mtbr member

Stolen :: Transition Dirt Bag & Bottlerocket

Please be on the lookout for these two bikes that were just stolen from the City Park area in Denver:

Transition Dirt Bag, Medium, Black with white & green decals, White TR 28 wheelset, Totem, X.9 kit, Elixir CR's, Green TR pedals

Transition Bottlerocket, Small, Blue with white & yellow decals, Orange CB wheels, Lyrik, Codes w/Orange Straitline levers, Orange Straitline pedals

Please spread the word and ping me if you've spotted 'em.
    pedal pushers cyclery : golden, co, twitter & facebook
    bikes by .: kona | transition | ibis | turner | moots | cove :.

Armchair Sasquatcheror
    Doh! Where were they physically when stolen. I am so sick of hearing these stories. I of course was a victim myself. You have homeowner's insurance I believe, yes?

Good luck, I hope they turn up, if not maybe you'll get a couple of new rigs.

Did you see my bike theft article in the recent dirt rag? Fortunately I didn't have to learn the hard way.
    "Put the Fun Between Your Legs."

mtbr member
    the bikes were locked on my thule t2 outside my house near city park. happened 5 minutes after walking into the house. my cb wheels are super loud so not sure how they got away b/c i only heard the bikes come off the rack but not roll away. maybe they went straight into another car/truck? dunno.

hope insurance covers it. we shall see. is your article online? i'll have to check it.

Armchair Sasquatcheror
    I'm sure your insurance will cover them. + I assume you have records of everything at the shop and so on. The more thorough you can be, the better.

The article is only in the print issue.

Good luck, it sucks but hopefully you'll be able to upgrade as a result. One of the things that I said in my article is to not let high end bikes out of your sight range, no matter how well they are secured. theives are theives and they have a theif mentality. My bike was stolen when I was about 30 feet away.

I feel like one of these days, someone is going to catch someone in the act and beat the living f!@# out of the bastards. I have no tolerance for theives, unless of course, you are stealing from the Government or Corporate America.
    "Put the Fun Between Your Legs."

Rigid in Evergreen
    Heck I'm nervous sitting at a stoplight with my bike on my T2... strange days.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ibelieveinsasquatch
    ...one of these days, someone is going to catch someone in the act and beat the living f!@# out of the bastards...
    Or shoot them in the head
    FYI, a LOT of kids at Mines have CCW permits! I was pretty floored when I asked who had it in one of my classes!

Quote Originally Posted by ibelieveinsasquatch
    I have no tolerance for theives, unless of course, you are stealing from the Government or Corporate America.
    This is NOT thievery. It's called a recovery. BTW, you know something's SEVERELY screwed up when the gobermunt can be compared on equal terms as corporations! Which one is more corrupt is another thread altogether

Back on topic: OP sorry to hear about your bikes! See response to my 1st quote!
    Last edited by Pau11y; 08-31-2010 at 11:35 AM.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by topmounter
    Heck I'm nervous sitting at a stoplight with my bike on my T2... strange days.
    I'm worried they might make off w/ my T2 as well!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

simple
    Again, way too many high end bikes being stolen lately. Someone has a big stash somewhere. Sorry Cobisan

Rigid in Evergreen
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y
    I'm worried they might make off w/ my T2 as well!

No one would want my T2... they aren't really designed to remain on the vehicle when you're 4wheeling

mtbr member
    Feelin for ya. Give Transition a call. They might be willing to hook you up with a replacement frame on the cheap. Trek hooked me up when my Remedy got jacked a few weeks ago. I didn't expect it but figured I would give it a shot and they stepped up.

Homeowners insurance should take care of you regardless. Still waiting on mine but it is moving forward.

And Denver police are useless when it comes to bike theft unfortunately. Yah they are busy with more important issues but I didn't hear a peep from them in any way shape or form after submitting my online police report.
    Yield to downhill

Big Boned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobisan
    the bikes were locked on my thule t2
    Just curious, exactly how did you have them locked on the T2? Were you using the optional lock core to "lock" the arm down onto front wheel? Or did the thieves cut a U-lock or cable?

I ask because the T2 locking system always struck me as poorly designed. All you need to do is deflate the front tire to create enough slack for the tire to slide out from under the arm. We tested that on a T2 at the shop I used to work at, and it was stupid easy to get the bike off a "locked" mount. And even if the locking system wasn't so easy to defeat, the assembly the lock core fits in is just plastic, and could easily be broken with a hammer. Really, Thule needs to re-think the whole locking design -- and while they're at it, they could re-engineer the mounts that hold the trays to the rack, because they seem to like to bend over time (I've gone through two in two years).

When my bikes are on my T2, I've taken to locking them to my bumper via a 6' 3/4" cable and U-lock. Not unbeatable, but better than Thule's POS locking system.
    Never rub another man's rhubarb.

mtbr member
    Saw a couple on craigslist Denver. I don't think someone would be that stupid to post them, but you never know.

Pivot Rider
    So sorry, JC -- those were sweet bikes! Good Luck with everything!
    Dirt Divas website l Twitter: @thedirtdivas l Facebook

3nf
    Aphonopelma Coloradanum
    Quote Originally Posted by Manmountain Dense
    Just curious, exactly how did you have them locked on the T2? Were you using the optional lock core to "lock" the arm down onto front wheel? Or did the thieves cut a U-lock or cable?

I ask because the T2 locking system always struck me as poorly designed. All you need to do is deflate the front tire to create enough slack for the tire to slide out from under the arm. We tested that on a T2 at the shop I used to work at, and it was stupid easy to get the bike off a "locked" mount. And even if the locking system wasn't so easy to defeat, the assembly the lock core fits in is just plastic, and could easily be broken with a hammer. Really, Thule needs to re-think the whole locking design -- and while they're at it, they could re-engineer the mounts that hold the trays to the rack, because they seem to like to bend over time (I've gone through two in two years).

When my bikes are on my T2, I've taken to locking them to my bumper via a 6' 3/4" cable and U-lock. Not unbeatable, but better than Thule's POS locking system.
    The lock cores that Thule (and Yakima, and Rocky Mounts...) use are the same you find in typical office furniture- they aren't security devices, they just slow down honest people. Considering how easy it is to cut through a cable and that I don't want to use a hardened steel chain with a roof or hitch rack, I can't think of a way to actually secure bikes to my car.

mtbr member
    I used the lock cores from Thule, which are still locked. how I think the got 'em was by removing the maxle, lifting off the frame and rolling the front wheel off. a 15mm thick cable and mini u-lock are now in my car and I'll run 'em through the bikes and lock to the hitch. lesson learned.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I just bought one of these slikfit in-suv racks from a guy on Craigslist. Keeps my bikes locked securely in my SUV which I think is safer than having them on the hitch rack. Very comfortably fits two bikes in my Yukon.

www.slikfit.com if you want to check them out.

mtbr member
    I thought that a u-lock and cable locked to a hitch was enough. I had both locks on my bike attached to the hitch when mine was stolen.

Just bought an OnGuard Mastiff lock with the anti-theft protection offer that covers loss up to $3000. So now if I have to leave my bike on the hitch rack I use that attached to the hitch and a cable lock through the wheels since the OnGuard lock isn't long enough.

No way in hell anybody is getting through that OnGuard lock without power tools or torch (in which event the anti-theft offer doesn't apply unfortunately). They would need to cut through my hitch or start unbolting pieces.

Then if they get through all of that I have a taser I can arm that rapid fires ten times in a row over a 20 foot radius if the car detects a change in weight from the hitch being removed. Just kidding but that would be cool.
    Yield to downhill

i like rocks
    wow, major bummer. having moved here from chicago, people comment on how absurd my heavy duty security measures are. i guess they should stop picking on me...

i carry a krypt NY chain and shackle D with me everywhere i go, and generally speaking don't even leave my BR unattended then.

even that stuff is only going to slow a thief down. hopefully slow them down enough that they don't bother.
    Tim M Hovey

IMBA CAMBr COMBA BMA
    Transition Bottlerocket
    Gary Fisher Rig
    Blk Mrkt MOB 4x
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 F350 PSD