Trail Sanitizer

Stealing bikes to sell on Ebay

All I can say is wow. Some guy was (allegedly) trying to recruit homeless people to steal mountain bikes so he could sell them on ebay. Idiot.

DENVER - Police have arrested a man who officers say was recruiting homeless people to steal high-end mountain bikes for his internet business.

[SIZE=2]Police say Duane Bashore planned to disassemble the bikes and sell the parts on EBay. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]
    After hearing reports about Bashore's overtures to homeless people, Denver Police set up a sting. An undercover officer contacted Bashore and told him he had some high end bike parts that he could sell him very cheaply. Police also say the undercover officer was very clear that the bike parts were stolen.

Over a period of three months ending in April, the undercover officer met with Bashore and sold him the supposedly stolen bike parts. After the last purchase, police searched Brashore's home to recover the bike parts and arrested Bashore. He was charged with three counts of theft by receiving related to the purchases of the parts found by the under cover officer.

Police say at this point they are not sure whether or not Bashore ever did succeed in getting a homeless person to steal a bike for him.
    Bashore calls the charge that he was recruiting homeless people to steal for him "ridiculous."

He told 9News he was offering cash to some homeless people, but not for stealing bikes. He said the cash was offered as a reward for the return of his own bike, which he says was stolen around the same time that the investigation against him started.

Bashore did say he made a "mistake" by buying the parts from the undercover officer. The bike parts the officer was offering to Bashore for $20, typically sell for well over $100.
    "Those were the only parts that I did make a mistake and buy . because, basically, he offered them for $20 and it was too good to pass up," Bashore said.

When asked if he bought the parts believing they were stolen, Bashore said he "wasn't sure where they came from."

Bashore said he's never stolen any bikes or bike parts. He says the internet bike part business he was trying to start is no longer operating.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    This dude is probably involved in the theft of my P.2 last year. I saw this newscast, too, and wanted to kick that dip$hit's @ss.

rubber side down
    The asshat who stole my blur last year took it to a pawn shop for some quick cash. But the dumba$$ used his real name on the transaction. So when my blur popped up on Ebay 30 days later, the cops were able to catch the doofus. He actually passed on his plea bargain, and wants a friggin TRIAL. It starts in mid-July. I'm thinking about attending, just so I can look this a$$$ole in the eyes.

Trail Sanitizer
    Quote Originally Posted by russman
    The asshat who (allegedly) stole my blur last year took it to a pawn shop for some quick cash. But the dumba$$ used his real name on the transaction. So when my blur popped up on Ebay 30 days later, the cops were able to catch the doofus. He actually passed on his plea bargain, and wants a friggin TRIAL. It starts in mid-July. I'm thinking about attending, just so I can look this a$$$ole in the eyes.
    Fixed it for ya!

rubber side down
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldozer
    Fixed it for ya!
    Bah. He's still an a$$hat. Allegedly or not. And dumb too.

Trail Sanitizer
    I think modern-day bike thieves should be grouped with old-school horse theives. Death by hanging in the town square at hign noon.