mtbr member

... and if we just ... Steamboat riders ?

Looking for local Steamboat riders this weekend for trail riding. I brought my Mukluk and would enjoy some local knowledge ! With the skiing needing a little boost I thought I'd give the single track a try, I rode Emerald today and had a blast.

Loser
    Mar 2008
    I'm not local but I always enjoy riding the Spring Creek trail up there.

mtbr member
    Emerald. Lots of miles, and close to Double Z
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

MTB instead of Ski?

Got some friends in Steamboat till the end of February. I'm heading up from the Front Range ostensibly to ski with them. But given the snow conditions, this thread has me thinking maybe I should bring my bike. What are the trail conditions like?

mtbr member
    I rode Emerald againg today, a much longer ride. Lots of single track in great condition and a fair amount of riders to boot.

The locals are turning to riding because of the less than stellar ski conditions. The mountain is OK, just no new snow in a while and with sunny conditions it's best to ski when it warms up a bit from the cold nights.

I decided to pass on the skiing this weekend and bike instead. There are other trails and skiing up on Rabbit Ears that are in good shape I am told.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Emerald is good, I don't know anyone going up north on the snowmobile trails but they should be packed. Been riding up the road to the quarry and hitting BlairWitch, MGM, Larry's,Eye2Eyeand Molly's. It's a good hour or so of riding but you could always do extra laps. The road is well packed and I've seen tracks up the laneopain.

We have a mtbike race scheduled for April up on rabbit ears, but I'm unsure if that loop is groomed now or not. It'll be held in conjunction with a new 50k xcski race.

Colorado Coureur des Bois

Snow unicycle class also.

Ps many locals I talk to say they are riding not cause the mountain's conditions suck, just that it's a novelty to be able to ride these trails this time of year, usually we have so much soft snow the trails are too soft to ride. Plus, most of us are total snow snobs that are hard to motivate unless it's a 10 in powder day, so if it hasn't snow in a day or three, might as well ride the bike.

danaco
    Thanks for sharing the good info. This was Saturday on Emerald.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Steamboat riders ?-2012-02-04_14-32-44_529.jpg  

mtbr member
    Slightly OT post, but I found this on a friend's FB wall. This was up on Rabbit Ears this past wknd.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Steamboat riders ?-snow-art.jpg  

Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    That's awesome ! I first thought it was wall or gift wrapping paper ! I wish I had known, I would have joined them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    See how bored we get when it doesn't snow?