Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Sunday Crosier Snow Ride (11/21)

1K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  ignazjr 
#1 ·
We should try to get an early start (leave the lowlands around 9 or earlier) we could meet in Lyons or Larry's shop (Loveland) depending on who is coming.

This should be a fun ride w/ nobody on the trail.

#2 ·
EricTheRed said:
We should try to get an early start (leave the lowlands around 9 or earlier) we could meet in Lyons or Larry's shop (Loveland) depending on who is coming.

This should be a fun ride w/ nobody on the trail.
Eric, I've never ridden there so what's the story on this ride? Would this be a shuttle?

#3 ·
DWF said:
Eric, I've never ridden there so what's the story on this ride? Would this be a shuttle?
I don't know ETR's plan, but it can be ridden as a shuttle or a loop. Think "point to point," though, not shuttle. No matter how you do it, there's plenty of steep climbing involved. Fun ride!

#4 ·
Most likely a shuttle (point to point)

as Ignaz said, i did it as a loop two weekends a go and it took about 4 hours (low 40# bike, with platform pedals).

I'd expect some of the climbs to be difficult if there is any notable snow fall. The views are great, though i don't know what all one can see from the trail. The descending can be a mix of fast smooth meadows to much more difficult (all is walkable and in the snow we might be doing a bit of that). The climbing is usually non-technical but some can get steep an loose. I would expect very few people on trail (i saw 1 biker and 3 hikers the last time i was there and the weather was perfect). If conditions are good i'd like to climb to the top of Crosier and have lunch take some pics etc.

#6 ·
The Squeaky Wheel said:
Would love to join in, but can't make it Sunday.
Haven't been up Crosier since early/mid October during color change and it was gorgeous.
Looks like the weekend might be wet & white. Should be an interesting descent.
I'd be willing to do another highish elevation ride on Sat, maybe lion's gultch but i'd be open to suggestions as there are many gulches on the FR that i havn't done.

#7 ·
EricTheRed said:
I'd be willing to do another highish elevation ride on Sat, maybe lion's gultch but i'd be open to suggestions as there are many gulches on the FR that i havn't done.
ETR-My Heckler is out of commission with the 5t element at Progressive. I did however get the Hardtail going if you are up for some urban and dirt jumps on Saturday. Oh yeah the Stance Flow arrived yesterday! :)

#11 ·
The Hookler said:
ETR-My Heckler is out of commission with the 5t element at Progressive. I did however get the Hardtail going if you are up for some urban and dirt jumps on Saturday. Oh yeah the Stance Flow arrived yesterday! :)
too bad about the 5th, if its snowing i think urban and dj will be out. If not i'll call you.

#12 ·
Migz,
been doing some early night rides down at "low" elevation lately due to time constraints.

Let me know if you're up for an ewok adventure next tuesday. Weds is a half day then I'm off to Vail for the weekend.

Unfortunately I'm on-call this weekend and need to remain in cell range which means Crosier is out so I'll be spending my time likely down at the Bone.

jamie

#13 · (Edited)
sunday plans crushed...

EricTheRed said:
To migz and scrub:
What time is best for you and what is an ideal meeting spot?
...for me w/ family plans of sponge bob square pants, and wife going shopping.Ok, so I'm looking foward to sponge bob movie too:) Anyhow, I'm going riding tomorrow morning if anybody wants to meet up . Plan on meeting at Mtn.High in Loveland about 9am .Plan is something fun and dog friendly in natl forrest. Squeek- I'm not riding next tues eve(school funct.), but will on thur eve. I'll prob do a nooner or two at bone too if you want to meet up. Have a good weekend all!

#15 ·
doh

jl said:
Migz,

Sorry I missed this weeks rides. Everyone is travelling. BTW, next thursday is thanksgiving :)... Still riding?
how could i forget thanksgiving- the best holiday of the year! I'll be doing a early morning ride on thursday- it's tradition for me to earn my bird:) Prob meet up about 8am in Lyons w/ few folks for early tukey day ride if anyone wants to join

#17 ·
front range migz said:
how could i forget thanksgiving- the best holiday of the year! I'll be doing a early morning ride on thursday- it's tradition for me to earn my bird:) Prob meet up about 8am in Lyons w/ few folks for early tukey day ride if anyone wants to join
Earlier the better. I just may be able to swing that! You riding with some of the local cats?

#21 ·
EricTheRed said:
All interested in the Sunday ride raise your hands.
I'd love to go, I desperately need the punishment, but I'm committed on Palmer Park on Sat and a local AM ride on Sunday followed by house & shop winterizing and multiple honey-dos.

#23 ·
scrublover said:
I'm out. The Peyto is torn down while awaiting new parts from Larry.

Anyone want to hit the backbone or Hall? I have the SS going....... not really wanting to slip/slide in 20degrees at Crosier on SS. Yeah, I'm a weenie.
I went through all that trouble to put you in that pic with ETR and you're not going? ;) hehe

The climb and the drive are the only two potential problems, the DH would be a riot. You just kinda pinball down it in the snow.

I'm not sure my body is ready to handle this though...

Attachments

#24 ·
Crosier snow ride canned.

So no hands were raised....

I guess that means we need to reschedual it for some time when there's snow on the trail but no snow on the road (i had a good 4 wheel drift today bpm went way up). Anybody know were i can get a bunch of sand and bags for free?

anyway, i'm up for a more local ride Hall or whatever tomorrow anytime is good we me.

#25 ·
EricTheRed said:
So no hands were raised....

I guess that means we need to reschedual it for some time when there's snow on the trail but no snow on the road (i had a good 4 wheel drift today bpm went way up). Anybody know were i can get a bunch of sand and bags for free?

anyway, i'm up for a more local ride Hall or whatever tomorrow anytime is good we me.
I may be down for early Hall. I'll post an update in a new thread if so.

dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.