Biker Boater Boarder

Summit Cnty & High Rockies Fat shoes.

About to throw down some bills for 45nrth WolvHammers or Fasterkatts and was curious what the more experience riders in the Summit County or high Rockies wear for fat bike shoes.
    The debate in my mind is that when paying this much for a shoe I want to get the most out of it. The Wolvhammers are definetly warm in snow riding, but wondering if the Fasterkatts also may be a better buy too, to throw on my winter road bike rides around Summit/Breck etc.
    Concerned the Wolvhammer may be too warm for cold spring road bike rides, and the FasterKatts may be to lean in warmth for snow biking.

Thoughts, feedback...experiences???
    Thanks in advance for the feedback.
    Adios,
    "Chaco"

Lots of kids tell me they want to be firefighters when they grow up, I tell them they can't do both!

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SummitSurfer View Post
    About to throw down some bills for 45nrth WolvHammers or Fasterkatts and was curious what the more experience riders in the Summit County or high Rockies wear for fat bike shoes.
    The debate in my mind is that when paying this much for a shoe I want to get the most out of it. The Wolvhammers are definetly warm in snow riding, but wondering if the Fasterkatts also may be a better buy too, to throw on my winter road bike rides around Summit/Breck etc.
    Concerned the Wolvhammer may be too warm for cold spring road bike rides, and the FasterKatts may be to lean in warmth for snow biking.

Thoughts, feedback...experiences???
    Thanks in advance for the feedback.
    When snow is on the ground I tend to shift gears to sking - Nordic and backcountry - I pretty much put the bikes away till late March/early April and then I'm usually driving to the lowlands. Given that I'm not the most practiced on winter bike shoes but when I do ride in winter like conditions I just use full coverage booties over my regular shoes with good wool ski socks and that seems to work well enough. I'll admit though, I'm not walking through much in the way of snow or anything like that and I don't doubt that setup would be the best for that..

Loser
    Mar 2008
    Uggs

Goat of Legend
    I dig my Northwave Celsius Arctic GTX. I've ridden down to -3 with them and a pair of Seal Skinz socks. Going on a second season with them.

Northwave Arctic and Sealskinz sock testing...approved at 9 degrees F

P1090668

Clueless Bastard
    45NRTH products don't seem to have a initial strong reputation. I think from a quality perspective the footware seems to be missing the mark.

I JUST bought a fat bike, and plan on using my Sidi GTX with an overbootie and some neoprene socks/liners underneath. If that won't work, I may try the LAKE shoes or perhaps the Northwaves.....I think LG has a pair of crappy weather boots/shoes. Not sure I would consider the 45NRTH product, yet.

I've ridden Sidi for years, and their quality is top notch.....Can't imagine really wearing anything else

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Platforms and sturdy hiking boots + wool socks. One of the only times I prefer not to be clipped in when biking (plus the boots are great when you need to hike-a-bike).