mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Stolen Ibis Bow Ti

What a day...

Left the garage open for a few minutes today and somebody stole my Ibis Bow Ti mountain bike. Just like that, my dream bike - gone. Spec'd with top-notch parts. Worth more than my Honda Civic. These bikes are rare, so if you see one that matches mine (or close), please call me ASAP: 303.653.6921

Bike is an IBIS Bow Ti (Also called Bowtie by some). All-Titanium Soft-tail design. Very rare and very unique (see photos).

CASH REWARD - $500 Reward if found/recovered safe. No questions asked. I just want it back. CALL: 303.653.6921.

Frame: Ibis Bow Ti - size Medium Frame is all-titanium (grey metal) and has a very unique shape (see photos). won't be mistaken for a Merlin, Litespeed, Moots or other titanium bike. Too unique. Has a brass Ibis badge (similar to current Ibis bikes).
    Front Shock: FOX F100 RL Silver
    Rear Shock: FOX
    Wheels: Easton XC One (black spokes, black hubs, black rims).
    Shifters: XTR SL-M970
    Crankset: Race Face DEUS XC (Black cranks, silver rings)
    Pedals: Time ATAC Carbon
    Handlebar: Race Face NEXT carbon riser
    Headset: Cane Creek
    Seatpost: MOOTS Lay-Back titanium
    Saddle: BROOKS leather, titanium rails
    Brakes: Avid BB7 Disc brakes 160mm rotors
    Various: NOKON cableset, Ergon grips, WTB Mutano Raptor Tires

This really sucks. 2012 started with no work and now no bike. If you see this bike on the trail, around town, at a pawn shop, fleamarket, garage sale, craigslist or whatever - please call me ASAP: 303.653.6921. CASH reward for safe return.

Thanks for keeping an eye out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stolen Ibis Bow Ti-bow_ti_medium.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Check the local scrap yards and pawn shops that are located in unincorporated areas. Good luck getting your bike back.

Is there a police report or an investigating officer to contact as well?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    post it in the Ibis forums too

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Garages...uuhhggg

Too many damn reports lately of bikes taken from garages around town.

I had a drill, toilet paper, and paper towels taken last year on Sunday morning when I forgot to close the door after retrieving the paper.

I keep nothing of value, except my truck without the keys in it, in there. Way too easy to leave the door open and get shat on by some a-hole.

Do you have insurance?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Wow, you certainly don't see one of those every day.

You'll have to keep your eyes on Craigslist and eBay for generic terms like "Titanium Mountain Bike" or "Full suspension frame with shock", because unless the thief is really dumb, they would know only a few of those exist and to advertise it even as a generic Ibis is going to draw attention.

Good luck, and hopefully someone will find it.

This place is wasteland

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    WOW!r
    You should pm the OP.

Different size though.
    Quite a coincidence.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    What city or area did the bike get stolen from?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTrail View Post
    WOW!r
    You should pm the OP.

Different size though.
    Quite a coincidence.
    The seller of the ebay bike is in Colorado as well. Spooky.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    Very strange.

I want to buy an Ibis Bow-Ti.

Quote Originally Posted by Duratai View Post
    Got mine up for sale (on MTBR classifieds & on the 'ol Ebay). Check her out if you're still looking! Thanks.
    Posted on 9-11-11 no less...

I think I can.

Nice looking bike

UT, don't think that's her bike unless the frame grew, somehow looking at the picture of her on the bike I would guess Medium or Small.

Will keep an eye out in Colorado Springs.

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

simple
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    The guy selling the Bow Ti is on MTBR. He's been selling his collection of Ibis stuff for the past few months. It isn't the same bike.

mtbr member
    This is the hard part of helping somebody recover a bike. OP I do hope you find it and is returned in the same condition.

What are you supposed to do on the trail if you think you possibly see a recent reported stolen bike? Chuck Norris their ass and hope you're right? I would be pretty offended if somebody stopped me and even insinuated that my bike was stolen.
    Last edited by elcaro1101; 01-25-2012 at 08:22 PM.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JOEMTBR COLORADO View Post
    UT, don't think that's her bike unless the frame grew, somehow looking at the picture of her on the bike I would guess Medium or Small.

Will keep an eye out in Colorado Springs.
    I don't think it is either. Someone would have to be pretty stupid to steal a rare bike like that and then put it up on Ebay.

But it is an interesting set of coincidences. Almost like winning the lottery. I thought for a second there it was a slick way to advertise and sell a bike.

The stolen bike was Med. The one on Ebay is Lg. And the seller has 600+ reps and a 100% + rating.

Those things are pretty rare. I never would have thought there were more than 2 in Denver. One stolen, one on Ebay.... at the same time. That's what I find interesting.

banned
    If that pops up anywhere, it should be recovered for you. Ibis hasn't made the Castellano Bow Ti for years. That kook Pete Fagerlin used to own one and I knew a couple of Fruita/GJ people that rode them back in the day.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Hey All, thanks for all the comments, tips & advice. This is what I love about the MTBR community.

The bike in the photos is the exact one that was stolen - that's my wife riding it. It's a size Medium, and tricked out with some pretty high-end parts. The only difference from the photo is that a few months ago I upgraded the wheel set to a set of Easton XC Ones. (BTW - the Bow Ti currently on ebay is NOT the one stolen, thanks for keeping an eye out).

I spent whatever free time I had in the past week speaking with police, perusing local pawn shops, browsing craigslist & eBay, handing out flyers to neighbors, local homeless, etc. All seems like a total shot in the dark, but hey - you never know. John Castellano (cool guy BTW) left me a voicemail saying that he still makes the Bow Ti frames on custom order, but they go for over $6grand each, so replacing the frame is unfortunately not an option for me. We're offering a $500 cash, no questions asked, for recovery or info leading to a safe return, but that seems like a long shot too...

We live in downtown Denver, CO (City Park / Whittier Area), and we're pretty good about keeping the house & garage locked/secured, but it seems peculiar that the ONE time we leave it unattended, the Bow Ti takes a walk... Whoever snatched it, left my wife's commuter bike, my cyclocross bike, our 'ol Civic, and all of my tools untouched. I can't help but think that somebody had their eye on the BowTi for a while... They had to lift it off of a hanging rack (and over my wife's commuter) to get to it.

My wife is scared (this happened in broad daylight), my neighbors are shocked, and I've lost a little faith in humanity of late. Then again, having a bike stolen isn't the worst thing in the world - it's not like losing a leg or getting cancer, but it still sucks nonetheless.

Thanks again for all the comments. Please call if you see our BowTi, 303.653.6921

mtbr member
    If it was lifted in Whittier, my bet is it is at the scrap yard on 43rd and Race St. They have a pile of bike frames 20+ft. high.

I lived in Whittier for 5+years and knew many of the local homeless and that is where they took bikes, or any thing that is metal.

mtbr member
    Chances are the deadbeat who snagged it has no idea it's real worth..probably just grabbed the shiny one.

mtbr member
    Will keep an eye out in the Golden/Arvada area. No way am I accepting any money if I see your bike. A couple years ago I ended up staring down an intruder who tried to get into my house while I was home so I know what its like to loose faith in your fellow man. "Some people should die. That's just an unconscious knowledge."

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If it's any consent, my sister who lives in Pittsburgh and rides recreationally caught a thief in progress when she was at a coffee shop with her Trek 820. She does amateur MMA fighting and caught the guy after he got 30 feet as he was trying to shift her bike into gear. Ended up beating him pretty bad. She still has some of his teeth as souvenirs. Having experienced a bike theft personally, she gave me some faith in humanity and the value of a good old fashioned whooping.

Hope your ibis surfaces.
    Free Wheel Coffee...A Coffee of Free Will
    www.Freewheelcoffee.com

mtbr member
    May 2008
    is it worth putting frame number up as well?