mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Starting in Denver-3 days of riding- suggestions...

4-5 of us are coming in early sept. We will have 3 full days to ride after arriving.Our friend lives in Ft. Collins but he says maybe we start from Denver out of the gate. Hes newer to CO and does not know all the regions yet.

Were looking for xc advanced riding- no DH'ers or big drop riders. No dual sus owners. Technical riding is fine. we are all expert level.

So- looking for reccs for 3 days of riding with 2 end cap days for travel.If we start in Denver should we go to ONE Location or more? i know you can spend 3 days in one place, easily, and get different feels so thats an option we'd consider. I did flagstaff/sedona like that and had some awesome rides in santa fe area the same way and did not make it to taos- but wanted to.

i looked at the maps and driving distances are pretty solid from one spot to the next so minimizing car time would be great. I think we'll have a RV from my friends brother and a minivan/van for the bikes- and tents.

Thanks for the suggestions.
    Last edited by jomissa; 01-31-2010 at 09:10 AM. Reason: title change

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    1st ride Monarch Crest, shuttle ride. Look it up on internet for reservations. Drive to Crested Butte after completing. Two days in Crested Butte. Doctors Park and Deer Creek.

Does Not Belong on a Bike
    May want to take it easy if you are east coast and never been to the area. Altitude can turn that magical three days of riding into one followed by two days altitude sickness if you go all out.
    This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!

ride
    2nd all that. I'd prep for 3 days in one general region over trying to drive all over. You'll appreciate coming back from your ride and being able to chill out and get rested.

Monarch and Crested Butte would be doable, there's tons of riding in Summit County. I dunno, the list goes on. You're pretty much good for anything here in September from desert to alpine. Where are you coming from and how far do you feel like driving?
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Don't forget about our local front range trails, from south to north.
    Waterton Caynon, always a classic, to the "river and back" or further...
    Buffalo Creek and the Colorado trail, again classics... (hard tail, and SS friendly!)
    Mount Falcon, lair the Bear, loop it or out and back.
    There'e a few more parks in the same area, go to jeffco open space for more information.
    White Ranch, the furthest north Jeffco park, you can get 20+ miles, tons of climbing and technical too. (a local favorite for some of the more techy trails, up & down)
    Don't forget centennial cone park, a great ride, lots of climbing and milage...beautiful place
    Although never necessary, full sus will be a lot more fun anywhere in Colorado!!!
    Maverick Suspension Inc.
    Servicing all Suspension
    Mavericksuspension.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    were coming from the philadelphia area. i found santa fe from 7-8k ft. to be doable. when i hit 10K + one day it was pretty hard for a while.

if we drive we have the day we land....then we drive....set up for 3 days in a general area and ride 3 days would be nice. were used to that. we then drive back to denver last day and go home.thanks fo the help...def looking for some good rides and want to limit exposure to bonking hard- but odnt want to miss something spectacular. also- thee shuttle rides up...we typically ride all the way up but im really down for whatever thats a bit challenging, i dont need to climb 5k feet every day to get to where im going, then climb more....if you know what i mean.

yes- i know this is a kind of wide open question....

Does Not Belong on a Bike
    There are a couple of books on Amazon from Tom Barnhart that are sold in the LBS' regarding trails maybe pick up this one if you are going to base yourself in Denver - http://www.amazon.com/Front-Range-Si...4968456&sr=8-1 too bad his other books are not on Amazon. You may want to google his name and see if he has his own website- I really like his trail books
    This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!

Thread Terrorist
    You know, for 1 day in the Front Range, a nice day would be to hit up Centennial Cone (14+ mile loop that is perfect for hard tails) followed by a nice pint of Evolution IPA in Downtown Golden, CO.

If its on the way, great day! and you'll have time to travel to other destinations.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park