lone rider

Summit County photos some old some new…….

Made it over the hill to Summit yesterday. Some of the lower stuff is starting to dry out. I rode from Keystone to HWY 9 thirteen miles of singletrack and only a few patches of mud and snow. Doesn’t seem to be slowing the locals down Dredge Boat parking lot was full. Portage your bike where it’s muddy! What’s a post without pictures? My camera froze up after only a few shots. Here are some photos from yesterdays ride and previous rides.
    some new:
    Lots of snow in the high country

Looks like home

some old:

I’ve GOT BIG BALLS!

Goat of Legend
    Awesome shots Galoot! From the looks of it I wonder if I'll even make Waldorf Mine much less Argentine Pass this weekend. Oh well, plenty of other stuff to ride if not.

Chronic 1st-timer
    between Waldorf & Argentine Pass last July 3....lots o' white stuff.
    Les grimpées, je m'en fou!

Yappy little dog!
    Nice photos. Looks like Keystone Gulch.

Goat of Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by lubes17319
    between Waldorf & Argentine Pass last July 3....lots o' white stuff.

Nice...Can you you legally ride Grey's and Torrey's from Argentine Pass. Looks like you can per my map...just want to make sure before I attempt it later this year. I want me some 14'ers on the bike.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics
    Nice...Can you you legally ride Grey's and Torrey's from Argentine Pass. Looks like you can per my map...just want to make sure before I attempt it later this year. I want me some 14'ers on the bike.
    You can legally HIKE-A-BIKE up G&T's. They ride Gray's during the Montezuma's Revenge race as one of the loops...

lone rider
    The CDT trail society was suppose to have constructed a trail on the saddle between Greys and Argentine. Last year I checked it out. Didn’t look like much fun in a lightning storm! From my lame blog: This is what it was like last year on May 21. Snowfall was about the same this year over 400 inches!

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics
    Don't think it's illegal, but it's not really ridable up or down. When they did the revenge up there pretty much the whole thing was a carry. Most guys rigged up a backpack like deal.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm
    Don't think it's illegal, but it's not really ridable up or [SIZE="5"]down[/SIZE].
    Depends on how big a bike you lug up there.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    It is starting to open up in Summit but only just beginning. Tenderfoot, Oro Grande, some of the lower Keystone stuff. Around Breck I rode up Moonstone and Barny Ford yesterday and those trails are mostly dry but there is a little snow towards the top. I walked a couple times.

Generally, Blair Witch is the first thing to dry out of the trails accessed from the Dredge trailhead. I'd be very surprised if much of the CT toward West ridge or Tiger RV was ready.

Salley Barber was passible but very wet on the norht facing stuff, with snow on half the road and lots of overflowing drainage ditches.

Minnie Mine, and X10U8 are dry as well as the flume trails until you go over to the north facing stuff towards the toxic forest.

I also rode up morning Thunder to Pence Miller and into the Nordic center. It's dry on those trails but still pretty soggy at the Nordic Center.

Please help spread the word to ride responsibly. Don't ride around mud or snow. Turn back if it's getting wet and muddy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm
    It is starting to open up in Summit but only just beginning. Tenderfoot, Oro Grande, some of the lower Keystone stuff. Around Breck I rode up Moonstone and Barny Ford yesterday and those trails are mostly dry but there is a little snow towards the top. I walked a couple times.

Generally, Blair Witch is the first thing to dry out of the trails accessed from the Dredge trailhead. I'd be very surprised if much of the CT toward West ridge or Tiger RV was ready.

Salley Barber was passible but very wet on the norht facing stuff, with snow on half the road and lots of overflowing drainage ditches.

Minnie Mine, and X10U8 are dry as well as the flume trails until you go over to the north facing stuff towards the toxic forest.

I also rode up morning Thunder to Pence Miller and into the Nordic center. It's dry on those trails but still pretty soggy at the Nordic Center.

Please help spread the word to ride responsibly. Don't ride around mud or snow. Turn back if it's getting wet and muddy.

Cheers to that. Don't ride the wet, muddy, and snowy trails. You'll ruin them for the rest of the year. Just wait a few weeks and they'll be less fragile.
    Catalina wine Mixer!

lone rider
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonj1979
    Cheers to that. Don't ride the wet, muddy, and snowy trails. You'll ruin them for the rest of the year. Just wait a few weeks and they'll be less fragile.
    [SIZE="6"]Someone should tell the locals![/SIZE]

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The locals get pounded on this too.

mtbr member
    I reconise the Aquaduct trail.

As of May 26 it's been raining for like 4 days. All the trails are wet now, stay away. A-basin is still open, go do that if your bored. I live a short ride from the Aquaduct trail and it was not wet up untill the rain. Most lower trails were dry and totally ridable. However once you got past the aquaduct trail towards the ranch, the trails were streams from melt off. If there are wet spots, I dismount and carry my bike over them.

A lot of us "locals" are still spending time with our winter downhill sports.

The trails are going to need to dry out again cause I don't know when this rain will stop. It's like monsoon season over here.