mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Stolen transition bottlerocket

my bike was stolen off my car tonight sometime around 6:50 - 7:15 in front of wheat ridge cyclery.

kelly green bottlerocket
    36 talas
    gold pro taper bars
    xt crank
    set up single speed
    thomson stem and post
    juicy sevens

anyone have any info please let me know, thanks.

hehe ...you said "member"
    PHUK ... in front of WR Cyclery ... that blows!
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    As the owner of the Commencal a few posts down that just got ripped off my car in the middle of the day on Tues I feel for ya. This is getting we todd it. I'm in the tackling business if I see any stolen bike ANYWHERE ANYTIME. Eyes open for ya buddy.

Goofing off?
    Sorry about your biks guys. Thanks for the reminder as my rig is locked to the back of my truck just outside my office. I am gonna bring it in.

My leg feels funny
    in front of a bike shop? that takes some serious balls

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    yeah parking lot was full of cars with bikes on them, and only mine got taken. and of course no one saw anything. what worse is they left their crapper, most likely stolen bike in front of my car.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Was it locked up? Cable, U-Lock, or rack-lock?

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by 98LS1
    what worse is they left their crapper, most likely stolen bike in front of my car.
    So really, it was more like a trade in your case.
    Seriously.. sorry to hear it man.

Shread Ready
    Fox 36 talas
    Holy Crap! That's one expensive fork! Sorry to hear about that. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

i like rocks
    dude, no way, thats freekin sucks! so sorry to hear of your loss, i'll keep an eye out!

btw: you must be the guy i keep seein at the resorts, i'm da fella with the black/white br.
    Tim M Hovey

IMBA CAMBr COMBA BMA
    Transition Bottlerocket
    Gary Fisher Rig
    Blk Mrkt MOB 4x
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 F350 PSD

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    As the owner of a BR myself I feel your pain. Will keep an eye out in the south metro

mtbr member
    Make sure you report this to the police. Hopefully you have records of the serial #. Sometimes these d-bags get busted and the stolen items become property of the police. If you have that important # and reported it, you may see your bike again.

i would try to locate the bicycle. Making posts is a good start. Inform all area bike shops about your sad ordeal, especially the ones who resale. Look on craigslist, especially boulder, your area and rocky mountains. They will likely resale it. Thieves steal because they suck at life and can't make enough money for themselves or for a drug habit.

This one time a snowboard thief in breck got busted. He had an apartment full of stolen snowboards and skiis. The paper here posted about this bust and a lot of people were able to reclaim their equipment.

It's very sad to lose something you use for enjoyment.

I lock my bikes to my hitch with a very long cable. I make sure I wrap the cord through my wheels too. Quick release wheels sometimes get stolen.

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by RidersofDslum
    I lock my bikes to my hitch with a very long cable. I make sure I wrap the cord through my wheels too. Quick release wheels sometimes get stolen.
    30 seconds with a pair of high-leverage bolt cutters makes short work of a steel cable. Shorten that to 5 seconds with a Dewalt rotary tool and a metal cutting disc.

I'm sure someone's going to tout a u-bolt lock... remaining blissfully unaware that they can be quickly popped by inserting and expanding the spare tire jack from most any mid sized sedan.

I cable lock up my bikes all the time but have no illusion it's going to do more that slow someone down for a minute. My answer is to have lots of pics of my bike and a good homeowners policy.

mtbr member
    Don't own a home.

Well considering most thieves are opportunistic, perhaps they will go for the less secure bikes over mine Most of the time they are walking by and gank something easy. I traveled 2,000 miles with this set up. I admit it was a little hard to sleep overnight at the hotel thinking of the bikes. My bikes are a pain to steal because they are also roped and bungeed up to secure them to my cheap rack. If somebody was to try something, it would look pretty obvious what they were doin.

I saw this car riding my bike to the coffee shop yesterday. The passenger window was busted open and a pile a glass was aside it. The owner probably had something sitting in view on the seat and a d-bag happened to walk by. I felt bad for them because they also are going to have to pay for the window.

Don't make it easy. It also helps if your bikes look like ****.

..ouch
    Don't own a home.
    Renter's insurance... Cheap and it covers your personal property wherever it's at.

Don't make it easy. It also helps if your bikes look like ****.
    True. Another good reason not to wash your bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    On 6/14/2011I too had my Bottlerocket stolen off the back of my car from in front of Target in Colorado Springs. It was at 10:30am, the front spot. The Target security camera only had a partially obstructed view, so the police have no leads in my case. But this is eerily similar. I wonder if they were related and then they swapped the parts to sell them.

My Bottlerocket was a black 07 large
    Totem fork with air conversion
    Elixir R brakes
    Dt Swiss red wheels
    Specialized tires
    SDG I beam seat
    Gamut chainguide
    White Truvativ Husselfelt bars

I'll keep an eye out for yours while I try to hunt mine. Maybe finding one will lead to the other

Does Not Belong on a Bike
    Yeah, I think you've popped the case right open. A gang of guys stealing BR's across the front range, sitting on them for a year, then swapping out parts.
    This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Might be interested to read this little Wired review of bike locks that they tried to cut and saw through... I just popped for the #1 Kryptonite. Heck, at least it has a $4,500 stolen bike reimbursement if someone does cut through the chain. Not sure it will be long to get through the front wheel, frame, and through my bike rack, but even if someone steals the front wheel, it will be way cheaper than replacing the entire bike.

http://www.wired.com/reviews/2011/01...iketools_lock/

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by jmvdigital View Post
    Might be interested to read this little Wired review of bike locks that they tried to cut and saw through... I just popped for the #1 Kryptonite. Heck, at least it has a $4,500 stolen bike reimbursement if someone does cut through the chain. Not sure it will be long to get through the front wheel, frame, and through my bike rack, but even if someone steals the front wheel, it will be way cheaper than replacing the entire bike.

http://www.wired.com/reviews/2011/01...iketools_lock/
    Interesting, but thieves don't typically bother to try to cut u-locks. They just stick a cheap spare tire car jack in between the straight sections of the U and expand until the lock pops open. Quick and quiet. If you're using that try to lock it so there's no room to wedge stuff inside the U.

PS - not sure why they used a dremel for testing. Most people that want to cut metal like that would use a full sized hand grinder with metal chop blade.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by thump View Post
    PS - not sure why they used a dremel for testing. Most people that want to cut metal like that would use a full sized hand grinder with metal chop blade.
    Yeah but how would you get that out and ready in the middle of a parking lot without a generator and creating a sh*t ton of noise?

The Dremel is battery powered and portable. Perfect for thieves, more productive than bolt cutters.

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by jmvdigital View Post
    Yeah but how would you get that out and ready in the middle of a parking lot without a generator and creating a sh*t ton of noise?
    Dewalt 18v. Full size cordless power for cheap.

When I did concrete construction as a kid we used little 2-stroke chop saws with 12 in blades. Not real loud and would cut through rebar like warm butter.

Unfortunately it seems that being obvious isn't a big deterrent for some of these guys.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Wow. Didn't know those existed. Battery power has come a long way.

The same mantra has always applied... if someone wants something bad enough, they'll get it. Doesn't matter what kind of locks you use, where it is, or how heavy it is. People steal entire friggin' ATM machines.

For those of you with homeowner's insurance... did you specifically have to put the bike on the policy or is it covered by default without any interaction with the ins. company? I have Liberty Mutual, if that matters.

EDIT: Obviously, cordless stuff has been around a while. I had a mini cordless Bosch circular saw a few years ago. Just didn't know they had cordless grinders out.

ACC
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Good luck getting 4500 out of Kryptonite in the case of a stolen bike. Read the fine print about that and I believe you will see that it entails some pretty onerous, more or less immediate, reporting requirements and sending back the hacked lock (which is usually taken with the bike), among other things.

Does Not Belong on a Bike
    @jmvdigital - Cordless tools in general have come a long way and are only going further. Lithium Ion is the rage today and powers everything from nailers to concrete vibrators.

And, I wouldn't carry that 15 pound setup with me after I cut it apart, wtf? Who takes the broken lock / cable ? Really?
    This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!