Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Stray Bullets at Buffalo Creek

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up to be careful when climbing shinglemill right before it turns into the Colorado Trail. It's not uncommon for people to be shooting up there but we heard a bullet rip through the trees while we were climbing it on sunday. We started screaming at them when they stopped shooting but before you knew it they were shooting again. I had this happen a few years ago and i called the sheriff and they headed down there to talk to them. I did not have my phone and there were multiple cars in the lot so i could not do much this time. This is really unacceptable regardless if it's only the 1% of the shooters.

I talked to the forest service today about the incident and they said to always call the sheriff if something like this happens again. They are allowed to shoot 150 yards off certain areas (i don't remember the exact definition but think trails, roads, parking lots)
    I am guessing the majority of the time they are shooting by the rules but all it takes is one dumbass to kill someone.

So if anyone is riding out there and the same CRAP happens to you call the sheriff from the road between shinglemill and the colorado trail. You should get cell service there.

The forest service said they might outlaw shooting at BC other than one small area and I am hoping that is the gun range west on the CT.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Maybe they could set up two shooting ranges...pointed directly at each other...

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrock450
    I just wanted to give everyone a heads up to be careful when climbing shinglemill right before it turns into the Colorado Trail. It's not uncommon for people to be shooting up there but we heard a bullet rip through the trees while we were climbing it on sunday. We started screaming at them when they stopped shooting but before you knew it they were shooting again. I had this happen a few years ago and i called the sheriff and they headed down there to talk to them. I did not have my phone and there were multiple cars in the lot so i could not do much this time. This is really unacceptable regardless if it's only the 1% of the shooters.

I talked to the forest service today about the incident and they said to always call the sheriff if something like this happens again. They are allowed to shoot 150 yards off certain areas (i don't remember the exact definition but think trails, roads, parking lots)
    I am guessing the majority of the time they are shooting by the rules but all it takes is one dumbass to kill someone.

So if anyone is riding out there and the same CRAP happens to you call the sheriff from the road between shinglemill and the colorado trail. You should get cell service there.

The forest service said they might outlaw shooting at BC other than one small area and I am hoping that is the gun range west on the CT.
    Had the same experience on Sunday in the same exact place. Also yelled and they finally stopped. With any luck, I actually might have it on video (the sounds, that is).

mtbr member
    Not the way I want to go out. "He was just riding along when..."
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I've had the same experience twice at that spot not (just lots of shots, no bullets through the trees). Once i went and talked to the people. I asked them if they knew there were trails and people in the vicinity, etc and that while they may feel they're being safe, it's pretty unnerving to be on a trail and hear people shooting so close. I finished saying I didn't have anything against shooting, but there have to be plenty of better places to shoot. It was all very civil and they said they were leaving anyway, but I got the impression that their attitude was "yeah, yeah, thanks for the input, we'll take it into consideration". Plus, it was dry and windy and they were smoking - that concerned me almost as much as the shooting...

Maybe the FS needs to take a look at some common sense restrictions on shooting in the BC area anywhere close to the trails.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    You should run up to them next time and scream that they just shot your friend and he's laying on the trail dead and ask them to wait for the sheriff, then ride off.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTrail
    You should run up to them next time and scream that they just shot your friend and he's laying on the trail dead and ask them to wait for the sheriff, then ride off.
    They'd probably ask if they could have him stuffed and mounted.

mtbr member
    Careful! That guy w/ the small p p and big gun might just shoot you thinking dead man tells no tales and leave your dead ass to rot...
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

A guy on a bike Moderator
    I've heard shooting up there too, but fortunately I've never seen any bullets!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    We heard the shots Sunday too, but I didn't notice any actual bullets.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    They are always shooting on the weekends and i am use to that but to hear a bullet fly by scared the crap out of me and a friend. That is something you should never experience.

The more i think about it the more it pisses me off

Now with 20% more fat!!
    You can only spend so much time falkin yer cousin in your trailer before you need to shoot at nature for making you such a failure in life.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Climbers have reportedly been shot at just south of BC at Turkey rocks.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JSD303
    You can only spend so much time falkin yer cousin in your trailer before you need to shoot at nature for making you such a failure in life.

So when someone tries to kill you are you going to Yoga him to death?

Heads up Flyboy!!
    A man was shot and killed in the Turkey Pen area of Pisgah National Forest in a hunting accident, my old stomping and riding grounds a few months after I moved here from there.

I'm not against guns or hunting as I used to hunt as a teenager. I am though, a big believer in knowing your surroundings and what your aiming at. The top of Shinglemill is not a good area to be target practicing.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics
    I'm not against guns or hunting as I used to hunt as a teenager. I am though, a big believer in knowing your surroundings and what your aiming at. The top of Shinglemill is not a good area to be target practicing.

So true. There has got to be a middle ground. Every "decent" human should have the ability to own a firearm. In NJ it was almost impossible to get one, out here they practically give them away. I think a mandatory gun safety class before you fire a weapon should be the norm.

Anyway, I love my new little piece of history.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stray Bullets at Buffalo Creek-img_0016.jpg  

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep

I admit it!

We were shooting empty pbr cans!
    Name:  john wayne.JPG
Views: 490
Size:  5.5 KB

But seriously- isnt there a shooting area (range) if you will at the back end of the shinglemill parking lot- over that cable and down the two track a ways? if so this should be seriously evaluated.

And another point: isnt there a fire ban and wouldn't there be a possibility of sparking a fire- i guess as much as a pedal strike on a rock. And i am not against guns or hunting but am against riders, friends or myself becoming a victim of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. We heard some on Sat. as well in the same area.
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers
    So true. There has got to be a middle ground. Every "decent" human should have the ability to own a firearm. In NJ it was almost impossible to get one, out here they practically give them away. I think a mandatory gun safety class before you fire a weapon should be the norm.

Anyway, I love my new little piece of history.
    I will see your '03 Springfield and raise you an M1 Garand:

A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    It's definitely not a shooting area. It's just a place where you put your beer down and shoot stuff. We camped at the parking lot for the weekend and it was super windy. Luckily i found the trunk of a car that Cletus shot up and we used it to block the wind from the fire. I wish i was kidding.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    They've been shooting there every time I've been up there this year. I often start from the Little Scraggy area and there's lots of rounds popping off. I always figured they were shooting into a natural backstop or something but never bothered to investigate.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    They've been shooting there every time I've been up there this year. I often start from the Little Scraggy area and there's lots of rounds popping off. I always figured they were shooting into a natural backstop or something but never bothered to investigate.
    Drive just south a bit from FR550 and take a right on the next FR road and drive to the dead end and see all the crap, bottles, clays and etc. that has littered the hillside.
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

Now with 20% more fat!!
    So when someone tries to kill you are you going to Yoga him to death?
    Sure, if Yoga is a colorful euphemism for gutting someone and feasting on their entrails! I grew up in the hood and am still here today. I suggest that someone do more than "try" to kill me, because if they fail, they have serious trouble on their hands. I happen to carry the best weapon available: my brain - always locked and loaded and doesn't run out of ammo.

I also wanted to state I really wasn't trying to take a shot at responsible gun ownership. It's just another example of a small group of ignorant d0uchebags making everyone else look bad.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by JSD303
    I happen to carry the best weapon available: my brain - always locked and loaded and doesn't run out of ammo. But it does seem to be prone to jamming regularly... rendering it useless.
    Fixed!

Now with 20% more fat!!
    Why you gotta point out my achilles? Thanks a lot...

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    I will see your '03 Springfield and raise you an M1 Garand:

Purdy!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast