mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Stealing High Plains

I carry a bike and gear wherever I go. If I can work in a 30 minute ride, I'll "steal" one going to a meeting or coming back. Today, just like a few weeks ago with Coalton, I espied the parking area for High Plains. Hey, I've got 30 minutes...

I stole this ride in many ways: 1) 70 idyllic degrees 2) NO WIND 3) Didn't see anyone. I can imagine it wouldn't have been the same dodging hiker/dog/bikes constantly. 4) This is honest-to-goodness flowy singletrack. Today I just flew, my first time there. 5) Dry but not too dry.

It'd be great if a trail like High Plains just went on and on for 20 miles or so but all too soon I was at the Greenbelt Plateau parking lot, out of time and turned around. When I got back to my truck there was a procession of people heading out onto the trail (but I'd already stolen it).
    Last edited by xcguy; 06-20-2012 at 05:07 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

!Vamos, flaco!
    Very nice.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

fyyff
    I, too, wish High Plains was longer. It'd be swell if it meandered further back into the terrain, and utilized the slopes more, and maybe a couple of bridges ($$) over the draws.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I feel so lucky that it's part of my commute!

Barely ever see anyone in the mornings but the evenings aren't the same.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Commute? Dooood!

Quote Originally Posted by jjonas
    I feel so lucky that it's part of my commute!

Barely ever see anyone in the mornings but the evenings aren't the same.
    Commuting from where to where? I've never had a bike commute.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Standley Lake to Boulder...I used to take the roads (it was quicker but not nearly as much fun)...I wish I could cut hwy 128 out...semis in the morning are no fun.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I know what you mean

Quote Originally Posted by jjonas
    Standley Lake to Boulder...I used to take the roads (it was quicker but not nearly as much fun)...I wish I could cut hwy 128 out...semis in the morning are no fun.
    While I was cruising on the serene singletrack I'd see roadies dodging cars hurtling past them at 60 mph. I liked where I was better.

If you don't mind me saying so that's quite a commute and seemingly a very circuitous route. How long does it take you and what's your season for riding this route? Are you just a closet roadie riding dirt?

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    Are you just a closet roadie riding dirt?
    Isn't that all xc riders?
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

mtbr member

Wink i'd ask for my money back

looks like you use the same defective lens as schnauzers...

-
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

You're right, gotdirt

Had some sweat on the lens. How about this?
    Last edited by xcguy; 06-20-2012 at 05:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    If you don't mind me saying so that's quite a commute and seemingly a very circuitous route. How long does it take you and what's your season for riding this route? Are you just a closet roadie riding dirt?
    LOL! Closet roadie, that's funny...My road bike hasn't been ridden in 2 years...Can't see why I would want to ride it after reading about stories like Officer F#$ker.

My commute is about 18 miles each way and takes about 1.5hrs (30mins on road, 30mins on trail, 30mins on bike paths). Simms->Hwy128->High Plains->Greenbelt/Marshal->S. Boulder Ck Path...It really isn't that circuitous. I can't ride in everyday but I probably average 3 times a week. Good base miles. I'd say the season is probably March/April through Oct/Nov.

Had a nice quiet ride on High Plains this morning...Then on S. Boulder Ck I came across a couple of ladies taking up the whole trail and walking their dog off leash, I slowed down to just about their speed, one of them noticed me and ran to get a hold of her dog. Then the other one (wearing headphones) yells at me, "Ring your bell!" What's wrong with "Good Morning" or "Hello" or "On the Left"?

Old, stale, negative
    HP with no wind, that is a steal....

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

It's like I'm stealin' and cheatin' at the same time

Quote Originally Posted by bstrick
    HP with no wind, that is a steal....
    That whole trail system up there is notorious for windy conditions. The few times I've been there--Coalton, Dowdy Draw, Greenbelt Plateau, now High Plains have all been wind-free. I know my luck is going to catch up to me in some other part of my life.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

XC has taken on a new meaning these days

Quote Originally Posted by Pabs
    Isn't that all xc riders?
    I've always thought of it as riders who enjoy climbing more than descending, singletrack over doubletrack, dirt over pavement, gnarly twisting switchbacks UP, not down, hours of being out on trails that don't need to involve death-defying stunts or drops or () shuttling to make it real. That's what I like, and I have to say I hate road riding. So..xc guy?

Thread Terrorist
    I've always thought of it as riders who enjoy climbing more than descending, singletrack over doubletrack, dirt over pavement, gnarly twisting switchbacks UP, not down, hours of being out on trails that don't need to involve death-defying stunts or drops or () shuttling to make it real. That's what I like, and I have to say I hate road riding. So..xc guy?
    I think Pabs has it out for Certian riders.

I just enjoy a flowy ride with good scenery