Rolling

Subtle Changes to Boulder Trails

What I describe as the "tyranny of gates" is about to end.

The city is adding cattle guard ramps to gated fence systems. Now instead of dealing with gates, cattle and poop on the trail, you only have to deal with the bovine and it's derivatives....BUT FEWER GATES. And you get the bonus of a little air if you hit 'em hard.

Here is an example of the type of grates that are being installed, sitting by the fence it will be installed at in North Boulder. The Marshall Mesa system is getting a similar treatment.

To me this is a long time coming.

Now older but less slow!

I saw that the other day out on Flatirons. My thought was that this would be great as I hate gates. My second thought was that this will shake up Strava times

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    What a great upgrade - no more fuss and no more gates left open.

But I cannot figure the angle so I have to ask what's best gear ratio for front range gates?

Now older but less slow!

Yeah what's up with the angles, is there a reason for that?

Cattle grates are usually flat but those are for vehicles but horses can't get over them - they still need to use a gate.

Do you think the gates will remain and these will be placed next to them? For certain trails i suppose the gates will still be needed for horses and ATV access for emergencies/county maintenance.

Loser
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNormsk View Post

Cattle grates are usually flat but those are for vehicles but horses can't get over them - they still need to use a gate.

Do you think the gates will remain and these will be placed next to them? For certain trails i suppose the gates will still be needed for horses and ATV access for emergencies/county maintenance.
    My guess is that these grates won't require them to dig a ditch under it like the flat ones. Wouldn't surprise me if they were freestanding and could be quickly removed when grazing isn't happening or if horse access is needed.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I've seen this style of cattle/stock guard in several places in the last couple years. If they're narrow enough they can also prevent ATVs from getting onto single track trails they aren't allowed on. Pretty cheap to produce an relatively easy to transport.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNormsk View Post

I think they leave the gates for equestrian use. Yep they still have to unleash the chain to get by. but I'm sure they are okay with it since there is no other option.

Your bike is incorrigible
    Yep, I saw one out at MM yesterday and wondered what was up. Looks like they can just screw them into the posts with a few lag screws. Wonderful news for riders!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    it'll be cool to see those things in action. I could definitely see people doing laps around the gates just to hit the new 'jumps'...

Shread Ready
    Sweet, just got some new ideas on what I can hit up here in the Springs! OP, I've hit quite a few trails since I moved to the Springs and Captain Jacks still ranks at the top! It's and excellent trail with lots of berms! I wouldn't suggest Palmer Park unless you have someone that's been there. Way too many different directions to go @ Palmer. When I hit Palmer with one of the Locals it was great because he knew an awesome route.

Now older but less slow!

This is what the new grids look like.

Subtle Changes to Boulder Trails-imageuploadedbytapatalk1369363537.696112.jpg

(Posted while on my bike on Doudy Draw)