Thread: State Forest

btx
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

State Forest

I've always wanted to explore Colorado State Forest (the badly named state park near cameron pass) but I am really unfond of hiking. Anyone have any MTB experience over there?

slow
    I haven't ridden over there. During a visit to the Moose Visitor Center, however, I had a ranger tell me of quite a bit of riding in the area. Seems they had a map of MTB trails, too. State park website says there are 112 miles of trails for MTB. Some are probably fire roads.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Anyone ever ride the Kelly lake trail or hidden valley trails on the north side of 14 in the CO state forest? Are they any good?

Moderator Moderator
    I've ridden Michigan Ditch Trail to American Lakes Trail many times and it is worth the trip, but the American lakes trail is 6 miles only. You can ride to Thunder Ridge on top of American Lakes (trail to the east when you see the lakes) but you can't go any further as RMNP boundary is below. I ride up there when I want to see Moose, Elk, big sky, etc.

One word of caution: I have been stopped TWICE by know-it-alls on horseback saying it is closed to mountain bikes. After the first time, I literally printed off the page on the state parks website saying bikes are ok. One guy even took my name and number to report me to the "authorities" after I whipped out the page of the website print I showed him. There is some confusion about this trail.

I have never ridden the northwest side of Cameron but I hear there are a lot of trails. A few years back I use to park up at Montgomery Pass and ride long draw road and Glendevey road to train for certain endurance races. Glendevey road even connects with Fedfeather Lakes if you want an all day epic ride, bring your topo map though...getting lost up there could be then end I kid you not. Bug spray...lots of bug spray the mosquito's and biting flys will carry you off if you don't have it.
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    If you want to see moose on your bike ride the Trapp Park trail off of long draw road. The trail is short but fun and beautiful with a short climb in the beginning then its mostly flat and fast and often muddy with several stream crossings. When i was there in early fall a few years ago we saw a bull moose that was about 15 feet tall, then some hikers came running down the trail screaming that they had been charged by a moose. The wilderness boundary skirts the Trapp park trail making it legal to ride there, my guess is that the area was not designated wilderness because it is heavily used by snowmobilers in the winter.

mtbr member
    I just got back from a trip there . We found a few good bits of singletrack but not much. Mostly dirt hippies on quads EVERYWHERE.
    CQUIG