ewl
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Steamboat conditions?

Headed up to Steamboat this coming weekend and wondering how conditions are looking. Has anything dried out enough yet or is it gonna be road riding for me?

Any info on how the trails are looking is appreciated.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ewl
    Headed up to Steamboat this coming weekend and wondering how conditions are looking. Has anything dried out enough yet or is it gonna be road riding for me?

Any info on how the trails are looking is appreciated.

Thanks.
    Was up there weekend before last for Where The Hell is Maybell ride. Yeah, you'll be road riding...

Who said Punisher?
    Just to give you an idea the 12 hour race up there was postponed till August! My friends up at steamboat lake say no way for a good bit still!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Snotel says Rabbit Ears still has 4 FEET of snow.

Cycling, FTW!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Snotel says Rabbit Ears still has 4 FEET of snow.
    Snotel on Buff pass still says over 9 FEET of snow.

Hot springs trail was ridable last week and should be great by the weekend. I'm guessing that you can get pretty far up mad creek too. I don't know how the connector is over to Red Dirt trail, but I saw a big horse trailer parked at the Red Dirt trailhead on Sunday... so it must be dry if people are taking horses on it, right?

Also, the mountain access road is dry up to the top of the gondola, but don't ride that during business hours because the traffic makes it dangerous and its illegal to bike. Its the perfect evening ride to go up and watch the sun set over the valley. A road or cross bike would work ok if you dont mind getting it dirty.

Anybody been on Emerald? I haven't heard any updates from over there in over a week. Hopefully by the weekend the Bluff loops will be getting dry.

But if you wanted to do the wise thing, I'd say bring your touring set up. Seasons like this done come around very often.
    North Routt on Sunday.
    "When you pay $340 to do a 24 hour race you'll only have enough money to eat mustard sandwiches the rest of the year." -TD

mtbr member
    Spring creek is open if you know the secret ditch trail around the first couple of bridges, and you have your waders on. Mad creek is open to the mad house, hot springs is open, lower half of lower bear is open. I would assume that you could get a good ways up red drit trail, but not over the top to link into mad creek. I have stayed off Emerald, but I know blackmeir road is open, and some of Lupine is dry, but other parts have puddles/swampy sections, I would bet the nordic trails are dry except for the runoff puddles. I have no recon on the rest of the trails on the orton property.

Nice shot Marco, where was that taken? Hans peak? It makes it look like we have real mountains up here.

ewl
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkoInTheBoat
    But if you wanted to do the wise thing, I'd say bring your touring set up. Seasons like this done come around very often.
    North Routt on Sunday.
    Thanks for the info everyone. I was thinking of the skis as a plan B - sounds more fun than road biking for sure and that picture Marko, looks incredible for late May.

Do I dare ask for any spots that are still holding decent snow?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by ewl

Do I dare ask for any spots that are still holding decent snow?
    Ski to 10,000 feet.

Marvel at the plethora of ski lines available.

HTH.

Cycling, FTW!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker
    Nice shot Marco, where was that taken? Hans peak? It makes it look like we have real mountains up here.
    Real mountains in Steamboat. LOL.

We were on Buck mtn. up above Ray Heid's old hunting camp that everybody got trapped at after the blowdown, looking south at Big Agnes and the Sawtooth range.

ewl, bring your ski's, and you bike, there are plenty of options. It sounds like I'm splittin' up Hahns on Sunday morning if you want to come. Otherwise there is lots of skiing at the ski area, or right off the highway on Rabbit ears pass.
    "When you pay $340 to do a 24 hour race you'll only have enough money to eat mustard sandwiches the rest of the year." -TD

mtbr member
    New Update: Yesterday I rode all of hot Springs Mad Creek, Red Dirt, some mud from drainage, but easily avoidable. Heard that on Emerald, Lupine is dry, as well as Larry's, and Molly's. MGM below the pond is wet and had lots of running water and mud, above the stock pond everything is still muddy. The lower nordic trails are mixed, dry and muddy, but those are less than pristene singletrack, and the mud is easily crossed.

One further note to any MTBers in Steamboat, the BLM is having another meeting concerning the management of the 4000 acres of Emerald Mt they purchased from the State Land Board, at the new comunity center from 6 to 8. Everyone interested in the future of mountain biking on this property should attend to give input.

ewl
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkoInTheBoat

ewl, bring your ski's, and you bike, there are plenty of options. It sounds like I'm splittin' up Hahns on Sunday morning if you want to come.
    Marko, thanks for the offer - Sunday morning is dedicated to herding the kids while Mom runs the race. Hopefully I'll get out for some fun tomorrow and Sunday afternoon.

Thanks again for everyone's feedback.