Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    backwoods and backwards

Steamboat/ Avon Vacation Ideas

Wifey and I are coming out in a couple of weeks. I need to know what rides are on the "not to be missed" list? I've been mislead by guidebooks in the past, so I'm counting on you all for the local knowledge!
    We're sound techy xc riders from CT good for rides up to 4 hours or so. We plan on riding every other day, and plan on paying for shuttles here and there to gain the vertical ( i live at 500' ). I've been told that it will be sinful to miss this chance to do Monarch Crest. What else?
    I'm also open to whatever suggestions you have for were to eat and what to do on the off days. Thankyou for any help you can give. Ken
    Live the life you love!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Are you staying in both Steamboat and Avon? If so, how long are you staying in each place?

Colorado
    PM SkaredShtles, he's an expert on everything.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drop the Seat
    WTF?

backwoods and backwards
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Are you staying in both Steamboat and Avon? If so, how long are you staying in each place?
    Yep... scored a week at each place ( playing the timeshare trade game to our advantage) In Steamboat we're actually at the mountain so will probably ride there mostly unless you all tell us otherwise. Second week is in Avon, where I have little planned out yet. Thanks
    Live the life you love!

Cycling, FTW!!
    First off, buy this map when you get to town, its available at a few local bike shops.

Where to eat- Creekside Cafe.

Where NOT to shop- Ski Haus.

Trails not to miss. -you gotta spend a few evenings on Emerald mountain, maps are available at parks & rec. The ski area trails are also fun to ride first thing in the morning if its not too dusty.

-Wyoming trail from RE pass to Mountain View and down the ski area is a great intermediate ride, but it is pretty tough to do without a shuttle. This ride can be made advanced if you go down Fish Creek Falls instead of across Mountain View. As of the 22nd, things are still sloppy on the Wyoming trail and there are a bunch of trees down along the way.

-Hot Springs, MRP (not on the map) are great, Mad Creek and Red Dirt make for a sorta fun loop too.

-North Routt day, you gotta do one of those. Look up Seedhouse road on your map and make a loop that includes Scotts Run.

That should be a good start.
    "When you pay $340 to do a 24 hour race you'll only have enough money to eat mustard sandwiches the rest of the year." -TD

backwoods and backwards
    Thanks guys. I'll take all the info I can get from you. I've seen the stuff published about riding my area an half of it is pure crap. I've bought copies of MTBike Summit County and Vail Singletrack and Steamboat Singletracks, but I'm way more comfortable hearing it from you. Ken
    Live the life you love!

mtbr member
    ...also check on some South Routt trails.

mtbr member
    To eat in and around Avon...
    The GasHouse in Edwards is a wild game restaurant with some of the best burgers Ive ever had...pretty low key place-
    Ti Amo is Eagle-Vail- A local's fav. italian rest.- The prices and the food blow anything in Vail out of the water- Its a nicer dinner and if you get a chance you wont regret it...my fav. rest. in the valley far and away-
    Moes BBQ is Eagle and Vail- Really good lunch at a really good price- Alabama style BBQ-
    The Gore Range Brewery in Edwards- The food is alright and the service is pretty bad (Not sure why I even brought it up now) but they do have a pretty cool patio and the vibe in the summer is really chill- Last time I was there lots of people on bikes- The Spinach Artichoke dip is the best thing on the menu-
    Fiesta Jalisco in Avon- Really good mexican...really reasonable price- Theres also a little Sushi place right next to it if thats your thing...not mine but people say its really good-
    Pazzo's Pizza in Avon- The best pizza in the vally in my opinion- Its in the middle of Avon and its also really reasonable...eat there 2 or 3 times a week-
    My boss is coming so gotta run but Ill get back and let ya know some of my fav. trails in this area- Hope that helps
    "The work stinks but the fringe benefits are great"

Cycling, FTW!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y
    ...also check on some South Routt trails.
    Beta please?
    I would love to check out some riding areas other than Lynx pass. Any good trails near the flat tops?

The only thing I have rode in South Routt is Morrison Divide trail. Its great!, for an ATV trail.
    "When you pay $340 to do a 24 hour race you'll only have enough money to eat mustard sandwiches the rest of the year." -TD

mtbr member
    I don't have anything more to offer on Steamboat, other than you must go to the Strawberry Park hot springs. For racey action, go at night! Actually, I heard the trails on Howelson Hill are pretty decent. Anyone know?

As for Avon, check out the trails on Beaver Creek mtn. It's been awhile since I've ridden there, but someone posted pics up here not long ago. Buff, skinny singletrack winding through the aspens. Good stuff. HIt up the Beaver Creek Chop House at the base for some really good food.

If you're not into Mexican food, you probably should get into it for your stay in CO. It's hands down the most reliably good and decently priced food in the state. I second Fiesta Jalisco in Avon. Get anything smoothered in green chile. You won't be dissapointed. (I am currently in a state w/o decent mexican or green chile and I miss it so!)

There are a few good trails around Minturn (little town between Vail and Avon). Also, if you have time, head up to Camp Hale near Leadville and pay hommage to the original 10th Mtn Division that fought in WWII. Pretty amazing stuff they did that long ago. Leadville has plenty of trails, too.

Yes you should do Monarch Crest and/or other trails in that area. They are plentyful and plenty awesome.
    Biker? I don't even know her.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

When you're in the Avon area...

check out Two Elks trail. Any local shop will have the 411. You start at the top of Vail Pass, finish in Minturn with a run down through the back bowls of Vail in between. It's a bit of a grunt to get back there but well worth it. Good luck.

mtbr member

Howelsen - YES

Quote Originally Posted by SylentK
    I don't have anything more to offer on Steamboat, other than you must go to the Strawberry Park hot springs. For racey action, go at night! Actually, I heard the trails on Howelson Hill are pretty decent. Anyone know?

As for Avon, check out the trails on Beaver Creek mtn. It's been awhile since I've ridden there, but someone posted pics up here not long ago. Buff, skinny singletrack winding through the aspens. Good stuff. HIt up the Beaver Creek Chop House at the base for some really good food.

If you're not into Mexican food, you probably should get into it for your stay in CO. It's hands down the most reliably good and decently priced food in the state. I second Fiesta Jalisco in Avon. Get anything smoothered in green chile. You won't be dissapointed. (I am currently in a state w/o decent mexican or green chile and I miss it so!)

There are a few good trails around Minturn (little town between Vail and Avon). Also, if you have time, head up to Camp Hale near Leadville and pay hommage to the original 10th Mtn Division that fought in WWII. Pretty amazing stuff they did that long ago. Leadville has plenty of trails, too.

Yes you should do Monarch Crest and/or other trails in that area. They are plentiful and plenty awesome.
    Definitely head up Howelsen Hill - I have sent many, many new people to the area up there and they always come back amazed at how much riding is up there and smack in the middle of Steamboat.

Also, not to start a flame war, but Ski Haus is just fine as a bike shop as well as the other two - Bike Kare and Orange Peel - I have friends that work at all three and, as people are different, so are bike shops and people's perception of same.
    The reason dogs have so many friends is that they wag their tail instead of their tongues.

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by steve47co1
    Definitely head up Howelsen Hill - I have sent many, many new people to the area up there and they always come back amazed at how much riding is up there and smack in the middle of Steamboat.

Also, not to start a flame war, but Ski Haus is just fine as a bike shop as well as the other two - Bike Kare and Orange Peel - I have friends that work at all three and, as people are different, so are bike shops and people's perception of same.
    Steve, have you ridden Muddy Slide?
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Yes, but

............there is a much better ride right across the valley called Rock Creek. Muddy Slide has become an ATV trail as shown in the photo and it is just 7 miles up and 7 miles down - rather dull.

Rock Creek is an excellent ride, combining climbing and descending, several stream crossings, a high alpine valley, and beautiful pine needle singletrack.

Let me know when you are coming and I will give you a tour.
    The reason dogs have so many friends is that they wag their tail instead of their tongues.

backwoods and backwards
    ............there is a much better ride right across the valley called Rock Creek. Muddy Slide has become an ATV trail as shown in the photo and it is just 7 miles up and 7 miles down - rather dull.

Rock Creek is an excellent ride, combining climbing and descending, several stream crossings, a high alpine valley, and beautiful pine needle singletrack.

Booo..atv trails, hurray for pine needle singletrack! Hurray also for good cheap Mexican food as it pairs so well with cold beer.

Someone had suggested Orange Peel as the place to ship the bikes to and from. Still haven't decided between the 4" bike or the 6" bike. I'm leaning to the big bike, suffering on the climbs, and laughing my ass off on the downs. Tell me now if I'm way off base about that.

Steve, thanks for the offer. We will definately take you up on it. We're there August 10-23. I'll sort through all this info, try to have a plan in place by next weekend, then shoot you a PM.

You all are great, keep it coming...Ken
    Live the life you love!

mtbr member

Bikes

I only have a 6" bike here but it is not necessary. A XC bike will do you well here, especially if you are not used to altitude - all rides begin at 6800 ft. and go up to 9500 ft.

Whichever bike shop you choose, call them first and ask when they can do it - it is the busiest time of year here for bike shops.

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by Drop the Seat
    Agreed, I'd trust that fools trail recommendations anytime.

+1(million) on 2 Elks. Try anything along the Colorado trail, too

Lots of random trails to the north of Vail that include riding some dirt roads. Be sure to get out without an agenda at least one day, just rollin.

Lynx pass area has a loop, Gore Range bike loop, I beleive. Didn't get to hit it as my bike fell off my rack on that trip. meh, prolly an ATV trail...
    Last edited by WKD-RDR; 07-25-2008 at 02:22 PM.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Where is this one? I live in Georgia, but will be in the area in August. I know the Seedhouse trails somewhat (and love 'em). Where is Rock Creek, down 131 somewhere? How many singletrack miles?

Thanks!

Cycling, FTW!!

Steve, is Rock Creek singletrack? and have you tried Tepee creek? I have never checked out the riding on that side of the road after discovering that Morrison Divide trail is rather dull.. But at least the scenery isn't too bad. I thought it was pretty cool to check out muddy slide and you get a nice view of Eagles Nest peak in the Gore range near the top of one of the many climbs.

Cycling, FTW!!
    I don't want to start a flame war either, I would just rather see people visit one of the bike shops that has more of a local vibe.

I spend money at the Haus a few times a year, definitely on my birthday! But I don't like the idea of supporting a shop that marks up prices above retail so they can put the items "on sale". Not that they do that very often, but I have seen it done in the fall with bike tires. They bumped the price of Exiwolfs up by $10 bucks and then put them on sale. Classy.

Just go to Orange Peel. Nuff said.

mtbr member

Yup

Quote Originally Posted by MarkoInTheBoat
    Steve, is Rock Creek singletrack? and have you tried Tepee creek? I have never checked out the riding on that side of the road after discovering that Morrison Divide trail is rather dull.. But at least the scenery isn't too bad. I thought it was pretty cool to check out muddy slide and you get a nice view of Eagles Nest peak in the Gore range near the top of one of the many climbs.
    Mostly singletrack.

There are 4 different ways to do Rock Creek. #1 and #2 are either do it clockwise or counterclockwise - one route makes it a loop.

The 3rd way is to drive over Gore Pass from Toponas to Kremmling and right after the turn to the left that leads you to Morrison Creek, look for a left turn that indicates Rock Creek. This will take you into a campground from which you can pick up the Tepee Creek Trail, which will intersect with the RC Trail and you can either merge onto the clockwise or counterclockwise direction above by going right for CC or left for Clockwise.

The 4th way is to get to the Lagunita Lake restrooms whichever road you take from Steamboat - from Stagecoach or around through Toponas - just past Lagunita Lake to the south of the restrooms is road to the left which will take you to a sharp uphill right turn - park on the left in the wide spot and go across Tepee Creek and right uphill on singletrack. When you intersect the road, go left for clockwise or right for counterclockwise per #1 & #2 above.

It is a great ride however you do it; about 14 miles in length.

mtbr member

Upset Not true

Quote Originally Posted by MarkoInTheBoat
    I don't want to start a flame war either, I would just rather see people visit one of the bike shops that has more of a local vibe.

I spend money at the Haus a few times a year, definitely on my birthday! But I don't like the idea of supporting a shop that marks up prices above retail so they can put the items "on sale". Not that they do that very often, but I have seen it done in the fall with bike tires. They bumped the price of Exiwolfs up by $10 bucks and then put them on sale. Classy.

Just go to Orange Peel. Nuff said.
    I work at Ski Haus in the bike area from time to time when they need extra help and what you said above is categorically untrue. The shipment they may have received from WTB may have cost them more (wholesale) so they were priced higher (retail); I am sure it was a coincidence of putting them on sale was more of a function of the slow fall season to turn inventory into cash when customers are scarce.

I also know Brock, JR, and Bill at Orange Peel and all the people at Ski/Bike Kare - I stand by my statement that all three are great bike shops - how bout if we let the OP find out which shop suits them best.

backwoods and backwards
    I how bout if we let the OP find out which shop suits them best.
    I know the deal...every shop has it's own feel to it. It's kind of like record shops used to be. I have 4 or5 shops near me that know mtbikes pretty well and have decent tech's. There's only one that I personaly I like, one that I bring beer to when I'm passing by on a friday night even when I don't need work done ( always a good invesment!). If you ask them about a bike, its all tech. If you ask them about a trail or riding, it's all soul.
    The head mechanic once summed up mtbiking saying," there's nothing more fun to do with a bike than riding it through the woods." That realy is all there is to it, the sum of everything said on these boards.( can I get an amen! )The right shop makes it more than business. Props to Seth, Sean, and the Comp Edge crew E Longmeadow MA.
    Live the life you love!

skillz to pay billz
    +1000 strawberry hot springs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast