Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Good job! Steamboat Springs trails?

I need help finding a MTB trail map of the MTN.The one on there site does not show a lot detail . I was thinking of going to SB for july 4 weekend since we have done WP for the last 3 years. I have done the I70 traffic the first year and learned to come back through RMNP ever since then.

Has Anyone road the MTN? I would love the input or Pic's

Thanks
    My new Quote is "don't let friends ride old bikes on DH Trails "

mtbr member
    Dude, you're in for a treat on the 4th. Book early tho.
    As for the trails ON the mountain, wait till you get there and just go grab a map from the mountain. But for a preview, EVERYTHING is a HUGE climb, at least till you get up past mid mountain. It's primarily based in XC riding, tho you have Fish Creek. From rumors of my buddies, they've bermed up everything on lower mountain. Ping Marko, he'll hook you up w/ details.
    Truth be told, if you make it up there the mountain would be the last place I'd go ride...too many bodies. Try North or South Routt instead. Grab one of those Singletrack books and enjoy!

Edit: the fireworks alone have been worthy of the trip. Hell, I might try to make it up there for the 4th too (if me bud doesn't sell his house by then).
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    I was there for the 4th last summer. I agree with Pau11ly--ride somewhere other than the resort. I did a huge loop involving singletrack and dirt roads. I rode up to Buffalo Pass and came down Fish Creek or Fish Falls or whatever it's called. There were several useful maps available at REI.

mtbr member
    The online maps may not show details 'cause ther isn't that much to show. Two ways down from the top of the gondola, and a couple of nice trails above the gondola is all we have. The best riding is off the mountain. come on up for the fourth, goto any of teh local shops, Orange Peel on Yampa is my choice, and get some local info on the emerald trails, or the other great trails in and around our little town and enjoy. If you have any more specific questions, post 'em, I'll do my best to give you the answers.

mtbr member
    Thanks Guys. I can't wait till summer for sure. I was looking at the easy trails because my wife would love to ride down as well but on some really easy trails. She has only rode her new TREK around here on pavement so i want to take her somewhere she can go up and ride at her on pace down.

I was told SB had some great fireworks on the 4th. They do a great job in WP but i want something new.
    My new Quote is "don't let friends ride old bikes on DH Trails "

Loser
    Mar 2008
    Don't forget about Howelson. Its loads of fun, was lucky enough to live within a 5 minute bike ride of Howelson all summer. Can't wait to go back and visit again this summer.

crashes in parkinglot
    I did "shuttles" in SB for 3 days. Rabbit ears to Fish Creek Falls (fun and tech) Near the bottom expect a good number of people. Rabbit ears to the ski resort, more climbing than on Fish Creek falls, but the burms that they put up last year were a hoot. I also did a Scotts run trail ride, great fun, and no bugs in the fall. There is also a fun trail across the road from Scotts, but I don't remember the name, not very long and has some good views.

I think the ski resort got approved for more trails to be built so that is pretty exciting.
    Down is the new up.

mtbr member
    CK,
    Try hitting the S side of Howl Hill. It's pretty flat for you beginner rider wife.
    The other trail is Spring Creek, till it starts to climb. If she's game, Spring Creek will take you up to Buff Pass...nice up, mellow down.
    One thing about the mountain, don't pass up a shorty run on Creek Side...
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Cycling, FTW!!
    Quote Originally Posted by EricTheRed
    I did "shuttles" in SB for 3 days. Rabbit ears to Fish Creek Falls (fun and tech) Near the bottom expect a good number of people. Rabbit ears to the ski resort, more climbing than on Fish Creek falls, but the burms that they put up last year were a hoot. I also did a Scotts run trail ride, great fun, and no bugs in the fall. There is also a fun trail across the road from Scotts, but I don't remember the name, not very long and has some good views.

I think the ski resort got approved for more trails to be built so that is pretty exciting.
    Didn't you promise us some trip reports from your rides? I'm still waiting....

Here is the map you need if you are coming to Steamboat. Sky Terrain Steamboat/zirkel
    "When you pay $340 to do a 24 hour race you'll only have enough money to eat mustard sandwiches the rest of the year." -TD

crashes in parkinglot
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkoInTheBoat
    Didn't you promise us some trip reports from your rides? I'm still waiting....
    I did, but I've been lazy. I think it took me 3 months to post up my Salida/ Monarch Crest pics. I donn't want to out do my self.
    Down is the new up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Me too!!

Quote Originally Posted by Klein_Christopher
    I need help finding a MTB trail map of the MTN.The one on there site does not show a lot detail . I was thinking of going to SB for july 4 weekend since we have done WP for the last 3 years. I have done the I70 traffic the first year and learned to come back through RMNP ever since then.

Has Anyone road the MTN? I would love the input or Pic's

Thanks
    Not to high-jack your thread K-C. I just found out that I will be up there for a family reunion Fri. through Mon. I was hoping to rent a XT level FS-AM/XC bike and ride Sat. or Sun. morning that I am in town. Orange Peel looks like a cool shop, but shop recommendations are welcome. We will be flying into Denver and staying with friends Thurs. I plan to do the Moots factory tour on Friday morning if you guys think it's worth the trip. I would be up for a local ride as long as the CAT-1's stay home. As far as skill level, I can hold my own, but I know the altitude is going to kick my butt. I will have a rental car, but would prefer to ride to the trails if it is not out of the way. I will be staying at the Lodge at Steamboat Springs if that helps with navigation.

Tell me more about the I70 traffic, please.

Thanks in advance,
    Brian

mtbr member
    "Tell me more about the I70 traffic, please."

When too many front ranges try to go home at the same time the road gets blocked and it's like a parking lot. Mostly a problem going into the mountains on friday evening, and returning to the plains on sunday afternoon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Worse than I85 in Atlanta?

Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker
    "Tell me more about the I70 traffic, please."

When too many front ranges try to go home at the same time the road gets blocked and it's like a parking lot. Mostly a problem going into the mountains on friday evening, and returning to the plains on sunday afternoon.
    Thanks for the info. I had a feeling that was what you were referring to. I plan to be driving Thurs. night/Fri. morning and back on Mon. evening/ Tues. morning. I should be OK with the traffic, I hope.

mtbr member
    You do realise that we are still covered with snow, and the only riding is on the roads? Check in with the boys at Orange Peel for demo road bikes, and we have a group ride sunday at noon from the OP. Oh, The ski area has great "spring" conditions.

Watch the drive through Kremmling, It's an old fashion speed trap town, no tolerance, and a cop at the entrance/exit waiting to bust anyone going over the sped limit. Another popular place for the CSP is the downhill of rabbit ears, Speed limit is 50mph, and the CSP will be waiting. Everywhere else it's road rally rules, stay on the road and watch out for deer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

I should have been more clear sbs...

You do realise that we are still covered with snow, and the only riding is on the roads? Check in with the boys at Orange Peel for demo road bikes, and we have a group ride sunday at noon from the OP. Oh, The ski area has great "spring" conditions.

Watch the drive through Kremmling, It's an old fashion speed trap town, no tolerance, and a cop at the entrance/exit waiting to bust anyone going over the sped limit. Another popular place for the CSP is the downhill of rabbit ears, Speed limit is 50mph, and the CSP will be waiting. Everywhere else it's road rally rules, stay on the road and watch out for deer.
    I was tagging onto the OP's post. I will be there July 4th weekend Friday-Monday. But thanks for the road riding info. I do that too. However, I much prefer mtb and if I only get one ride, I'd like it to be off-road.

Thanks again for the info.
    Brian

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Pau11y or sbsbiker,

If I am staying at Trailhead Lodge. What singletrack is closest to that? I heard in this thread and a another one that Spring Creek is good. I will have about 2-3 hours Friday morning July 2nd to do a morning ride. I hope to get a rental that morning. Is that doable?

Feel free to PM me.

Brian

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by willie b
    If I am staying at Trailhead Lodge. What singletrack is closest to that? I heard in this thread and a another one that Spring Creek is good. I will have about 2-3 hours Friday morning July 2nd to do a morning ride. I hope to get a rental that morning. Is that doable?

Feel free to PM me.

Brian
    Where's Trailhead Lodge? Can you give a general area...ski area, downtown (cross streets), etc. Places have been changing a lot up there. Howelsen Hill trails are good to hit from downtown. Ski area's a no-brainer (climb T-Head up Yahoo or Valley View but try not to miss Creekside on the way down).

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y
    Where's Trailhead Lodge? Can you give a general area...ski area, downtown (cross streets), etc. Places have been changing a lot up there. Howelsen Hill trails are good to hit from downtown. Ski area's a no-brainer (climb T-Head up Yahoo or Valley View but try not to miss Creekside on the way down).

1175 Bangtail Way.
    Steamboat Springs, CO 80487

Looks like I can always just go to the resort and rent and roll. Seriously any ride will be great, but I prefer singletrack over fire road. I do not have a map, and I hope that the resort could provide one.

Thanks in advance,
    B

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by willie b
    1175 Bangtail Way.
    Steamboat Springs, CO 80487

Looks like I can always just go to the resort and rent and roll. Seriously any ride will be great, but I prefer singletrack over fire road. I do not have a map, and I hope that the resort could provide one.

Thanks in advance,
    B
    Willie B? I think I've ridden w/ you and El Jefe up on Howelsen. You own a Nomad, dressed to kill w/ King?

That address is a new condo at the Meadows parking lot and the tennis bubble. The resort is a good ride and closest. You can go across US40 and hit Tree Haus to get over to Howelsen. Go up into Tree Haus - Mt Werner Rd under US40 and con't into Tree Haus. X the railroad tracks and straight thru the River Road intersection. Take left at T and hard right (hair pin) at the next Y. Climb till next hair pin and look for the trailhead that'll take you to the transmission line right-or-way. Climb the ROW (150 yrd) till you see the Tree Haus/Howelsen cutover. Head over to H-Hill and go nuts! There's talk from my buddy of another trail, heading north/west off the ATC (not the radio) tower. Heading up for 4th as well and looking fwd to hitting this trail
    Last edited by Pau11y; 06-13-2010 at 09:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y
    Willie B? I think I've ridden w/ you and El Jefe up on Howelsen. You own a Nomad, dressed to kill w/ King?
    Nope, not me. Though I am a snappy dresser. I've only been to SteamBoat in Winter for snowboarding and skiing thus far. This will be my third time in Colorado for biking, I usually hit Summit Co. or Durango. I've heard great things about SB, so I am really looking forward to it. Thanks for all of your help. If you guys happen to be free Friday morning PM me, I will probably be out there for 3-4 hours. That is as long as you don't mind waiting for a "sea-level" rider. I remember the altitude killed me in Keystone.

B

little mad riding hood
    Jun 2004

thread dredge, going to Steamboat this weekend

Hi all,

Fiance' and I are going to Steamboat Springs this weekend. Will take our 4" duallies, and would like to find 4 days worth of decent moderate XC type riding. Leaving early Friday morning, returning Monday night.

Examples of trails we enjoy on the Front Range: Buff Creek, Sourdough (south end), Heil/Picture Rock.

We're not afraid of climbing and do most of the Winter Park series, but stuff that's really rocky/tech and steep makes it not as much fun.

Suggestions?

mtbr member
    Friday afternoon; ride Emerald mt, start at the downtown ski area and go up to the Quarry and then get onto the orton lands and keep turning left till you are ready to go down
    Sat; Get an eary start and ride Mt Werner, depending on how much you want to climb the top can be reached in less than an hour (if you are super fast) it takes me 1:10. Mt View leads off the backside to the Divide and is great at the four way turn north to Buff pass, or south to Rabbit ears or get a shuttle to the top of Rabbit ears to recreate the Livestrong ride (PM me for shulttle details)
    Sunday; Take a short drive to Seedhouse road, and hit Coulton Creek, to Scott's run to Diamond Park, Divide trail back to seedhouse then try the South Fork trail(Burn Ridge) back to car watch out for logging operations on Burn ridge.
    Monday; Hot springs Mad Creek, Red dirt ride from town and take in all the trails just north of town or Spring creek can be a shorter option if you have to get back to the downhill traffic jam into denver.

If you have time to spare, the Steamboat Springs Stage Race is happening all weekend with four stages of road racing, TT friday, Circut Sat, RR sun, and Crit monday. come out to watch or we are still looking for course marshalls.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Excellent advice.

sbs gives good advice.

I ended up riding Emerald and Howelson on one day then did the resort on the second day. If you need any bike related items check out Orange Peel. They are a very friendly and knowledgable shop.

little mad riding hood
    Jun 2004
    Friday afternoon; ride Emerald mt, start at the downtown ski area and go up to the Quarry and then get onto the orton lands and keep turning left till you are ready to go down
    Sat; Get an eary start and ride Mt Werner, depending on how much you want to climb the top can be reached in less than an hour (if you are super fast) it takes me 1:10. Mt View leads off the backside to the Divide and is great at the four way turn north to Buff pass, or south to Rabbit ears or get a shuttle to the top of Rabbit ears to recreate the Livestrong ride (PM me for shulttle details)
    Sunday; Take a short drive to Seedhouse road, and hit Coulton Creek, to Scott's run to Diamond Park, Divide trail back to seedhouse then try the South Fork trail(Burn Ridge) back to car watch out for logging operations on Burn ridge.
    Monday; Hot springs Mad Creek, Red dirt ride from town and take in all the trails just north of town or Spring creek can be a shorter option if you have to get back to the downhill traffic jam into denver.
    hi sbs, and thanks, this is great!!
    If you have time to spare, the Steamboat Springs Stage Race is happening all weekend with four stages of road racing, TT friday, Circut Sat, RR sun, and Crit monday. come out to watch or we are still looking for course marshalls.
    We're actually going up with our teammates who are all doing SSSR. We both elected not to do it this year and take the MTBs instead to ride trails and do team support. We are both fighting back from being sick and/or injured for six months straight, besides which I won the lanterne rouge in the women's race last year and the novelty's kinda worn off if you know what I'm saying. Maybe next year if I'm racing I will do what I can to help you guys "sponsor" a women's 3/35+ field (maybe run concurrent with the older Masters' men or something), because trust me racing 4 days straight with the pro girls when you're both old and mediocre kind of sucks, actually.

Cycling, FTW!!
    What he said, but park at Diamond Park trailhead by Seedhouse campground and do the loop counterclockwise. Throw in an out-n-back on Pearl lake trail instead of south fork.

The logging operation is active between Seedhouse campground and the Burn Ridge trailhead so you definitely can not get to the South Fork trail from seedhouse.

Also, as far as I understand there is a temporary closure on the entire South Fork trail and it is illegal to be in the area on foot or bike until October 30th.

The HPBE ranger district has a closure hotline set up with current road and trail info. 970-870-2140
    "When you pay $340 to do a 24 hour race you'll only have enough money to eat mustard sandwiches the rest of the year." -TD

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast