheap chamois cream.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbie View Post
    Save the money and make your own: shea butter + essential oils = cheap chamois cream.
    Careful with the essential oils as some people (myself included) get irritation from them, definitely wouldnt want it on my chamois area. How does that wash out of the chamois itself? GF uses shea butter as natural moisturizer and sunscreen (it's SPF 10-15 IIRC).

I normally use Bullfrog if I'm out for a few hours. It lasts for a really long time and is incredibly sweat/water resistant but can only be applied to dry skin, is really really messy to apply on sweaty skin.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    Careful with the essential oils as some people (myself included) get irritation from them, definitely wouldnt want it on my chamois area. How does that wash out of the chamois itself? GF uses shea butter as natural moisturizer and sunscreen (it's SPF 10-15 IIRC).
    As always, test a small amount to see if there is irritation. If a reaction occurs, just use plain shea butter. Before washing, I wet the chamois and work in some liquid detergent; then, wash as directed.

Also, shea butter makes a great base for embrocations and wound dressings. For embrocations, I mix in a bit of camphor oil or capsicum oil. As for wounds, I make a poultice with calendula leaves and mix with shea: works great for burns, cuts, insect stings, etc.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Neutragena Ultra Sheer spray. It has the helioplex proprietary blend of newer active ingredients. Not greasy, lasts all day even riding in the desert mountains here in San Diego. I also work on sportfishing boats here and spend 12 hour days in the sun on the water and all of the crews use the Neutragena. I'm a pasty white Irish kids so I absolutely have to have good sunscreen. I don't tan, I just have varying shades of pink with freckles mixed in...

Awesomist™

Sunscreen?

Quote Originally Posted by 309 View Post
    I've tried them all, and Rocky Mountain sunscreen is the only one I'll use.
    ^^^This. My gal and I just bought a quart pump bottle from an online discount drugstore/pharmacy and it was reasonably priced. Just rode the Kokopelli trail (3 days straight of averaging 10 hours each in the sun on the bike) with one application in the morning and I was good all day. SPF 30, even. Sunscreen = serious business. Especially if you have visible tattoos you'd like to keep decent looking, or you're bald.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker View Post
    ^^^This. My gal and I just bought a quart pump bottle from an online discount drugstore/pharmacy and it was reasonably priced. Just rode the Kokopelli trail (3 days straight of averaging 10 hours each in the sun on the bike) with one application in the morning and I was good all day. SPF 30, even. Sunscreen = serious business. Especially if you have visible tattoos you'd like to keep decent looking, or you're bald.

Whut?

Name:  269676-5-year-old-at-tanning-salon.jpg
Views: 968
Size:  19.3 KB

Goofing off?
    How about the sunblock sticks that look like gluestick? They seem to be very stable from drips, ect..

Kaj
    mtbr member
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Oh, whatever you end up using, the most important thing is when you apply it. Do it when your skin is dry and clean. I put sunscreen on before I even leave the house. It's part of my morning routine after brushing my teeth...

mtbr member
    The badger stuff is pricey but worth it

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I like the sound of a quart pump bottle (was that listed on the Clymb a few weeks ago? I saw large bottles of some sunscreen on there but didn't know if it was any good or not). And if it's called Rocky Mountain even better--matches my bike! I will check out Badger too. Thanks guys.

And I know about applying when dry--especially spray kind. That Bullfrog turns to white slime on skin that's already sweaty.

I have taken to wearing a bandana under my helmet rather than screening the head, and it works better than a headsweats band or Halo band for sweat. But on really long rides, or heavy climbing rides, even it gets so soaked that it leaks, and always in my right eye (anyone else have a lopsided head that only sweats into one eye?). I will try the cap and see if it works better. Being blinded in my dominant eye while descending is, well, not good.

And I was really only joking about the chamois cream, but a homemade recipe might be fun to try.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I grew up playing competitive tennis. I would spend some monster 6-8 hour days training in Hilton Head, SC with extreme humidity and high temps. Pure Zinc Oxide was about the only thing that worked for me at the time. Its the stuff that leaves the white streaks where you put it (think 80s lifeguard).

Zinc Oxide is to Sunscreen as 100% DEET is to bug spray. Each only necessary in limited circumstances.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka View Post
    Water Babies 50spf seems to last even on the sweatiest of rides. It's the only stuff I'll use since it was ranked number one for sunscreen a couple years ago. Plus, it's cheap.
    +1. My wife worked in Mohs Surgery(skin cancer removal). The surgeon she worked with wouldn't use anything else.

mtbr member
    We've had good luck with Coppertone Sport. Various SPF levels available. As everyone said, apply to dry skin and apply liberally.

I need to look into this Rocky Mountain Sunscreen

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I found Banana Boat makes Natural Reflect for kids with titiaum dioxide and zinc oxcide
    goes on white works very well. I've used Rocky Mtn Sunscreen also,I like the way it applies even the spf 50. You can find it at King Soopers.

-Dave