Now older but less slow!

Steamboat in July?

My family are about to book a cabin in Steamboat for Mid July for a week's get away. Considering the snowpack this year, can I expect the higher trails to be clear by then? I generally considered the rule of thumb to be after July 4th is okay but isn't it a bumper snowpack year?

I assume I would be better in early August but that may not be possible.

Now older but less slow!
    I should add that we will be renting up by Steamboat Lake which is actually about an 1hr north of Steamboat Springs and given that this is more a family getaway rather than a "daddy goes biking" week what are the furthest northern trails that I should be exploring on the basis that I will have limited riding time?

mtbr member
    While Sb has done well this year for snow they really are about average and barring any huge snowfall this spring, July should be fine.

One Cog Short

Steamboat in July?

I was riding in Steamboat in late May last year...you'll be fine by July. I have only ridden trails within a 10 mile radius of the town...so not much help on trails an hour north.

mtbr member
    K,
    Look up Seedhouse Rd trails. It's right by Clark, near the lake. And, mid July "should" be okay. But if you're up that way, look to do the CTD from Rabbit Ears over to the ski resort down, or Fish Creek Canyon down...one of the best rides up that way. If you come down the ski resort, you can go catch the southern side then ride back up a bit to catch their new "DH" trail down (your TBLTc would do just fine on their DH trail). But if you prefer a bit of slower/techier riding, Fish Creek is the more challenging down.

Edit: Oh, I think you can ride up Hans Peak too.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Now older but less slow!
    Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    I've noted that one. I should be able to ride that straight from the cabin (if we manage to get it - it still shows availability but you never know). Isn't it pretty much jeep road to the top?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNormsk View Post

I've noted that one. I should be able to ride that straight from the cabin (if we manage to get it - it still shows availability but you never know). Isn't it pretty much jeep road to the top?
    Some good stuff around Pearl Lake not far from where you will be based.

Front Range MTB: Jerry and Wally's Dyrty Steamboat

mtbr member

Re: Steamboat in July?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNormsk View Post

Yup, but still worth going up there.

Sent from my MyTouch 4G Slide using Tapatalk
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member

Re: Steamboat in July?

Quote Originally Posted by steadyflow View Post
    Some good stuff around Pearl Lake not far from where you will be based.

Front Range MTB: Jerry and Wally's Dyrty Steamboat
    Hey, did you pick up that Tallboy LT? If you did, whadoya think of it; have you been out on it yet?

╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Hey, did you pick up that Tallboy LT? If you did, whadoya think of it; have you been out on it yet?

Ended up going for the Yeti should have it by Friday at the latest. Liked both bikes, the Yeti just fit better and was faster climbing for me.

mtbr member
    K,
    Look up Seedhouse Rd trails. It's right by Clark, near the lake. And, mid July "should" be okay. But if you're up that way, look to do the CTD from Rabbit Ears over to the ski resort down, or Fish Creek Canyon down...one of the best rides up that way. If you come down the ski resort, you can go catch the southern side then ride back up a bit to catch their new "DH" trail down (your TBLTc would do just fine on their DH trail). But if you prefer a bit of slower/techier riding, Fish Creek is the more challenging down.

Correction to the above statement, 'CDT' Continental Divide Trail

Want to vent?
    123 inches up top as of Saturday. But we are only at 300+ inches for the season so far. We have been in melt down since mid February. In any case, even in a record year I have ridden the CDT(up high) in mid July.

Hahns peak is a jeep road indeed.

In my opinion Seedhouse road has the best "trail system" in North Routt. The trailhead areas are around 10 miles south of where you will be staying.
    "I'm supa-fly TNT, I'm tha guns of the navarone!"

Now older but less slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by The SS Boz View Post
    123 inches up top as of Saturday. But we are only at 300+ inches for the season so far. We have been in melt down since mid February. In any case, even in a record year I have ridden the CDT(up high) in mid July.

Hahns peak is a jeep road indeed.

In my opinion Seedhouse road has the best "trail system" in North Routt. The trailhead areas are around 10 miles south of where you will be staying.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Now older but less slow!
    Turns out that we couldn't get the cabin we wanted after all so we headed south and got something near Wolf Creek Ski resort instead. So this summer I'll be exploring biking in the Rio Grande area between Pogosa Springs and South Fork. There appears to be a bunch of trails in the area though nothing that stands out as a must do, but this site has some details: Mtn Bike

Unbelievably I turned down the chance of a cabin just minutes away from Monarch Crest Well, perhaps another year....

mtbr member
    I know there is riding down there. Ask around at the local shops for the beta.