mtbr member

Steamboat Springs on Labor Day weekend

I'll be in Steamboat next week for Labor Day weekend and wanted to know what the must-ride trails are in the area?!?

Also, are there any riders that would like to go on a ride on Fri, Sat or Sun?
    I'm coming from Texas and am not familiar with Steamboat, have ridden in Fruita and Moab before though.

Any advice would be welcome, I really appreciate it!!

-Txholland

Except when I'm driving
    Mar 2012
    I rode up there last weekend. If you have two vehicles or have someone willing to drop you off at the top of Rabbit Ears Pass and ride the Continental Divide Trail, that would be my recomendation. You start from Rabbit Ears Mountain area, there is a campground, and head north toward Buffalo Pass. You can either drop down from the top of Mount Werner and ride the resort stuff or keep going north to Buffalo Pass and head down from there. Nothing overly technical or demanding, but it sure is nice up there. I'd get a map.
    I'm bored and at work or else I would be riding

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The trails on Emerald mountain are very fun and right in town. The Steamboat Stinger race course is a fun loop to take on Emerald. Have a look at the map here - http://www.honeystinger.com/images/map_thumb.png.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jw06 View Post
    The trails on Emerald mountain are very fun and right in town. The Steamboat Stinger race course is a fun loop to take on Emerald. Have a look at the map here - http://www.honeystinger.com/images/map_thumb.png.
    How many miles is that?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    25 miles....you can add more also. Here is another map:

Steamboat Bike Town USA | Front Side Trails

You should also be able to pick up a trail map at the local bike shops.

mtbr member
    Sweet. I have lived here 7 years and I have yet to ride Steamboat.

mtbr member
    I'm in steamboat this entire week, if anyone could get out this week for a ride, I'd love the company! I can actually ride Friday morning if you're interested TxHolland. Email me at abishop1010@gmail.com. I'll be riding every day this week.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the info! Just got back from a nice mountain bike trip to Austin and Waco here in Texas. The Continental Divide Trail is high on my list, want to do that ride on Friday, element1? I will email you.
    I'm planning to do 2 more rides on Saturday and Sunday, probably Emerald Mountain and another one. Can't wait to ride here!

misanthrope
    +1 re Emerald Mountain system. Really high quality trails. The Stinger course (or some approximation) would be a great intro to the area.

mtbr member
    Just did Stinger course today. way fun!

mtbr member
    Scotts run is great. Its up in the seedhouse area north of town.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Got Strava? This is one of my favorites
    Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Colton,Scott,divide,burn ridge,south fork near Steamboat Springs | Times and Records | Strava
    Coulton Creek, Scott's Run, Divide, Burn Ridge, South Fork.

lucky enough
    Gee not many people use Strava up there!?
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Roadies mostly use Strava up here, check out some of the segments southwest of Steamboat, lots of action on the roads, with USPC Pro riders as well as SSSR riders asking top spots. That route gets little traffic, so even less Strava traffic. Makes for great riding, when I rode this route, I saw less than 3 people over the whole ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker View Post
    Got Strava? This is one of my favorites
    Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Colton,Scott,divide,burn ridge,south fork near Steamboat Springs | Times and Records | Strava
    Coulton Creek, Scott's Run, Divide, Burn Ridge, South Fork.
    I'm planning to ride this tomorrow, is this a clockwise or counter-clockwise ride? Where did you start exactly? Is is easy to follow for an out-of-towner? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I ride it clockwise. Park at the South Fork trailhead, off the road to Coulton creek campground. Climb up Coulton,Creek trail, it crosses a couple of logging roads, watch for the connector trail to Scotts run. I missed this turn the 1st time, ride down the cconnector to Scotts Run, and then climb Scotts run to Diamond Park. Once on Diamond park road, follow it down toward Seed house, it turns into Lost Dog rd, and get onto the Divide trail just after the bridge. The Divide trail starts up in Diamond park, but the bri. e is out and the trail from Diamond park to the crossing is overgrown, has a steep river crossing and lots of logs down. Follow Divide trail to Seedhouse. On Seedhouse trun left, ride 1mi, look for the road to Burn ridge on the right(only rd) climb 2mi to Burn Ridge trailhead and follow this trail back down to your car. It truns into The South Fork trail at some point, but i dont know where.

I have a hard time judgeing how easy or hard it is to follow this route as i first rode it 15 years ago, and know the area quite well. I would suggest a map, as there isnt much out there and a wrong trun up in diamond park can easily put you 40+ miles from your car.

This is great trail without the huge climbs and dh most CO rides have, enjoy the ride

Also notI rode this Strava alone, in a group, or with my wife its a 4hr ride. Be prepared

mtbr member
    I ride it clockwise. Park at the South Fork trailhead, off the road to Coulton creek campground. Climb up Coulton,Creek trail, it crosses a couple of logging roads, watch for the connector trail to Scotts run. I missed this turn the 1st time, ride down the cconnector to Scotts Run, and then climb Scotts run to Diamond Park. Once on Diamond park road, follow it down toward Seed house, it turns into Lost Dog rd, and get onto the Divide trail just after the bridge. The Divide trail starts up in Diamond park, but the bri. e is out and the trail from Diamond park to the crossing is overgrown, has a steep river crossing and lots of logs down. Follow Divide trail to Seedhouse. On Seedhouse trun left, ride 1mi, look for the road to Burn ridge on the right(only rd) climb 2mi to Burn Ridge trailhead and follow this trail back down to your car. It truns into The South Fork trail at some point, but i dont know where.

I have a hard time judgeing how easy or hard it is to follow this route as i first rode it 15 years ago, and know the area quite well. I would suggest a map, as there isnt much out there and a wrong trun up in diamond park can easily put you 40+ miles from your car.

This is great trail without the huge climbs and dh most CO rides have, enjoy the ride

Also notI rode this Strava alone, in a group, or with my wife its a 4hr ride. Be prepared
    Thanks! I'll be doing this Sunday morning.

mtbr member
    Get the sky terrain map steamboat/mt zirkel map it has all these trails and is excellent. I did a ride similar to sbsbikers but counter clockwise. Started at seed house up the divide trail /Wyoming left to diamond park th to Scott's run and then I think down hinman back to seed house road make a left and back to the car. I remember hinman being a ripping downhill through aspens back to the road. One of my favorite parts.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Txholland View Post
    Thanks! I'll be doing this Sunday morning.
    So, how was it, or are you still out there lost in Big Red Park?

mtbr member
    What a great weekend! I ended up riding Continental Divide Trail twice, Friday and Sunday! One time from Rabbit Ears pass towards the top of Mount Werner and down from there and the other time I rode north with a friend to Buffalo Pass and down on Buffalo Pass road. What a great downhill is this! I liked this route better than Mount Werner personally.
    On Saturday we did Emerald Mountain but only for a little bit cause there was a race going on it was a kinda busy. We did Springcreek Trail instead.

sbsbiker, I wasn't able to ride your route unfortunately cause my friend really wanted to do the Divide trail but I'll be back soon in Steamboat to ride that one as well. Thank you again for the detailed info.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Txholland; 09-07-2013 at 09:18 PM.

mtbr member
    So, how was it, or are you still out there lost in Big Red Park?
    I wasn't able to ride your route unfortunately cause my friend really wanted to do the Divide trail but I'll be back soon in Steamboat to ride that one as well. Thank you again for the detailed info.