mtbr member

Summit County Trails???

I've been here since Jan. I just got a place in Frisco, the seasons over and I have been sitting on my @ss to much. When can I start riding trails in my area? Any help thanks.
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To stay balanced, one must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    173 hours, five minutes, and 34 seconds.

I'd go and give the Wheeler trail a shot.

Just remember to wax your skis.

Shread Ready
    Umm, waddaya mean the seasons over? I was riding 8" of Fresh snow at the Basin just last Sunday. Granted I had to do some hiking to get the good stuff.

I'll be hitting the Basin up a few more times before I hang up the boards but I'd also like to know of some good Summit County MTB'ing!

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I just went for a run on the Tenderfoot/Oro Grande road and it is mostly clear of snow with some muddy areas. This is usually the first thing to dry out with the trails at the Frisco Nordic Center usually dry out a week or two after that. Typically lower elevation south facing trails will dry out by late May and mid elevation stuff a week or so later. The high shady stuff melts later in June or even July. The way it's going this year, probably bump all that back a couple weeks.

The Summit Fat Tire Society is having it's spring membership drive & Breakfast at the Hearthstone in Breckenrige on Saturday morning from7:30 - 10:00 followed by a ride down in BV. There will be lots of folks there who can give beta on how best to deal with mud season.

The bottom line is this; look out your window. Do you see snow or dirt? Look up the sides of the mountains' Do you see snow or dirt? Go for a hike. Snow or dirt? It's going to be a big runoff this year so please respect the trails. If you're Jonesen bad and can't or don't want to drive to lower elevations, stick to jeep roads, they can take the impacts better than single track can. I know some people on this forum would rather hit their dick with a hammer on anvil than road ride, but if you can get over that prejudice you open a lot of options to get a cycling buzz.

Bottom line: Welcome to life above 9000'
    Last edited by zrm; 05-10-2008 at 10:47 AM.

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    I've spent alot of time painting vacation homes in the area and My favorite was peaks from frisco to breck then back. Gold Hill, CDT side trail called blair witch was killer tight, twisty, rooty.

Good luck!
    Last edited by PBR me!; 05-10-2008 at 01:01 PM.
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

"Oldfart from Wayback"

Mid July this year

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Fruita is only 2.5 hrs away, that's where most summit locals are now. otherwise drive an hour to the front range or get a road bike to deal with mud-season. Don't worry it will melt soon enough, it always seems like forever, this year especially.

mtbr member
    soon enough?, I drove home from Denver last night. got stuck at the tunnel for about and hour and had some of if not the worst driving conditions of the season, I guess the season isn't over. Sol vista still going to open later this month?
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To stay balanced, one must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

Shread Ready
    Whats this? Another 8" reported at the Basin... The picture above is realtime.. w00t.