mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Steamboat Springs next week

hope this is the right forum for this.

I'm going out to steamboat springs with my family next week, for some skiing/snowboarding, but the snow reports aren't looking to great. That said, I am wondering if anybody knows of a place to rent a fat bike and ride around, and also where would be fun riding? I'd like to take it out on some forest roads, but i wouldn't be against just exploring the town a bit more via bike.

Also, I think i read on moots website that they do factory tours. is that worth going to or not?

appreciate any help

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Both Ski Haus and Orange Peel have the wide rimmed mtbikes for rent, until we get more snow the riding on emerald is exceptional. Either OP or SHaus can give you directions to Emerald. As for exploring town, the bike path and most of our roads as clear, for now, new snow could come anytime and change the riding dynamic. As for riding on forest roads. if you get a bike and conditions don't change, I've had good luck riding some of the snowmobile trails that get groomed north of Hans Peak and Seedhouse road. As for Moots' tour, if you are here and have never seen the operation of a top class bike factory the tour is well worth the time, Call first to find out when it's offered. The Factory is quite impressive, and the sales floor is stocked with $200,000 worth of Ti bikes. (drool) Kent's place (Eriksen Cycles) behind Orange Peel is also great to check out, He is still building custom Ti bikes one at a time with a small staff in the original Moots location. His small custom shop is a nice contrast to the huge Moots factory.

PS; Steamboat is on the Western Slope, but I will post across forum lines, enjoy your trip.

mtbr member
    Sbsbiker,
    Any new info on directional/lift-serviced trails at the ski area for this coming summer?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker View Post
    Both Ski Haus and Orange Peel have the wide rimmed mtbikes for rent, until we get more snow the riding on emerald is exceptional. Either OP or SHaus can give you directions to Emerald. As for exploring town, the bike path and most of our roads as clear, for now, new snow could come anytime and change the riding dynamic. As for riding on forest roads. if you get a bike and conditions don't change, I've had good luck riding some of the snowmobile trails that get groomed north of Hans Peak and Seedhouse road. As for Moots' tour, if you are here and have never seen the operation of a top class bike factory the tour is well worth the time, Call first to find out when it's offered. The Factory is quite impressive, and the sales floor is stocked with $200,000 worth of Ti bikes. (drool) Kent's place (Eriksen Cycles) behind Orange Peel is also great to check out, He is still building custom Ti bikes one at a time with a small staff in the original Moots location. His small custom shop is a nice contrast to the huge Moots factory.

PS; Steamboat is on the Western Slope, but I will post across forum lines, enjoy your trip.
    Thanks for the advice. I will probably check out Emerald assuming that there isn't more snow. If thats the case i'll stick to the ski trails anyways. Are the trails clear enough to ride on just a regular mountain bike even? I looked up some stuff on Emerald, and it seems relatively tame. I'm an intermediate mountain biker, and I am comfortable walking things that are out of my skill level, but really what I am worried about is my fitness up that high. I'm basically at sea level here, so that will be a new challenge.

I appreciate the advice, and I might be sending you a pm with other questions as the trip gets closer if you don't mind.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Sbsbiker,
    Any new info on directional/lift-serviced trails at the ski area for this coming summer?
    I know some (2?) are built and word is they are sick fun. One you can see under our 19in "base" as you ride up the gondola. I've heard that other DH trail work isn't happening but I don't really folllow the DH scene so all I hear is third hand rumors.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pecsokak View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I will probably check out Emerald assuming that there isn't more snow. If thats the case i'll stick to the ski trails anyways. Are the trails clear enough to ride on just a regular mountain bike even? I looked up some stuff on Emerald, and it seems relatively tame. I'm an intermediate mountain biker, and I am comfortable walking things that are out of my skill level, but really what I am worried about is my fitness up that high. I'm basically at sea level here, so that will be a new challenge.

I appreciate the advice, and I might be sending you a pm with other questions as the trip gets closer if you don't mind.
    PM or post here.