Thread: Studs needed?

mtbr member

Studs needed?

So I found out i'm getting transferred to FE Warren AFB in Cheyenne, WY this November. I'm planning on buying a house down in the Ft Collins area, and am curious if anyone in the front range area uses studded tires on their rides? I'm currently in Anchorage and purchased a set of Schwalbe Ice Spikers 3 years ago for all the winter riding up here. I usually stick to the paved paths through the city during the winter, as they get groomed and packed down to ice by all the skiers, walkers, and riders. These have been a lifesaver while here, as the trails are solid ice from the constant freeze/thaw cycles we have all winter long. Question is, should I sell them before I leave or would they be of any use while i'm in CO? I spent 6 years in Spokane and rode year-round with regular tires and did just fine (aside from the occasional spill after hitting a frozen puddle under the snow now and again). I'd rather not use them, as they add around 2 pounds to my winter singlespeed, and really increase the rolling resistance. Would these be worth keeping, or should I start looking for a buyer in the spring? Thanks.
    Hey, I didn't see that rock there."

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I would keep them, but around here things tend to melt instead of re-freeze. There are certainly exceptions where ice forms, but for the three years I've lived here that doesn't seem to happen all that much. That being said, I've never ridden studded tires, so I don't really know how much a detriment they are in normal conditions. I guess it comes down to how tight you are with money and how much they're worth. I'd say that you don't need them though.

mtbr member
    That's good to hear, as they should sell pretty easy here - see them all the time on Craigslist. We have a lot of commuters here, so they usually snatch them up for their daily rides.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

I'd keep them...

Quote Originally Posted by millsm
    Would these be worth keeping, or should I start looking for a buyer in the spring? Thanks.
    You may not need them often in Ft. Collins... I live in the foothills (Evergreen) and they are nice when our local trails are snowpacked and/or icy. Just an extra option.

But, you're right - riding them is no fun unless there's snow or ice on the ground!

mutaullyassuredsuffering

Stud

I've been putting in big mileage all winter. I have only wanted them on 2 out of about 50 rides.
    Free will is an illusion, people will always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I've used studded tires this winter in and around Lyons (e.g., riding Hall Ranch and Picture Rock). The road I ride to the trailhead is often icy, and that's mostly where I've gotten my money's worth out of the studded tires. On the trails they have probably been useful an average of one out of every seven to ten days between mid-November and the present. If you plan on riding throughout the winter they would be handy every now and again. And all you need to do is save yourself one crash on ice to make having them worthwhile. On the other hand, studded tires are hardly "necessary" along the Front Range for winter riding, and they are heavy.

skillz to pay billz
    I find the snow to be pretty grippy on the days I ride in the winter, but if you're commuting it might be nice.

Moosehead
    +1 studs tend to be highly specific to your and others comments, and are best suited to hardpack trails and commuting. unless you are riding early AM, shaded, single-track in cold conditions, those days aren't as common here as in colder/less sunny locations, but it only takes one body slam on hidden ice to make them worthwhile. evidently some DH riders use studs for early spring and wet root conditions. unfortunately, the other snow condition is also highly specific and less predictable - in softer, deeper snow the widest rubber possible is best for floatation ie: pugsley 3" plus rubber.

Living the High Life
    I think it depends on the winter. I only use them for commuting. This year I've used them once. Last year I used them 15+ times (seemed like once a week I needed them), I got so tired of switching tires in the morning I bought a cheap set of wheels for them.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

percocet pioneer.
    I kind of doubt he plans on commuting 100 miles a day on bike in the snow

mtbr member
    Yeah, i'll only be driving up to FE Warren once a week for my shift, hence me buying a house in Windsor to be closer to the riding action. I'll be off for 5 days at a time, so i'll mainly be riding the trails close to town, as I doubt i'll be able to get the wife and kids out in the winter to ride. Although, 4 years of cabin fever during the winter up here in Alaska, they may prove me wrong!

mtbr member
    In all my travels Anchorage is the only place that has a bigass snowblower dedicated to keeping the paved bike trails clear. I am amazed at all the commuters in ANC that ride year round. An actual snowblower just for keeping the paved bike trails clear....

mtbr member

Snowblower or groomer

The trails I usually ride (Coastal, Chester Creek, Campbell Creek) are groomed all winter long for the skiers. The other trails & sidewalks around town are plowed/snowblowed. Guess that's what it takes when you have 6 months of snow on the ground every winter!