mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Story about Buff Creek in The Denver Post

A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Rigid in Evergreen
    I guess it is simply inevitable that with the trend towards "long-travel bikes that allow more aggressive riding", mountain biking will increasingly be lumped in with motos and "motorized trails".

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by topmounter View Post
    I guess it is simply inevitable that with the trend towards "long-travel bikes that allow more aggressive riding", mountain biking will increasingly be lumped in with motos and "motorized trails".
    LOL, don't know how you came up with that comment after reading the article.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Jason Blevins must be an aspiring night-time soap opera writer. There's some QUALITY dramatic writing in that article.

Rigid in Evergreen
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113 View Post
    LOL, don't know how you came up with that comment after reading the article.

For all the good that is being done on the front-range for mountain biking, multi-use trails, etc. ... Not the least of which is mountain bikers embracing and helping to revitalize the Buffalo Creek area, a section of National forest that has been devastated by forest fires, as it slowly regains its natural beauty.

I guess I could have done without the reference to "motorized trails" being lumped into an article talking about aggressive, new-school mountain bike riding in the "Outdoor Extremes" section of the Denver Post.

And...

I'm confused by the "rutted trails near Golden and Boulder" statement, a pretty negative (not to mention mostly inaccurate) image of front-range mountain biking for the laypeople to chew on... The word they "should" have used might be "overcrowded"... I'd rather folks come to the conclusion that more trails are good, rather than being left with the idea that there are a bunch of trails out there full of ruts due to mountain biking.

Yappy little dog!
    I'm confused by the "rutted trails near Golden and Boulder" statement, a pretty negative (not to mention mostly inaccurate) image of front-range mountain biking for the laypeople to chew on... The word they "should" have used might be "overcrowded"... I'd rather folks come to the conclusion that more trails are good, rather than being left with the idea that there are a bunch of trails out there full of ruts due to mountain biking.

I agree with your statement. The words used by the author were kind of demeaning, especially to the people who try hard to keep JeffCo and BoCo trails open to mountain bikers. But, that's kind of how things seem to be going around here. I feel like the orgs have abandoned trying to get JeffCo to change and/or embrace. After Apex, it was like "who cares, let's focus on GBP and BC". Well, I still care.

Don't get me wrong. I love BC. love building and riding those trails, but there is a focus that has been lost in the process.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Jason Blevins must be an aspiring night-time soap opera writer. There's some QUALITY dramatic writing in that article.
    Agree. I think he wrote the last MTB article as well. I don't like his route to get to Blackjack. Up Sandywash? That's devil's talk.

Rigid in Evergreen
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers View Post
    Agree. I think he wrote the last MTB article as well. I don't like his route to get to Blackjack. Up Sandywash? That's devil's talk.
    Yikes, I didn't see that... climbing Sandy Wash? That's a serious fun-killer for everyone involved. If there is a trail on the front-range that should be directional, it is that trail (Honorable Mention goes to Evergreen Mountain Trail at A/3S ).

Colorado
    even the name alone - 'Sandy Wash' - doesn't sound fun at all for climbing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    So who is this guy Blevins? Is he one of us?

There is a section for Comments at the end of the article. Have at it.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Yikes, I didn't see that... climbing Sandy Wash? That's a serious fun-killer for everyone involved. If there is a trail on the front-range that should be directional, it is that trail (Honorable Mention goes to Evergreen Mountain Trail at A/3S ).
    Evergreen Mt East or West?

Rigid in Evergreen
    Evergreen Mt East or West?
    East... West is fine either way. Who says I'm not going to make a GREAT dictator!!!

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    So who is this guy Blevins? Is he one of us?

There is a section for Comments at the end of the article. Have at it.
    One of us? Maybe. For all of us? I think not.

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Speak for yourselves - Sandy wash is a great climb- obviously early morning or when its 15 degrees out and you need to stay warm
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    One of us? Maybe. For all of us? I think not.
    "One of you" schnauzers, that's a fraternity of One fo' sho'

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    What is the best way to get to Blackjack? I've only been on the south trails. I've heard starting from the pine valley trailhead is not that much fun either.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    "One of us"? Well, I assume he's a human being just like all those who post here>

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    East... West is fine either way. Who says I'm not going to make a GREAT dictator!!!
    So East should be downhill? Or up? I'm confused...

Rolling
    Always fun to read that stuff.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    ...a human being just like all those who post here
    Debatable
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member

Nice post in The Post

First of all, that was a nice article in The Denver Post. It focused equally well on the quality of the trails and the cooperative spirit that made them happen.
    Second, access to Blackjack is a bit of a problem. The article in the paper failed to advise the public that there is no shuttle option for the trail. You either park in Pine Valley Ranch and slog up Strawberry Jack or Buck Gulch, or you park at Buffalo Creek and ride up Sandy Wash. I rode up Sandy Wash almost by accident a few years back and found - to my surprise - that it is a great uphill trail. I suspect it will become the favorite route to access Strawberry Ridge and Blackjack.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by lginzkey View Post
    First of all, that was a nice article in The Denver Post. It focused equally well on the quality of the trails and the cooperative spirit that made them happen.
    Second, access to Blackjack is a bit of a problem. The article in the paper failed to advise the public that there is no shuttle option for the trail. You either park in Pine Valley Ranch and slog up Strawberry Jack or Buck Gulch, or you park at Buffalo Creek and ride up Sandy Wash. I rode up Sandy Wash almost by accident a few years back and found - to my surprise - that it is a great uphill trail. I suspect it will become the favorite route to access Strawberry Ridge and Blackjack.
    I think you are much better riding 543 to Baldy and going up that. This way you get to ride Charlies and at least Baldy has a few trees on it for shade.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    ^^^ This. I don't know why you'd go up Sandy Wash.

You could go up Gashouse too, which is an easier climb than Baldy.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman View Post
    Always fun to read that stuff.
    like at least 90% of what's in this forum
    Last edited by KarateChicken; 07-13-2011 at 11:12 PM.

Chronic 1st-timer
    So East should be downhill? Or up? I'm confused...
    Yes, exactly.
    22 Going on 23