Armchair Sasquatcheror

Stolen Bikes Golden

Last night my buddy and I had some high end bikes stolen from outside of the Buffalo Rose just after dark. They were locked and we were literally hanging out next to them, went inside for about 5 minutes and that's how quick it happened. Please use descretion when parking bikes, I never ever thought this would happen there, let alone on a Monday night.

If you see them, they are:

2006 Rocky Mt Switch, red with a 66 on the front and pushed DHX 5 coil on the rear. Red outlaw wheels and red grips and stem. There is neon green duct tape wrapped in 2 places on the top tube.

2006 Santa Cruz Nomad. Grey ano, also with a 66 on the front and a DHX 5 air on the rear, white grips and orange chain guide.

I have renters but not sure if this is covered or not. Please PM me if you see anything fishy, unfortunately, my guess is that they're long gone. I hope whoever did this grinds their face into the asphalt and gets hit by a car. This was my favorite a nd most $ bike, prolly worth 4 times the blue book on my truck.

Thanks, there are a couple of pics below which are old.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stolen Bikes Golden-switch.jpg  

"Put the Fun Between Your Legs."

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Sorry to hear.

I'm curious what were they locked to (car rack, sidewalk bike rack, fence, etc..)? What kind of lock were you using?

Thread Terrorist
    Noted! i'll keep my eye open. We've had a lot of recent stuff stolen around my neck of the woods. What were they locked too? How were they stolen?
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Just curious - from garages and such? The cops actually locked my wife's car (parked in the driveway) and left a note saying there had been a lot of break-ins lately.

Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    We've had a lot of recent stuff stolen around my neck of the woods.
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

simple
    That sucks and I'm surprised it happened outside of the Buffalo Rose. I'll be bringing the NYC lock for future trips to the bar on my dirt jumper.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slcdawg
    Just curious - from garages and such? The cops actually locked my wife's car (parked in the driveway) and left a note saying there had been a lot of break-ins lately.
    How helpful, so instead of having to just replace a bike you would have to replace a window AND a bike.

Is it actually LEGAL to do what that cop did? He would had to have opened the car to lock it no? I'm pretty damn sure that's not legal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatarbhoy
    I have to ask for them to do a "Number two" on my head

mtbr member
    I'm not complaining. My wife has a bad habit of leaving the doors unlocked....better for the cop to leave a note than me.

Quote Originally Posted by karpiel666
    How helpful, so instead of having to just replace a bike you would have to replace a window AND a bike.

Is it actually LEGAL to do what that cop did? He would had to have opened the car to lock it no? I'm pretty damn sure that's not legal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by karpiel666

This exact thing happened to me last week, I left my car unlocked and a cop opened my door and left a note on my seat.

I'm not comfortable with that.. good intentions or not. I'm careful to lock my doors now, not because I'm afraid of thieves (nothing in there to steal anyway) but because I don't like cops nosing around my property without permission.

OP: Good luck finding the bikes, I will keep an eye out around Golden and on CL..

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    When I got ripped off in the Greenbelt Plateau parking lot (not a bike, just $225 of stuff) the sheriff that took my story said he had flyers printed up that he put on unlocked cars' front seats. It read "If I was a thief I'd have stolen all your stuff and you'd be weeks trying to cancel all your cards and replacing all your stuff". Or words to that effect.

I always lock my doors but just happened NOT to the day a thief was cruising that parking lot.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

not actually bad :)
    Matt, that really sucks.
    If they find the dirtbags, feel free to let us all know.
    I am sure we can form some sort of vigilante justice crew.
    Only halfway kidding.
    Good luck getting them back.
    Old Codger

Thread Terrorist
    me thinks they haven't left Golden.

Yeah, we had a suburban stolen (within Golden) that was dropped off near my house the other day. Stirred up quite a ruckus on my facebook page. people all complaining about what cops shouldn't and shouldn't do. If they're intent is to help, I appreciate that.

So the same morning, my neighbor was loading up his car to go skiing. This is saturday morning folks! Like around 8:30. He was going between garage and car and the thieves picked the right time to steal their ski's, boots, video playback device and their lunch! This was all IN the morning! WTF?

My guesses is that its someone local. I had the opportunity to chat with a Golden officer and they said a lot of inner city thugs (I'm thinking hippie boulderites) are coming into the burbs to steal stuff. 'cause we are clueless and stupid' with our belongings sometimes. (note, i said sometimes).

Dam hippies--i told you your stock would plumet in 2008!
    Golden Bike Park Group

Trestle Bike Park

Thread Terrorist
    Matt,
    Take the above picture and show it to everyone at the bike shops. Hit up the pawn shops too. It may pay off.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Damn, that takes some balls

Like around 8:30. He was going between garage and car and the thieves picked the right time to steal their ski's, boots, video playback device and their lunch! This was all IN the morning! WTF?

..ouch
    So the same morning, my neighbor was loading up his car to go skiing. This is saturday morning folks! Like around 8:30. He was going between garage and car and the thieves picked the right time to steal their ski's, boots, video playback device and their lunch! This was all IN the morning! WTF?
    Just another reason that living in the burbs is awesome.

I'd be pissed with a cop opening my car doors and would likely leave them a note expressing my, ah, gratitude for their help. It's amazing the sense of power that comes from community college and a $50 uniform.

CSM
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by thump
    Just another reason that living in the burbs is awesome.

I'd be pissed with a cop opening my car doors and would likely leave them a note expressing my, ah, gratitude for their help. It's amazing the sense of power that comes from community college and a $50 uniform.
    Man, people rag on the cops, but the minute s**t really hits the fan, people like you are whining because they didn't get there fast enough. No sense ragging on community college either. I went to community college, and I am now about to finish my degree at Mines, nothing wrong with CC.

I'd rather a cop lock my doors than some meth head high schooler steal all my stuff.

@OP, I'll keep my eyes open at Mines, somebody mentioned spamming photos at bike shops, not a bad idea. When you go into pawn shops also give them the serial # so if it does get pawned it'll get flagged.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by 69erSycip
    That sucks and I'm surprised it happened outside of the Buffalo Rose. I'll be bringing the NYC lock for future trips to the bar on my dirt jumper.
    Bring your bikes in. Crap, the owner parks his Harley in the band hall.

Yappy little dog!
    Sorry to hear. That red bike will stick out pretty well in a crowd. I'll keep my eyes open.

Good luck.

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEBiker
    Man, people rag on the cops, but the minute s**t really hits the fan, people like you are whining because they didn't get there fast enough. No sense ragging on community college either. I went to community college, and I am now about to finish my degree at Mines, nothing wrong with CC.
    Nope.. I can count on one hand the amount of times I've ever dialed 911, and it's always been to call in a medical or fire emergency. I grew up with respect for cops, but the consistent disrespect I've witnessed by cops to law abiding citizens through the years has entirely eroded that. I'm happy to take care of my own business and prefer the cops mind theirs. Sorry for the knock on CC[SIZE="1"] (avoid ever watching Chris Rock).[/SIZE]

bike rider
    So did they cut the lock with bolt cutters?
    Keep the Country country.

Grams Light Bikes
    Yes, please give us some info on what they cut, at least we can all be bettered prepared, and perhaps use more worthy heavy duty cables?

3nf
    Aphonopelma Coloradanum
    thieves ... steal ...their lunch!
    Now that ain't right.

There has been a lot of shadiness around Golden lately- at Mines, some crackheads have been going around breaking into cars, and supposedly had a persuit with the campus cops. Some car breakins here in North Golden, too.

It's probably easy pickings for the average thief with all of the money and the perception of "safety" here. Don't leave stuff (ipods, bags, purses, wallets, bikes, skis, laptops) in plain sight in a car, not just because somebody will grab it, but because they'll be back to the area for more.

Any update I.B.I.S.??
    Old Codger

Update on the incident IE was referring to:

A couple pix here:
    http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_14390429

"Golden police seek women who used credit cards from stolen car
    By Howard Pankratz
    The Denver Post

Posted: 02/12/2010 12:38:06 PM MST
    Updated: 02/12/2010 12:56:39 PM MST

Surveillance camera caught a suspect who used a stolen credit card at Shoe Carnival. ( Golden Police| )Golden police are seeking two young women who are believed to have stolen a black Ford Expedition and then used credit cards left in the car to make purchases in Golden and Lakewood.

The Expedition was left running, unlocked and unattended in the driveway of a home in the 1300 block of Wyoming Street in Golden.

The Expedition, stolen around 8 a.m. on Jan. 23, was recovered in the Mountain Ridge neighborhood of Golden, less than 25 minutes later.

At 8:27 a.m., a credit card stolen from the vehicle was used at the Loaf n Jug at 700 Warner Drive in Golden.

Surveillance video shows two young women entering the store, purchasing items with the stolen card and leaving in a white Volkswagen Tiguan or Toureg.

Surveillance camera caught a suspect who used a stolen credit card at Loaf N Jug (Golden Police | )The stolen cards were used again at the Shoe Carnival at 7111 W. Alameda in Lakewood at 11 a.m.

Golden police are asking the public's assistance in identifying the young women seen in surveillance images.

People with information about the suspects should call Detective Marcus Williams at 303-384-8116 or the crime tip hot line at 303-384-8034.

Golden police said that it is illegal to leave vehicles unattended and running. Several hundred so-called "puffers" are stolen every year.

Howard Pankratz: 303-954-1939 or hpankratz@denverpost.com"
    Old Codger

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy!
    Update on the incident IE was referring to:

A couple pix here:
    http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_14390429
    Meth chicks. They're in Kansas City by now.