mtbr member
    May 2006

a summer in boulder, what to ride?

So yesterday I received word that I was accepted into a summer internship I really wanted in Boulder. This will be an awesome experience for me as I have never been to the Rockies and I am totally pumped about spending my summer there.

I like a lot of agressive All Mountain style riding as well as some freeride type stuff. I'm more about long techie descents rather than big jumps and 10 foot drops.

Can you guys give me any pointers on places to ride while I'm out there for the summer?
    I don't mind to drive a few hours from boulder to ride.

thanks

Living the High Life
    Keystone has long descents and several technical trails from top to bottom. Sol Vista is shorter, with more jumps, but they have some nice rock gardens too.

!Vamos, flaco!
    Lots of good riding around Nederland, a $3.00 short bus ride up from Boulder. However, it's more XC singletrack. If you were a roadie, you'd really be in luck.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    Keystone has long descents and several technical trails from top to bottom. Sol Vista is shorter, with more jumps, but they have some nice rock gardens too.
    I've heard that keystone may be closed due to gondola work.
    I hope this isn't the case becaus I was really looking forward to going there.

I've read a little about winter park and silverton mountain
    how are those places?

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by Pabs
    Lots of good riding around Nederland, a $3.00 short bus ride up from Boulder. However, it's more XC singletrack. If you were a roadie, you'd really be in luck.
    Wasn't the Ned bus featured in the Bike mag. I recall a quote of 3300ft. downhill for dessert at the end of the ride.

But yes, definitely Ned area stuff will offer loads of options. Car would be nice to get to Camp Dick/Peaceful Valley stuff, but you can always take an early bus and pedal from the Ned High School to the stuff there, albeit, it will be a big pre-ride. South St. Vrain will probably offer the techiest downhill of all those trails, but there is a lot of variety and a boat load of mileage. The key is getting there early as afternoons bring rain.

In town you have the Flagstaff mountain and on top of it sits Walker Range. That's probably the best tech riding in town, together with the Canyon Link trail at the bottom of Betasso Preserve.

You also have lots of good tech riding around Golden, especially Dakota Ridge and very fun downhill in Enchanted forrest, although short, and just about sh!tlisted together with the Apex trail it is a part of. Evergreen has some more tech. In Lyons you have Hall Ranch, and a little outside of town there's Lion Gulch. In the Left Hand canyon there's stuff worth exploring in the OHV area, although you have to ride you bike through a shooting range, which I personally only done once and never wanted to again. There's more stuff in Jamestown and even more going closer to Peak to Peak.

You'll be held back the most by the altitude and the steepness of the climbs that abounds. Your best bet is to meet people and ride and they will lead you to the goods.

_MK

Rolling
    All summer?

You can ride a he1l of a lot of stuff if you get out every weekend and a lot of weekday evenings. I would go over to the trail reviews and start there. There are several good guidebooks out there.

Lots or rides get posted here too that you can hook up on.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    yep, I'll be there from may 26th to august 8th

I'm really looking forward to it!

Depending on the level of difficulty of my internship I plan on riding most evenings on stuff I can find near boulder and then driving anywhere within half a days drive on the weekends.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    yep, I'll be there from may 26th to august 8th

I'm really looking forward to it!

Depending on the level of difficulty of my internship I plan on riding most evenings on stuff I can find near boulder and then driving anywhere within half a days drive on the weekends.

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    Wasn't the Ned bus featured in the Bike mag. I recall a quote of 3300ft. downhill for dessert at the end of the ride.
    The 3300ft downhill is on a paved road, either magnolia, which is dirt until you start going down, where it's paved, or Boulder Canyon, which is paved. The trails in Ned do not geneally have big downhills.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

This is how it started...

Long techie descents.....just a little farther North

I like a lot of agressive All Mountain style riding as well as some freeride type stuff. I'm more about long techie descents rather than big jumps and 10 foot drops.

Crosier....yep, definitely Crosier.

Living the High Life
    Keystone will still be open most weekends. Winter Park is supposed to fun, but less technical, I really need to check it out myself.

Silverton is only open for 2-3 weekends, the lightning really starts in July so they can't run the lifts. I haven't been out there so I can't comment.

Vail has some trails too.