Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    105

    Suggestions for tires in front range 29

    It's time for new tires, i've been running the Bontrager 29 XR 2.1's for a couple years now and I'm looking for something new. I've gone through 2 pairs in two years and looking for something that will last a bit longer with more grip.

    I've read some reviews here and almost bought the Nevegals but couldn't quite pull the trigger. I've heard the Rampages are an excellent choice, however I don't think they will fit on the Dos Niner.

    Riding style is XC mostly, front range trails, fruita, Moab etc. Non racer, so weight is not so much an issue.

    Any suggestions?
    “Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.” - John Lennon

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: 2melow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,573
    Bontrager XR 2.1's are a solid tread design and are light but I tore sidewalls on both of mine pretty early here in the mildly rugged Fort Collins. I might have had a bunk pair. I've been running Panaracer Rampage's on the RIP9 - good wearing but I've worn out a pair since July already. I do ride to the trailheads and don't drive to trails so that's some of the wear. I've had good luck with Specialized Resolutions too, but I hear they are discontinued. Maxxis Ignitor is probably my favorite 2.1" skinng tire and I use that on the back of my SS with a Rampage up front.

    That said, I've got a couple Schwalbe Racing Ralph's which just came out. 2.4" and 2.25" which would be ideal for your Dos Niner. Big, good grip, GREAT volume, and a solid looking all arounder.

    Brett
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

  3. #3
    Old, stale, negative
    Reputation: bstrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    800
    Exi wolf by WTB. Been through two sets and love them. My buddy just got some Rampages and seems to dig em'. I'm gonna run the new 2.55 WTB Weirwolf up front just to see, but have been as happy as could be with Exi's FR and RR for a couple a years.

  4. #4
    Bad Case of the Mondays
    Reputation: Jdub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,919
    Quote Originally Posted by 2melow
    That said, I've got a couple Schwalbe Racing Ralph's which just came out. 2.4" and 2.25" which would be ideal for your Dos Niner. Big, good grip, GREAT volume, and a solid looking all arounder.
    Weren't there only 100 tires total for the entire US though? I was wanting to try a pair of those, but was reading stories about people having to import them and pay huge dollars just to get them.

    Do you have a local Schwalbe hookup?

  5. #5
    starladear
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    369
    Rampages have inspired confidence in my turning ability. When the Ralphs finally show up I will try them.

  6. #6
    Stiff yet compliant
    Reputation: Moustache rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,902
    I started out with a set of IRC Mythos on my EMD but found them washy in turns with the spartan side lugs.
    Next I went to a Nevegal in the front and have been really liking it. Traction is excellent.
    A little heavy and not the smoothest roller. The side lugs are disintegrating while there is still plenty of tread in the center. I assume because of the softer rubber used in the side.
    In the rear I have been switching between the Rampage and WTB Weirwolf trying to decide which I like best. The Ramage has better ultimate grip but the Weirwolf rolls smoother and traction is still pretty good.

  7. #7
    Big Boned
    Reputation: Manmountain Dense's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,535
    I was pretty happy with Rampages on my Karate Monkey. Also, I saw something about Continental Mountain Kings coming in a 29 / 2.4, which might be worth checking out when they're available.
    Never rub another man's rhubarb.

  8. #8
    ride
    Reputation: ignazjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,833
    Another vote for the Rampages (2.35). They are nearly the exact same size as the Nev's with a slight variation in tread pattern. I've been running Rampages on a couple of bikes and absolutely love them. WTB Exiwolfs (2.3) are excellent as well. If big volume isn't your thing, the Maxxis Ignitor 2.1 is a great tire. The Ignitor hooks up amazingly well for a 2.1.

    Honestly, though, 2pr of tires in 2 years is pretty good. The front range is notoriously hard on tires. I usually go thru a couple of sets per year, regardless of the tire or bike.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gotdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3,302
    Quote Originally Posted by 2melow
    Bontrager XR 2.1's are a solid tread design and are light but I tore sidewalls on both of mine pretty early here in the mildly rugged Fort Collins. I might have had a bunk pair.
    nope, not a bunk pair. i tore sidewalls on both my front and rear w/in a couple of weeks of buying them () only to discover that all of the reviews on MTBR warned of this.
    D'OH!

    other than the jones, my only other 29'er tire experience has been w/ the rampage--
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

  10. #10
    Feeding your addiction
    Reputation: Ventanarama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    2,667
    Quote Originally Posted by indy dog
    It's time for new tires, i've been running the Bontrager 29 XR 2.1's for a couple years now and I'm looking for something new. I've gone through 2 pairs in two years and looking for something that will last a bit longer with more grip.

    I've read some reviews here and almost bought the Nevegals but couldn't quite pull the trigger. I've heard the Rampages are an excellent choice, however I don't think they will fit on the Dos Niner.

    Riding style is XC mostly, front range trails, fruita, Moab etc. Non racer, so weight is not so much an issue.

    Any suggestions?
    I'll second some of the suggestions above, Rampage's are great, but if they won't fit then try the Ignitor, very good choice for this area. 2 pair in 2 years and you want something that lasts longer? I'd be ecstatic if I got 6mo out of a pair of tires.

    Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

  11. #11
    Bodhisattva
    Reputation: The Squeaky Wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9,607
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    Weren't there only 100 tires total for the entire US though? I was wanting to try a pair of those, but was reading stories about people having to import them and pay huge dollars just to get them.

    Do you have a local Schwalbe hookup?
    In fact, yes I do.

    The NoAm Schwalbe rep is a Ft Collins local and a friend of mine.

    I've seen the 29er Ralphs but haven't ridden them. Tread is minimal. Looks fast but not big on grip. Think race tire.

    I like Rampages on my dualie for all-around riding and Ignitors on my SS.

    I tried Exiwolfs and hated them. One of the worst tires, 26 or 29er, that I've ever ridden.

    I like Nevs but they roll very slowly.

  12. #12
    PDB
    PDB is online now
    SUFD
    Reputation: PDB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    247
    Ask Shiggy!
    He knows all.... Although, he'll probably tell you Rampages.
    Want to go green? Want to be low impact?
    Buy 2nd Hand Products!

  13. #13
    Team Velveeta™
    Reputation: TomP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,243

    Mountain King

    Quote Originally Posted by Manmountain Dense
    I was pretty happy with Rampages on my Karate Monkey. Also, I saw something about Continental Mountain Kings coming in a 29 / 2.4, which might be worth checking out when they're available.
    I just mounted a Mountain King 2.4 up front on my Dambala. So far, pretty danged nice. The sidewalls look wicked-tough. But I'm not sure that it's as good as the Nevegal as a front tire. I really like those. They are huge and don't roll very fast, but very confidence-inspiring in the loose gravelly stuff we have around here.

    Nevegals and Rampages are almost the same tire, but the Nevegals side lugs are just a bit wider than the widest place on a Rampage. Neve front, Rampage rear is pretty darned good.

    I really like the WTB Weirwolf, it rolls fast and has a huge casing, but it really doesn't corner anywhere near as well as the big-lug tires unless you're on pure hardpack. I also really like the smallblock eight as a rear tire. Not very big, but great cornering on the right surface.

    For what it's worth, I can't stand those bonty tires. Paper thin sidewalls and not great tread design. The Jones ACX is a decent front tire, but is so soft and gummy, it wears out really fast even up front.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

    "I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

  14. #14
    Go hard or go home
    Reputation: Sinjin4131's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    168
    I am running WTB MotoRaptors on my Mountain Goat...I like em.
    Best coffee ever... www.copperdoorcoffee.com/

  15. #15
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: 2melow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,573
    Yes, as Squeak mentioned the North American Schwalbe Sales/Marketing Manager lives in Fort Collins. He's on a Sycip singlespeed with rigid carbon fork and VERY fast if you ever see him. If you call 888.700.5860 (ask for Jeff or Celeste) you might be still able to get some 2.4's. They will fit f/r of your SIR9 with lots of room to spare. Looks like the ultimate singlespeed tire for our conditions. I'm gonna mount them up and give 'em a go this weekend!
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventanarama
    I'll second some of the suggestions above, Rampage's are great, but if they won't fit then try the Ignitor, very good choice for this area. 2 pair in 2 years and you want something that lasts longer? I'd be ecstatic if I got 6mo out of a pair of tires.
    Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    Man, I wish I could ride as much as you do. Great information everyone, I appreciate it. I really wanted a set of the Rampages but have heard through Salsa that it's iffy on the 06 Dos Niner, some say it works others say it rubs. I'm thinking of having the Rampage on the front and the Nevegal on the rear.

    I would have asked Shiggy but i wanted input from the people who live here and ride these trails.
    “Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.” - John Lennon

  17. #17
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: 2melow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,573
    I'd do Rampage front/Ignitor rear to give you more clearance. There's nothing worse than a buzzing tire on a chainstay especially when it is muddy and there is grit/mud mixed in. The Nevegal is BARELY smaller than a rampage and is a super pig (grippy one though) if you ride on the road at all. Great tire, very slow though and you will really feel the weight coming off of a 620 gram Bonty. Just my.02c

    Brett
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

  18. #18
    ride
    Reputation: ignazjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,833
    2Melow hit it spot on. I was just typing basically the same reply and saw his pop up. The Nev and the Rampage are almost exactly the same size. I run a Rampage in the front and an Ignitor on the rear of my Spider 29. It's a good combo.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

  19. #19
    Bad Case of the Mondays
    Reputation: Jdub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,919
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    In fact, yes I do.

    The NoAm Schwalbe rep is a Ft Collins local and a friend of mine.
    Yeah that is who I was referring to.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •