Awesomist™

Steamboat Springs votes for MOAR TRAILS

A co-worker hipped me to this today... apparently there's been a referendum in das Boat that, if passed, would dedicate a substantial amount of money to improving the trails in and around Steamboat Springs. The money comes from a 1% tax paid by lodging guests, and over the course of the next decade could equate to millions (I think) of dollars. The referendum also allocates some of the money to a new promenade in town, but once that's complete all the money goes to the trails if I understand it correctly. All I gotta say is... fvck yeah. I'm sure there's a few of you on this board that had something to do with this... and to ya'll I say "Strong work!"

From the article:
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.steamboattoday.com/
    In the short term, the tax dollars could be used to fund things such as an extension of the Yampa River Core Trail and trail projects on Emerald Mountain.

Steamboat Springs voters overwhelmingly support spending lodging tax on trails, Yampa promenade | Steamboat Pilot & Today
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Stand back
    I like the precedent they're setting. We need more good examples like that around here.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    The Accomidations tax is paid into by our tourist "guests". We passed a vote to send up to $600,000 a year for trails and park related purchases on Yampa street. The vote armarked these funds for the next 10 years.

Now we are funded, we just need someone to cut the red tape nod get the USFS to let us build the new trails that are proposed.

Come visit, stay in a hotel, your overnight can pay for new trails!

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Kudos.
    I'll be sleeping in my rig, but I'll be sure to tip my hot waitress an extra 1%!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

contains quinine
    Looks like it's time to head to Steamboat again!
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

mtbr member
    The website for trail projects. Lots to see there.

Steamboat Springs Trails

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Steamboat Springs votes for MOAR TRAILS

Tell me more about this promenade.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker View Post
    The Accomidations tax is paid into by our tourist "guests". We passed a vote to send up to $600,000 a year for trails and park related purchases on Yampa street. The vote armarked these funds for the next 10 years.

Now we are funded, we just need someone to cut the red tape nod get the USFS to let us build the new trails that are proposed.

Come visit, stay in a hotel, your overnight can pay for new trails!
    In the case of new trails on federal land, NEPA is law (and IMO a good law) and there's only so much you can do to "cut red tape". It has requirements and they have to by law be met. You do a sloppy NEPA and take short cuts, chances are someone will be watching and will litigate which draws things out for even longer and makes them more expensive. It's best to have someone on the proponents side who is familiar with the process (you can hire a contractor) who can work through all the requirements and field work and do a good thorough job.

You can request the work be done by the FS but it's not so much "red tape" but the work load. In an era where budgets and staff are decreasing, not increasing things that require a lot of staff time in the field and in the office aren't going to be quick. Plus, the FS is required by cost recovery law to bill the proponents of a project for their time.

Anyway, it's great that the Boat is going to have some money for trails. Here in Summit and Breckenridge, we've had an Open Space sales tax since the mid 90s. It has devoted millions of dollars to land purchases and trails. I hope it works out as well for SB as it has for Summit.

mtbr member
    Park City has been doing something similar for a long time and they now have hundreds of miles of trails primarily paid for by sales tax.