Thread: Stoopid fun

rr
    I don't do PC

Stoopid fun

at Mt. Herman......

lucky enough
    All right - pictures posted from a ride! Hopefully this summer will have lots of them.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

I'm with stupid

Stoopid fun

I'm going to have to try your bike on a spin around ute or something sometime.

I tapped that

I did it all for the kudo

Re: Stoopid fun

Nice pics man, diggin the new bike!

Candlestick Maker
    Nice pics! That place sux! ;-)
    baker

Tossin the salad.
    Stunning weather and pictures! Thank you for sharing
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Giant Trance

I work in .001 tolerances

Ahhh Mt. Herman. Love me some of that.

Thanks for the STOKE! :thumbup:

mtbr member
    Thanks for the sweet pics.

New to the area where is this trail?

thanks
    Keep The Rubber Side Down

the Chain Guy

Nice shots. Just reminds me I haven't been up there in awhile. This might answer our 'where to ride this Wednesday' question.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Thx guys it was a great ride! Arin/Keith-the new rig is perfect for stoopid, I would love to do some shuttle runs sometime and skip the long fireroad climb.

Mr. D- it's Mt Herman in Monument, technically the 715 trail I believe, but affectionately called Stoopid. I've been in the Springs for 15 years now and I think it's become my favorite area to ride(as well as hike and snowshoe), but there's plenty of other great options too.

Now with 20% more fat!!
    Nice work, rroeder. Thanks for the stoke!

mtbr member
    SWEET!!! Looks like a great time!

Antitheist & Kitten lover
    Real men do that trail in the snow. At night. With liquor.
    Race Mojo Wheels | Read VitalMTB

Team Inflexible
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonvelocity View Post
    Real men do that trail in the snow. At night. With liquor.
    Pretty sure I saw you at Angel Fire yesterday Jason. I only hope your day of ripping was as good as ours!!!!

rr
    I don't do PC
    Real men do that trail in the snow.
    check

At night.
    check

With liquor.
    check

Just not all at once BUT, if you want to be a real manly man then you need to do it in the snow....at night....with liquor......ON A CROSS BIKE!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder View Post
    check

check

check

Just not all at once BUT, if you want to be a real manly man then you need to do it in the snow....at night....with liquor......ON A CROSS BIKE!
    Where would you park to start this ride, is it hard to navigate for a first timer going there. Thinking sat or sunday morning if anyone wants to try and put a ride together.

Antitheist & Kitten lover
    I have been at Angel Fire 6 out of the 7 days they have been open this year. I am taking a break before the race
    Race Mojo Wheels | Read VitalMTB

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    You would start at the trailhead at Mt. Herman Rd and Nursery Rd in Monument. Jump on any of the trails that leave the parking lot heading west and work your way up to Mt. Herman Rd (which should be running north-south by that point). Keep going up Mt. Herman Rd until you are at a switchback with a trail heading on both sides of the road. I'm pretty sure there is a sign calling it 715. You will likely hear gunfire. Head down the trail to the south of the road until you see the power lines and then take your next left. From there, you're going to likely get lost since there are so many trail options, but gradually work your way northeast until you get back to your car. If you hit Mt. Herman Rd or Nursery and then follow them down. Good luck and have fun!

Candlestick Maker
    A couple reasonable choices for parking are:
    Red Rocks Dr and Mt Herman Rd
    Nursery Rd and Mt Herman Rd

Ride up Mt Herman Rd. Go maybe a quarter mile past the Mt Herman Trailhead parking lot, there is a yellow No Shooting sign on the right side of the road. Look across the road and downhill, that is where Stoopid starts. Enjoy the beatdown.

When you get down into the Preserve, there are trails everywhere. Have fun exploring and getting back to your vehicle (not too bad)...
    baker

Shread Ready
    Nice, thanks for sharing. This looks like another great place I need to hit-up since I moved to the Springs! I hit CMSP last weekend for the 1st time and that was pretty cool. This looks much more adventurous. Thanks for all the tips on where to park.

Shread Ready
    I just got back from riding this. It was pretty cool but Stoopid wasn't quite as fun as I was hoping. I ended up getting off track on my ride up and 6 miles later finally made it to Stoopid. At first I took a right and started riding up 715 past the no shooting sign. I got to the top of that area and their was another trail marker where I turned around. Anyone know if you stay on 715 if it loops around? I'm thinking it does from what this website shows for the loop. I should of Kept going up 715 and did the loop. That seems like some better looking single track than going down Stoopid. I basically turned around just past Juncture 3 on this sites map and crossed Herman and went down Stoopid. Spot 3 is listed as the Top of Limbaugh Canyon. I think if I would of kept going I would of enjoyed the ride more going on this loop. Anyone take this loop before? Either way, nice to get out and ride something new!

Here's my GPS tracks.

Mount Herman by dawgdude at Garmin Connect - Details
    Last edited by Thrasher; 06-07-2013 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Requested

Candlestick Maker
    Limbaugh is a great ride, although quite a bit more committing and the exit can be confusing. Best to do with someone who has done the ride before, or allocate some time for exploring.

Edit: if you can follow that gps track, it appears to be quite accurate...
    baker

rr
    I don't do PC
    Looks like you got most of the stoopid descent in, there are fun options towards the bottom you prob missed tho. Aside from Limbaugh there's another great option that takes on the backside of the mtn and drops you down to Limbaugh where you loop around to the front side to HZ, you should hookup with someone to show you a few routes.

One thing about MH I've learned it's not about the mileage or vert but quality of trail and lack of people! That loop map you linked showed like 8 miles and 1500ft of vert but I've done it from the lower lot off Nursery rd and it was an easy 4 hr day

Shread Ready
    Baker, Cool. I think I'll try that loop next time. Maybe hook up with one of you guys or some locals to do it. It just says Don't Turn Right Here on #11 on the map I listed. Other than that it looks pretty straight forward.

rroeder, thanks for the info on how long it might take to do the loop and what to expect. It just seemed better than hitting stoopid. At least now I have a good idea how to get to where I need to go to start 715 without getting lost.

Nice to hit something else since I kept doing the same rides over and over. I actually made it to the front Range in Golden today and hit Apex/Enchanted forest. Good weekend!

rr
    I don't do PC
    The stoopid descent is a lot of fun and some great ST in my book, connect with the right stuff at the bottom and it's worth the long fireroad climb, shuttling it a few times on a full travel bike is even better!

BTW on that map you linked where it says "don't turn right here", you DO want to turn right there and link up about 2 or 3 more fun trails down to the lower lot. You need someone to show you tho